jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Planned Parenthood Is Accused of Mistreating Pregnant Employees

I think this is the first time in the secular media that they seriously question Planned Parenthood as an organization. This punches the mantra that pro-lifers only care about pre-born babies and women when they are pregnant. I also think this will change some people's minds about blinding trusting organizations' PR.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
  • Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot of employers do that . I worked for a job that the boss refused to allow a 8 1/2 months pregnant girl to sit down to do her job . Standing for 6 hours was torture for her. We’d all sneak the chair back for her as there was no reason for her to stand up to do her job. I was horrified that he’d mistreat a pregnant woman like that . Of course he was a religious type ( non Christian) but I’ve seen this sort of selfish women-are-baby-machines, behaviour in Christians too

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As Brightmoon points out, it's not just Planned Parenthood. Pregnant women and mothers run into mistreatment and discrimination in a variety of employment situations. The NY Times article cited in the OP contains a link to this article, Pregnancy Discrimination Is Rampant Inside America’s Biggest Companies, which describes the more general situation.

The discrimination is especially ironic when it happens at Planned Parenthood, but Planned Parenthood isn't the only place where it happens.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What political aspect of this would you like to discuss?

The fact that they keep claiming that pro-lifers do nothing for pregnant women, then it's revealed that better fits them.

I do think the political aspect comes in that they keep saying they are fighting for women's right, but this revelation makes it even more of a sham. Because they can't complain about budget issues, when the higher ups get paid handsomely.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A lot of employers do that . I worked for a job that the boss refused to allow a 8 1/2 months pregnant girl to sit down to do her job . Standing for 6 hours was torture for her. We’d all sneak the chair back for her as there was no reason for her to stand up to do her job. I was horrified that he’d mistreat a pregnant woman like that . Of course he was a religious type ( non Christian) but I’ve seen this sort of selfish women-are-baby-machines, behaviour in Christians too

The thing is they keep saying how supporting issues concerning abortion will help women, but then they do this.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The fact that they keep claiming that pro-lifers do nothing for pregnant women, then it's revealed that better fits them.

No one is claiming this so discussing a straw man seems futile.

I do think the political aspect comes in that they keep saying they are fighting for women's right, but this revelation makes it even more of a sham. Because they can't complain about budget issues, when the higher ups get paid handsomely.

How does this revelation make it a sham that they are fighting for women's reproductive rights?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This punches the mantra that pro-lifers only care about pre-born babies and women when they are pregnant.

...while that assertion is typically used as intentional hyperbole to point out the flaws and inconsistencies with the fact that the "pro-life" party (GOP) has policies that make abortion more likely, the fact that PP has policies run afoul of a small subset of their claimed mission statement doesn't negate that nor does it vindicate those who PP are known to criticize...it just means that they, like many other organizations, talk out of both sides of their mouth.

The thing is they keep saying how supporting issues concerning abortion will help women, but then they do this.

I fail to see how one negates the other.

A hospital administrator can make a statement like "Making sure patients receive adequate nutrition will aid in helping them have the best recovery possible, hospitals that serve unhealthy food are just creating more health problems", and then if an article comes out showing that his own hospital is serving bacon cheeseburgers...that does't magically negate his statement or make it untrue, it just means there's some hypocrisy there.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A hospital administrator can make a statement like "Making sure patients receive adequate nutrition will aid in helping them have the best recovery possible, hospitals that serve unhealthy food are just creating more health problems", and then if an article comes out showing that his own hospital is serving bacon cheeseburgers...that does't magically negate his statement or make it untrue, it just means there's some hypocrisy there.

(Shrugs) I don't know. Hypocrisy on how they treat women, compared to how they said they should be treated? It is news.

Talking out of both sides of your mouth? Their interest is: improve the sexual and reproductive health and well-being of individuals and families across the globe. Pointing out they have some aspects of not looking to the well-being of their own employees are worth a bit of criticism if true. Discrimination while pregnant, or losing your job due to maternity leave does tend to fly in the face of their mission statement.

Remember the culture we live in currently. Jumping to intent of malice so you can negate someone/something/etc. is the current acceptable approach to just about anything.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
While it's a shame PP doesn't do a better job at following the relevant laws, the article makes clear that discrimination against pregnant employees is common throughout American businesses and organizations. Shame on everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
...while that assertion is typically used as intentional hyperbole to point out the flaws and inconsistencies with the fact that the "pro-life" party (GOP) has policies that make abortion more likely, the fact that PP has policies run afoul of a small subset of their claimed mission statement doesn't negate that nor does it vindicate those who PP are known to criticize...it just means that they, like many other organizations, talk out of both sides of their mouth.

The thing is you can't blame the GOP for this one, when Planned Parenthood has been against them. They only have themselves to blame, and funny enough I have a feeling in states where they are more regulated with abortion standards they get away with a lot of things.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The thing is you can't blame the GOP for this one, when Planned Parenthood has been against them. They only have themselves to blame, and funny enough I have a feeling in states where they are more regulated with abortion standards they get away with a lot of things.

What do you mean "you can't blame the GOP"? Are you referring to higher abortion rates and higher demand for abortion?

You can certainly blame the policies that are more in-line with GOP voters than PP.

For instance:
-abstinence-only education
-limiting sex education in public school curriculums
-pushing to deny contraception coverage
-pushing to shut down places like PP that offer no-cost contraception
-pushing to gut social safety nets that would benefit a single mother

...all contribute to higher rates and demand for abortion.

The evangelical-rightwing's quest for the enforcement of what they see as "sexual morality" has led to increased rates of the very thing that they claim is the biggest evil facing mankind today. Quite the dose of irony.

...unless you're just simply referring to the specific complaints about how they treat their pregnant employees. Which everyone has already agreed is the fault of PP and nobody else. However, it seems as if you're trying to imply that their infraction somehow negates all of the negative things that have been said about the GOP and conservative entities which, for the reasons I've already listed above, doesn't.

My post was a reply to this statement you made earlier on:
This punches the mantra that pro-lifers only care about pre-born babies and women when they are pregnant.

I don't care of planned parenthood allowed people to smoke around their pregnant employees or had "mandatory sushi Friday's" for all pregnant staff...neither of those would negate the fact that the policies of the GOP and evangelical conservatives fall right in line with the notion that they only care about pre-born babies and don't exhibit much concern for those who are already born.

Planned Parenthood's hypocrisies don't negate the valid criticism about the pro-life agenda. At best, it just means they're doing bad stuff too. That doesn't wipe the pro-life/GOP slate clean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,577.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely. Although the post did give me a great name for my new death metal band.

Look for Murder Factory, on tour next year...
I think "shrouded in deep evil darkness" would be good for a goth band.

Maybe you guys can do a double feature.

• Haha
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(Shrugs) I don't know. Hypocrisy on how they treat women, compared to how they said they should be treated? It is news.
You're right - it is. Hopefully, this will spur them to treat their pregnant and post-partum employees better.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean "you can't blame the GOP"? Are you referring to higher abortion rates and higher demand for abortion?

You can certainly blame the policies that are more in-line with GOP voters than PP.

For instance:
-abstinence-only education
-limiting sex education in public school curriculums
-pushing to deny contraception coverage
-pushing to shut down places like PP that offer no-cost contraception
-pushing to gut social safety nets that would benefit a single mother

...all contribute to higher rates and demand for abortion.

The evangelical-rightwing's quest for the enforcement of what they see as "sexual morality" has led to increased rates of the very thing that they claim is the biggest evil facing mankind today. Quite the dose of irony.

...unless you're just simply referring to the specific complaints about how they treat their pregnant employees. Which everyone has already agreed is the fault of PP and nobody else. However, it seems as if you're trying to imply that their infraction somehow negates all of the negative things that have been said about the GOP and conservative entities which, for the reasons I've already listed above, doesn't.

My post was a reply to this statement you made earlier on:

I don't care of planned parenthood allowed people to smoke around their pregnant employees or had "mandatory sushi Friday's" for all pregnant staff...neither of those would negate the fact that the policies of the GOP and evangelical conservatives fall right in line with the notion that they only care about pre-born babies and don't exhibit much concern for those who are already born.

Planned Parenthood's hypocrisies don't negate the valid criticism about the pro-life agenda. At best, it just means they're doing bad stuff too. That doesn't wipe the pro-life/GOP slate clean.

The thing is Planned Parenthood until now has had unending support from the mainstream media, until Times finally dropped this story. The thing is all the so-called moments from the pro-life movement actually is cherry picking from the pro-choice movement with PP usually doing what they can to shut down pro-life centers.

• Agree
Upvote 0