Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi. So my husband and I co-pastor an Assemblies of God church here in Northern New York. We have been here about 6 months. We currently run a Addiction's recovery ministry called Free-in-Christ as well. We try our best to outreach to our community but the problem is our Community is very content either going to their church (which is totally fine), or just flat out not going at all. This town has been hit HARD economically and the drug epidemic is getting worse and worse.

When we took over this church we had only 3 people, here we are about 6 months later, we have 10 now. But That's it. No matter how much we get out into the community, open the doors, advertise, ect.... nobody comes. My husband and I are exhausted and beat down. We know God put us here for a reason (He opened soooooo many doors for us to get here including us being able to get out of our Military contract with HONORABLE discharge, giving us a rent free/utilities free home, a full time job for me, and so many other blessings), we just do not understand why we are going through this trial. WE are running out of energy and ideas. Do you guys have any ideas....or spare prayers for us?? We desperately need them.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
upload_2017-9-25_19-47-15.jpeg

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are there a number of other local churches or just one? If one, what kind of church is it? If many, are there any cooperative ministry efforts between them? Our Church participates with others in collecting food to distribute through a local food bank.

And I hate to ask (you don't have to answer, just something to think about) ... is there anything that's happened that might make locals leery of that particular church?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When we took over this church we had only 3 people, here we are about 6 months later, we have 10 now. But That's it. No matter how much we get out into the community, open the doors, advertise, ect.... nobody comes. My husband and I are exhausted and beat down.
I would say to relax more and enjoy what you're doing. From 3 to 10 in half a year is actually a phenomenal growth rate, but then you really can't go by math in matters like this.

Focus on the 10 God has given you. Go for depth of character and commitment, and for the manifest presence of God. God will do the rest. I know from experience that small towns can have hidden strongholds. There may have been painful church splits, or corruption in the ministry, or any other stumbling block. The poverty can be a problem as well, whether it be a lack of means of getting to church, or the time to do so when holding down two jobs, or having sunken into a depressed lifestyle.

I would say from your description that you're doing great. You just need to calm down and rejoice in the Lord that He's brought you this far, and trust that He has great things in store for you.

Then he said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the LORD of hosts. -Zech 4:6​

Upvote 0

GuusVA

God's Warrior
Oct 14, 2013
Tongeren Belgium
✟24,641.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi. So my husband and I co-pastor an Assemblies of God church here in Northern New York. We have been here about 6 months. We currently run a Addiction's recovery ministry called Free-in-Christ as well. We try our best to outreach to our community but the problem is our Community is very content either going to their church (which is totally fine), or just flat out not going at all. This town has been hit HARD economically and the drug epidemic is getting worse and worse.

When we took over this church we had only 3 people, here we are about 6 months later, we have 10 now. But That's it. No matter how much we get out into the community, open the doors, advertise, ect.... nobody comes. My husband and I are exhausted and beat down. We know God put us here for a reason (He opened soooooo many doors for us to get here including us being able to get out of our Military contract with HONORABLE discharge, giving us a rent free/utilities free home, a full time job for me, and so many other blessings), we just do not understand why we are going through this trial. WE are running out of energy and ideas. Do you guys have any ideas....or spare prayers for us?? We desperately need them.

WOW going from 3 tot 7 members in under a year is great!

As said before, focus on those 10 members and dont focus on the numbers!

Together with 3 other people I run a church of 50 members and we have declined with 10 the start of the year (they moved to other countries) but have grown 5 members back now! If I would just focus on these numbers I would be totally discouraged! However when I look at the spiritual growth of the church, of specific members, all I can do is praise God for them and their growth!

The work we( as in all church planters/workers) do, isn't based on numbers! We should base our work on God and the fact that the work is done for Him!

In the start I had to learn this the hard way, I know where you are coming from! Dont look at the numbers as in just 10 but as in wow all 10 came today! :)

God bless you in your work and in your life!

Upvote 0

GuitarMia05

Your Friendly Tattooed Pastor/Worship Leader
Apr 17, 2004
Missouri
✟17,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unforchantly we were hit with a new bigger issue. We lost a few members and are back down to 6 (minus my 4) and we just found out that our leadership knew we were financially in trouble (church), but did not inform us until we learned that we do not have the money to pay next months bills. We are giving it all to God but we now have to worry about uprooting our family if we have to close the church. Our personal finances are alr day very depleted as well so at this point we are just trusting God. Please keep us in prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums