Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,776.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
may i know what an idol is?
An idol is anything that you put before the Lord. It can - and for humankind most commonly is - our own selves, our own will. But it can be other things, even a job, another person, a car, a hobby, anything that we value more than Him.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You've got to give up on this guy.

He can't (and won't) do anything for you. Only God can and will. Move forward from this period of your life ... into what God, Himself, has for you.

God never turns aside a seeking heart. Find rest in Him. He has so much better for you ...

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,776.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your response! But to be honest i feel that i find it hard to love God now.
ive received so much hate and abuse that i feel so angry and resentful towards God. :( how do i deal with these feelings?
You turn them over to Him. He understands that you have been hurt. Ask him to heal you from all that hurt and to see, and experience, His love for you. If you are very healthy, a once a week 24 hour water only fast, with prayer, will work wonders over time.

Reactions: Zhen
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your response! But to be honest i feel that i find it hard to love God now.
ive received so much hate and abuse that i feel so angry and resentful towards God. :( how do i deal with these feelings?
1Jn 4 tells us that we love because He first loved us. Everything we have is a gift from God. Our love for Him reflects His for us. If you're having problems realizing that reality, return to the cross and consider what love Jesus had for you to go through that. That "while we were sinners, Christ died for the ungodly". There is no love equal to that. And He did it voluntarily, to reconcile you back to the Father.

If in returning to the cross you find something blocking the reality of that love, it is an idol. Whether it's a person, an offense, or a desire to live life on your own terms, it is separating you from your Maker and true love, and it has to go if you are ever going to have peace and enduring joy.

Upvote 0

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An idol is anything that you put before the Lord. It can - and for humankind most commonly is - our own selves, our own will. But it can be other things, even a job, another person, a car, a hobby, anything that we value more than Him.

um something we put before the Lord..?

Upvote 0

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You've got to give up on this guy.

He can't (and won't) do anything for you. Only God can and will. Move forward from this period of your life ... into what God, Himself, has for you.

God never turns aside a seeking heart. Find rest in Him. He has so much better for you ...

but why won't he do anything for me :( but the things i read in horoscope told me otherwise, that the guy and i would help one another throughout life, etc. unless horoscope isn't true..?

the reason why i chose this guy over God was because of my depression and suicidal thoughts. i wanted to end my life and i thought i could have hope of a better life through this guy :/ now that i give up on him won't it mean i will have to go back to being hopeless..? :( i think this is why i find it hard to let go...

Upvote 0

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You turn them over to Him. He understands that you have been hurt. Ask him to heal you from all that hurt and to see, and experience, His love for you. If you are very healthy, a once a week 24 hour water only fast, with prayer, will work wonders over time.

um but i'm not very healthy now... may i know how i can do fasting if im not as healthy currently..?

Upvote 0

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1Jn 4 tells us that we love because He first loved us. Everything we have is a gift from God. Our love for Him reflects His for us. If you're having problems realizing that reality, return to the cross and consider what love Jesus had for you to go through that. That "while we were sinners, Christ died for the ungodly". There is no love equal to that. And He did it voluntarily, to reconcile you back to the Father.

If in returning to the cross you find something blocking the reality of that love, it is an idol. Whether it's a person, an offense, or a desire to live life on your own terms, it is separating you from your Maker and true love, and it has to go if you are ever going to have peace and enduring joy.

to be honest i still don't fully understand this: "while we were sinners, Christ died for the ungodly" :/ why would Christ need to die for the ungodly..? And why are we sinners..?

Upvote 0

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't sound like God to me. He is not the author of confusion, but of peace (1Cor 11; James 3). He does not reproach when we ask for wisdom (James 1).

I feel the issue with the other two is a distraction. The main issue is your relationship with God. Get that right and the rest falls into place (Mt 6.33).

Understand that God has not let you down. He cannot do that, because it would violate His character and His word. He promises to work all things for the good for those who love Him (Rom 8.28), but that does not mean that everything that happens to us is good. Thus the need for faith and perseverance.

Where else do you have to go? If you cannot trust your heavenly Father, who then can you trust?

As for the other two people, first note what David writes:

Against You — You alone — I have sinned and done this evil in Your sight. So You are right when You pass sentence; You are blameless when You judge. -Ps 51:4​

God can take care of the other two. And if He wants you to play a part in their redemption, He will give you a sense of clarity and peace about it. But if you're in doubt and confusion, you won't be able to hear His voice accurately. The first step is to go to the Lord and (re)establish your relationship with Him. In due time the rest will be clear to you.

um to be honest i find that i still have resentment towards God :( would romans 8:28 still apply to me..?

Upvote 0

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The difference, without God, you face life's troubles, all alone, by yourself. With God, He is there to be your shield and your refuge, against the troubles of this world.

What does the word refuge make you think of? Maybe an imposing building with locks on the doors, maybe a thick-walled fortress, or perhaps something as simple as a canopy to keep you dry in a rainstorm. Whatever picture comes to mind, it can be agreed that a refuge is a safe place. When the Bible describes God as our refuge, it is saying that God is our safe place when we need protection from something.

Knowing God as our refuge enables us to trust Him more freely. We need not fear situations or people who threaten our well-being, whether in a physical or spiritual sense. There is no situation we will ever face that is out of God’s control, so the best place to be, always, is right with Him. “The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe” (Proverbs 18:10).

A question that arises is “how do I make God my refuge?” It’s easy to picture a physical refuge protecting us from some danger, but how can we make God—whom we can’t see—our refuge?

David is a great example of someone who knew God as his refuge. At different points in his life, David was on the run from people who literally wanted to kill him, but he always found safety in God. “My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge” (Psalm 62:7–8). An easy way to make God our refuge is to simply ask Him to be. David said, “Pour out your hearts to him”; that’s what David did all the time. He poured out his heart to God about what was going on in his life and asked God to intervene on his behalf. When we turn to God for help or protection, we begin to know Him as our refuge.

In contrast to David’s faith, the leaders of Israel in Isaiah’s day tried to find security in things other than God. In Isaiah 28:15, the Lord rebukes them for making “a lie our refuge and falsehood our hiding place.” God then offers them a true refuge: “See I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic. I will make justice the measuring line; hail will sweep away your refuge, the lie, and water will overflow your hiding place” (Isaiah 28:16–18). We may be tempted to look for safety in things other than God, but such things can only provide a false sense of security. God is the only real refuge we’ll ever find.

God is our refuge. However, that does not mean He will never lead us into difficult or dangerous situations. Jesus led the disciples into a boat, knowing full well that a violent storm was brewing; the disciples were terrified, but Jesus, their refuge, calmed the storm (Matthew 8:23–27). When we are in God’s will, we can face even the most dangerous situations with confidence, because God is with us.

Countless times, God led the Israelites into battles against armies much more powerful than they, yet when they trusted God and obeyed Him, they always came out victorious (see Joshua chapters 6 and 8 for some examples). Jesus told us, “In me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

No matter what our circumstance, the safest place to be is always in the center of God’s will. He promises to be our refuge: “‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’ So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’” (Hebrews 13:5–6).

amen, thank you so much for this! :)

but there's one issue >< with regards to this bible verse: “The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe” (Proverbs 18:10)
i don't know if i can run to God for help as i'm not righteous ><

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What kind of "stuff" were you told to do to bring back that couple? Please explain. If it does not line up with Scriptures, it is not of your Heavenly Father.

First, if you feel the Lord is telling you to save anyone, that cannot be from Him. Esther was saving her people in regard to their physical bodies. But only the Lord can save souls.

There is more than one voice out there Zhen. There is the voice of the Lord, which will line up with Scriptures, and then there is the voice of "the father of lies." If you are being told to save people, that is not the Lord. Messing around with people who are into satanism could be very dangerous for you spiritually, and who knows how many other ways. The devil would love that.

Of course you should pray for them. But, again, you cannot save them.

I pray you will stop beating yourself up over all this and just leave it all in the hands of the Lord and move on.

hello, um i realized i have not replied this ><

i kept seeing the words 'abortion' and 'suicide', after i sought God in His word, asking Him to show me what would happen to the girl.
perhaps God wants me to do something to bring her back to Him so that she won't listen to the devil and abort her child/attempt suicide?

i keep seeing 'save enemies' and 'post cd'. but i really need the confirmation ><

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Resentment usually comes from unforgivness, i think that you are going to have to forgive them in your heart, and for what they and others have done to you.

Your going to need to pray to God and ask for his help, you dont have to tell everyone personally that you forgive them, but you do need to forgive them.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
to be honest i still don't fully understand this: "while we were sinners, Christ died for the ungodly" :/ why would Christ need to die for the ungodly..? And why are we sinners..?

Sinners cannot abide with God, who is perfect. We needed a sinless mediator who could remove our sins. We cannot do that ourselves. It took Christ.

um to be honest i find that i still have resentment towards God :( would romans 8:28 still apply to me..?

Depends on whether you want to get rid of your resentment.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris35
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,776.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
um but i'm not very healthy now... may i know how i can do fasting if im not as healthy currently..?
I said IF you are healthy. If you not, then that is out of realm as I do not know what you issues are. You can consult with a physician, search on the net, whatever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,776.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You seem to be looking for information, or advice mostly. This is a prayer forum. You might want to take your questions to the Advice Forum.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
amen, thank you so much for this! :)

but there's one issue >< with regards to this bible verse: “The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe” (Proverbs 18:10)
i don't know if i can run to God for help as i'm not righteous ><

You're welcome, glad to help.

Left to ourselves, (Romans 3:10) 'As the Scriptures say, “No one is righteous—not even one.' So who is the righteous, that the verse in Proverbs, above, is talking about?

Those who are saved/Christians, are the righteous, that the Proverbs verse is talking about:

Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith. (Romans 4:3 (NLT)

But people are counted as righteous, not because of their work, but because of their faith in God who forgives sinners. (Romans 4:5 (NLT)

22) And because of Abraham’s faith, God counted him as righteous. 23) And when God counted him as righteous, it wasn’t just for Abraham’s benefit. It was recorded 24) for our benefit, too, assuring us that God will also count us as righteous if we believe in him, the one who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. (Romans 4:22-24 (NLT)
Through our faith in Christ, the righteousness of God is given to us. This is called “imputed” righteousness. To impute something is to ascribe or attribute something to someone. When we place our faith in Christ, God ascribes the perfect righteousness of Christ to our account, so that we become perfect in His sight. “For our sake he made him [Jesus] to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Not only is Christ’s righteousness imputed to us through faith, but our sin is imputed to Christ. That is how Christ paid our sin debt to God. He had no sin in Himself, but our sin is imputed to Him so, as He suffers on the cross, He is suffering the just penalty that our sin deserves. That is why Paul can say, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20).

By having the righteousness of Christ imputed, or attributed, to us, we can be seen as sinless, as Jesus is sinless. We are not righteous in ourselves; rather, we possess Christ’s righteousness applied to our account. It is not our perfection, but Christ’s that God sees when He brings us into fellowship with Himself. We are still sinners in practice, but the grace of God has declared us to have righteous standing before the law.

• Agree
Upvote 0