Phone threat closes school that planned After School Satan Club meetings; superintendent considers review of club's approval

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The sponsor of this club is a self-declared atheist organization. They don't even believe in Satan. They are just media trolls.
If the kids in the club are of the same ilk, I very much doubt that they will continue to devote much time to a being they don't even believe in (unless real Satanists get involved). I expect this club to dissipate very quickly.
Who cares, their message
The sponsor of this club is a self-declared atheist organization. They don't even believe in Satan. They are just media trolls.
If the kids in the club are of the same ilk, I very much doubt that they will continue to devote much time to a being they don't even believe in (unless real Satanists get involved). I expect this club to dissipate very quickly.
Actually, the Satan club seems to be getting more powerful. Why wouldn't Atheist devote more time with it? They know Satan is the devil to many religions. They don't seem to care about their kids or other kids going to these clubs. It takes one person to take the Satan club/temple to the next step. Worshipping Satan. I don't believe the Satan temple is going away at all. It will just get more powerful.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Tiny update (from November) to this one, brought to mind by the Kansas approval in the new thread.

Pennsylvania School District Agrees to Pay $200,000 After Discriminatory Decision to Block After School Satan Club From School Facilities

In a victory for free speech and religious liberty, The Satanic Temple, Inc. (TST) has reached a settlement with the Saucon Valley School District in a lawsuit alleging that district officials improperly blocked TST’s After School Satan Club (ASSC) from meeting in school facilities. The settlement comes approximately six months after a federal court ordered the school district to allow the ASSC to convene at the Saucon Valley Middle School, ruling that the district had likely violated the First Amendment when it prevented students and families from gathering on school grounds in connection with the TST-sponsored club.

The district has agreed to pay $200,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs to TST’s attorneys.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Tiny update (from November) to this one, brought to mind by the Kansas approval in the new thread.

Pennsylvania School District Agrees to Pay $200,000 After Discriminatory Decision to Block After School Satan Club From School Facilities

In a victory for free speech and religious liberty, The Satanic Temple, Inc. (TST) has reached a settlement with the Saucon Valley School District in a lawsuit alleging that district officials improperly blocked TST’s After School Satan Club (ASSC) from meeting in school facilities. The settlement comes approximately six months after a federal court ordered the school district to allow the ASSC to convene at the Saucon Valley Middle School, ruling that the district had likely violated the First Amendment when it prevented students and families from gathering on school grounds in connection with the TST-sponsored club.

The district has agreed to pay $200,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs to TST’s attorneys.
What a complete waste of school district money.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if people would feel the same way about a Nazi club. Do schools allow those?

I mean free speech and all.
Try to start one and let us know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

LoL, $200k and the group still gets to meet.

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,980.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Try to start one and let us know.
Why? I'm not a Nazi.

It's a hypothetical question.

I noticed you didn't answer it. I find that interesting. You see people are all about supporting clubs they feel are okay. The Satanist club of course is opposite of the Christians so everyone is all about free speech clubs like that. I wonder if they'd be so quick to defend a Nazi club. Or is free speech only for certain clubs?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,980.00
Faith
Pentecostal
LoL, $200k and the group still gets to meet.
What a waste of taxpayer funds. I wonder how long the club will last. I imagine there will be a few weird people in it and then a bunch of lookie loos who will come just to see what it's about and then bail cause they were there just for curiosity sake.

Will it end with a great loss of interest?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
What a waste of taxpayer funds. I wonder how long the club will last. I imagine there will be a few weird people in it and then a bunch of lookie loos who will come just to see what it's about and then bail cause they were there just for curiosity sake.

Of course you would consider them weird people considering you know nothing about them.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well, that’s what settlements usually are. A financially punitive action to reinforce civil wrongdoing won’t be tolerated.

And they’re teens and it’s a club, of course it will end with there being a loss of interest. Which makes their choice to restrict it or be penalized even more baffling.

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why? I'm not a Nazi.

I noticed you didn't answer it. I find that interesting. You see people are all about supporting clubs they feel are okay. The Satanist club of course is opposite of the Christians so everyone is all about free speech clubs like that. I wonder if they'd be so quick to defend a Nazi club. Or is free speech only for certain clubs?
I think the issue here is freedom of religion, not speech. Satanic Temple calls itself a religious organization and claims the same religion rights that others enjoy.

I do know that schools have never been considered complete free speech zones, and clubs dedicated to harming others would probably not be tolerated in that context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why? I'm not a Nazi.

The big difference, which we all see but you apparently don’t, lies in that Nazis advocate violence and the overthrowing of ideologies and modes of life through force.

“I hate blacks, Jews, and all non-Aryan races” is somebody using freedom of speech to say hateful, moronic, bigoted things. “I hate blacks, Jews, and all non-Aryan races, so let’s meet to discuss how to destroy their property, commit violence, and subjugate them” would not be freedom of speech.

Kind of like “Joe Biden stole the election” is a moronic use of freedom of speech, but since it’s freedom of speech and not freedom of intelligent-only speech, it’s fine. “Joe Biden stole the election so let’s meet on Jan 6th in the capitol to lynch Pence and hold Nancy Pelosi hostage” is not freedom of speech and thus you can’t hold a club to discuss your plans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
As the thread on the club in Olathe notes:

[The law requires that] if the school allows one club, it allows all — providing the application process is complete and the group meets the guidelines for recognition.

The guidelines likely bar hate groups, and it might be difficult to find a faculty advisor, but if the guidelines are met, schools must allow the group. And I have no problem with that.

• Agree
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Once again America shows it can do the right thing to stop bad actors riding roughshod of people's most cherished beliefs. A rare win for the faithful.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why? I'm not a Nazi.

No, it is not a hypothetical question. It is an attempt to poison the well. You are intimating people would not support it without any evidence. So give it a shot and see how it goes. Until then it is nothing but conjecture on your part.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why not just have an Atheist club and call it that?

Satan, whether you believe that he's an actual being or just a literary character, has a long history of being the personification of evil. Things like murder, rape, suffering, injustice, all manner of violence and crime are inextricably linked to that name. Even when such evil is performed by religious leaders it can be described as satanic and most people will get the point.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Satan, whether you believe that he's an actual being or just a literary character, has a long history of being the personification of evil. Things like murder, rape, suffering, injustice, all manner of violence and crime are inextricably linked to that name. Even when such evil is performed by religious leaders it can be described as satanic and most people will get the point.
The adherents of a “faith” or religion get to define the deity(ies) of that religion or faith.
Popular (or traditional) notions as to the nature of such deities don’t enter into it.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

1) Many of those things are also true of Christianity though.
2) Even if that wasn't true, part of the whole point of using the name Satan is to upset Christians in a way an atheist club wouldn't. This is more about trying to drive home the point about complete separation of Church's and State by using a name that Christians, the people in power, would find inherently abhorrent.

Upvote 0