Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,765.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I found it interesting to read that in the case of identical twins, the zygote often doesn't separate until 12 days after conception. In the case of conjoined twins, the separation takes even longer. So what happens to the unique soul of that zygote when it splits, requiring that another unique soul be inserted twelve plus days after conception.

Science is interesting. Facts About Identical Twins

Islam holds that ensoulment takes place at about four months' gestation. World religions are far from unanimous in this regard. Religious Groups’ Official Positions on Abortion

Hans Küng and other theologians worked to establish a "global ethic" based on all principles on which every faith group agrees (it pretty much breaks down to the Golden Rule.)

Here is the declaration: http://www.religioustolerance.org/parliame.htm

It mentions things like peace, environmental care, alleviation of poverty--among other things.

And so, as a member of a religiously diverse country, although I consider abortion to be a moral evil (certainly NOT murder) I respectfully submit that we have a mandate to work on those issues in which all religious groups are in agreement--alleviating poverty, caring for the environment, working for world peace. In the mean time, every group that has its own specific moral concerns should feel free to preach them, teach them, and work towards eradicating those evils---but not to impose their own theocracy in a religiously diverse nation.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely. Although the post did give me a great name for my new death metal band.

Look for Murder Factory, on tour next year...
Who’s opening for you? Coat Hanger?

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Life is at conception, therefore ending it through abortion is murder.
Is war considered murder? Are our enlisted, active duty soldiers currently engaged in deadly combat considered murderers? They are killing people, after all. Is the death penalty a murder? If so, would that by extension make the judge, jury, prosecutor and executioner all murderers?

I'm not trying to get you in a "gotcha" type question. I genuinely want to know if you view all these forms of killing the same way you view the termination of a pregnancy.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And having an abortion should absolutely be against the law.
It won't prevent it 100% , but it would definitely decrease abortions.
Where is the value of life ?
If people valued life like they should that would decrease abortions greatly.

So, basically, your plan is to just replace abortion with a swath of unwanted children living miserable lives in poverty with parents who didn't want to be parents?

How is that better than widening contraceptive availability and providing better education and safety nets? At the end of the day, you plan of "just criminalize it" will be a bigger burden on the tax payers that what I've been recommending.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Is that what your crystal ball shows you?
You know the unforeseen outcome ?

Criminalizing abortion doesn't usually stop abortion. Before 1973 abortions still occurred even where illegal and many women suffered horribly and many died.

Abortion should never be the first option, but making it illegal because it interferes with your religious beliefs does not make it much better for people all across the country.

Your religious beliefs are reasonable and clearly dearly held and that is fine. Which means that if you don't want an abortion, definitely DO NOT GET ONE. But the reason this topic shows up whether it is legal or illegal is because each woman must have autonomy over her own body. And not all people share your particular religious beliefs about their own relative value vs the fetus.

I honestly think that the best way to make abortion a thing of the past is to ensure we have good, solid social welfare systems that work across the country. And we need to have solid accessible adoption systems as well.

Yeah, these are going to cost each and every one of us. But really, if one believes a fetus is a sacred life then isn't it worth a bit of money?

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A fetus is not a baby and no one I know thinks that they are.

From the dictionary:

ba·by
/ˈbābē/
noun

1. a very young child, especially one newly or recently born.

This says nothing about a fetus, does it?
Sure, when you want to be selective in your definitions. What is the definition of a fetus (which you conveniently did not provide)?

fe·tus
/ˈfēdəs/
noun
  1. an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.
Now that does say something about a fetus being a baby, doesn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Terminating a life” isn’t the definition of murder.

mur·der
/ˈmərdər/
noun
  1. 1.
    the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

How about we not leave out the dictionary synonyms for murder while you're playing the dictionary game (and not very well, I might add)?

mur·der
/ˈmərdər/
noun
noun: murder; plural noun: murders
  1. 1.
    "the stabbing murder of an off-Broadway producer"
    synonyms: killing, homicide, assassination, liquidation, extermination, execution, slaughter, butchery, massacre;
    manslaughter;
    literaryslaying
    "a brutal murder"

• Agree
Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Their interest is: improve the sexual and reproductive health and well-being of individuals and families across the globe.

Not really. PP's interest is primarily performing abortions. That's where the bulk of their money comes from.

• Agree
Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A fetus is not a baby and no one I know thinks that they are.

A fetus is an unborn baby. Just ask any expectant mother, or any hospital providing antenatal care.

Babies aren’t aborted.

Yes they are. During all three trimesters. That's what the debate is about.

Abortion activists have repeatedly marched in the streets against GOP attempts to restrict 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not really. PP's interest is primarily performing abortions. That's where the bulk of their money comes from.

"Where the bulk of their money comes from" is by no means an indicator of what their primary interest is, it's just an indicator of which service they offer that costs the most, nothing more.

If I owned a business called "Rob's Gadgets", Product A (that costs $3) could be my ultimate passion, but I also offer Product B (that costs $1500).

Undoubtedly, I'll make more money from B at the end of the year, just because I'd have to sell 500 of every A to equal selling one B.

But A could be what I really enjoy doing, and B could be something that I only suggest as a last resort, and I could even promote the idea that "Folks, go with A...A will prevent you from every having to buy B in most cases!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sure, when you want to be selective in your definitions. What is the definition of a fetus (which you conveniently did not provide)?

fe·tus
/ˈfēdəs/
noun
  1. an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.
Now that does say something about a fetus being a baby, doesn't it?
It does. It says that the process of being born is what creates a baby from a fetus. Just like an acorn could’ve considered an “unborn” oak tree.

Also, when I look up the definition of fetus, I get this:

fetus
noun
fe·tus | \ˈfē-təs \
Definition of fetus

: an unborn or unhatched vertebrate especially after attaining the basic structural plan of its kindspecifically : a developing human from usually two months after conception to birth

I don’t see the word baby, do you?

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
How about we not leave out the dictionary synonyms for murder while you're playing the dictionary game (and not very well, I might add)?

mur·der
/ˈmərdər/
noun
noun: murder; plural noun: murders
  1. 1.
    "the stabbing murder of an off-Broadway producer"
    synonyms: killing, homicide, assassination, liquidation, extermination, execution, slaughter, butchery, massacre;
    manslaughter;
    literaryslaying
    "a brutal murder"

The idea that “killing” and “murder” are synonymous is silly, since that would mean that executions are murders, as well asl acts of self defense that end in death.

Of course, when you look up murder on thesaurus.com, there’s no mention of the word “killing” at all.

As it should be...

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A fetus is an unborn baby. Just ask any expectant mother, or any hospital providing antenatal care.

The mother of my child called it a fetus, as did other women I know.

Yes they are. During all three trimesters. That's what the debate is about.

Abortion activists have repeatedly marched in the streets against GOP attempts to restrict 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions.

I’m sure you’re aware that 98.7% of abortions happen before the 20th week of pregnancy. And the vast number of abortions after the 20th week are performed because the health of the mother is at risk.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The mother of my child called it a fetus, as did other women I know.

I have never heard anyone call their own baby a "foetus." I've heard "baby," "bub," and "bun in the oven," but never "foetus."

I’m sure you’re aware that 98.7% of abortions happen before the 20th week of pregnancy.

I'm not at all sure of that, because it's not mandatory to report abortions to the CDC, and so most abortions are not reported.

Also, 20 weeks is halfway into the 2nd trimester.

Upvote 0