For the second time in three days, libraries in several Chicago suburbs were forced to close on Thursday due to violent threats.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Aurora libraries were one of nearly a dozen across the Chicago area targeted by bomb threats on Tuesday. The threats forced the closure of those locations, but they were reopened Wednesday.

Other libraries were also impacted by threats, including a branch of the Joliet Public Library, which closed for a time after a threat was received online.

Fountaindale Public Library in Bolingbrook was also threatened through an online chat service, forcing an evacuation and a soft lockdown at nearby schools.

Oak Park, Evanston, Addison all were threatened as well.

The threats earlier this week came as Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias testified at a U.S. Senate Judiciary hearing on the state's first-in-the-nation ban against book bans.

The first-of-its-kind law, signed by Gov. J.B. Pritzker on June 12, states that Illinois public libraries that restrict or ban materials because of “partisan or doctrinal” disapproval will be ineligible for state funding as of Jan. 1, 2024, when the new law goes into effect.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The idea of our becoming a society that bans books makes me very sad and a little scared. It's not my notion of what living in a "free" country is supposed to be.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

So you got Debra there...and you can click on more information to see her relationship with libraries nationwide.

So, to be clear, if you thought this was anything other than a campaign to sexualise your child, or other people's children, you were probably duped.

You were duped by a "sustained messaging campaign" that said "it's actually about equality, or diversity, or representation....not sexuality".

You drank the Kool aid.

For more information on where this dumb idea came from and how easily you ate it up....

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The idea of our becoming a society that bans books makes me very sad and a little scared. It's not my notion of what living in a "free" country is supposed to be.

Fortunately, there's no book bans. You can, to my knowledge, buy these books online.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OP's article is about public libraries, not school libraries. Books you can buy online should be available in your public library. If you don't want to read it, don't check it out. If you don't want your child to read it, don't let them check it out or make them take it back. Be a parent. But don't prevent others from making a choice for themselves.

BTW, your average teenager has more graphic content available to them on the smart phone in their pocket than in their school library.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OP's article is about public libraries, not school libraries. Books you can buy online should be available in your public library.

That's an absurd proposal.

Shelf space in any library is finite.

BTW, your average teenager has more graphic content available to them on the smart phone in their pocket than in their school library.

I don't think anyone is concerned about the average teenager.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP's article is about public libraries, not school libraries. Books you can buy online should be available in your public library. If you don't want to read it, don't check it out. If you don't want your child to read it, don't let them check it out or make them take it back. Be a parent. But don't prevent others from making a choice for themselves.

Would you be okay with Hustler and Playboy being in the public library? Worse things are available on their phones right?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually, when I was a child decades ago my public library had a periodical subscription to Playboy not on public display. It could only be accessed by adults. I was in and out of the library every week unscathed. Nonetheless, I don't think that is part of the current discussion of kinds of materials folks are trying to prohibit.

While it is true public libraries have a finite amount of shelf space, I think they need to stock books of interest to a wide spectrum of readers, not limited by one group.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Would you be okay with Hustler and Playboy being in the public library? Worse things are available on their phones right?
I think the point being made us that if you want to keep what you consider to be inappropriate content away from your kids then threatening your local library is a farcically misplaced reaction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hustler no, but Playboy, certainly. The average issue was 120 pages with about 10 of them dedicated to pictorials.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the point being made us that if you want to keep what you consider to be inappropriate content away from your kids then threatening your local library is a farcically misplaced reaction.
When you can take away their phones and put filters on the internet and they can just go to the library and get inappropriate material some people may see that as a problem

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When you can take away their phones and put filters on the internet and they can just go to the library and get inappropriate material some people may see that as a problem
Maybe somebody who has no knowledge of what can be accessed on a phone and no idea what's available at a library might think that if a young boy (it's invariably boys who are interested in 'inappropriate material') has his phone removed immediately thinks 'hey, I'll go the library - they have exactly the same stuff I could get on my phone'.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have no problem with that. But it should be in the adult only section. My library has different section. We have a very young children section, older kids section, teens section and grown ups sections.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe somebody who has no knowledge of what can be accessed on a phone and no idea what's available at a library might think that if a young boy (it's invariably boys who are interested in 'inappropriate material') has his phone removed immediately thinks 'hey, I'll go the library - they have exactly the same stuff I could get on my phone'.
Would this pervious phone-toting boy even know about the existence of libraries?
(Do kids who only know of streamed compressed music know about vinyl?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Would this pervious phone-toting boy even know about the existence of libraries?
(Do kids who only know of streamed compressed music know about vinyl?)
This is the weird thing. I understand how streaming music works. I know how a CD operates. I undestand how tape records and replays music. But I am completely flummoxed by how there is so much information produced by dragging a needle through a groove in a piece of vinyl. It's...witchcraft.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This is the weird thing. I understand how streaming music works. I know how a CD operates. I undestand how tape records and replays music. But I am completely flummoxed by how there is so much information produced by dragging a needle through a groove in a piece of vinyl. It's...witchcraft.
There is a cottage industry for vinyl aficionados.
There’s also a set of rubrics for the care and storage of records, with subsets for vinyl, wax or cylinders; things do do (and not do) for each “flavor” too.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Sound is wiggles in air, and it can be encoded in wiggles in vinyl. I admit the encoding of stereo is pretty clever and not-so-obvious.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sound is wiggles in air, and it can be encoded in wiggles in vinyl. I admit the encoding of stereo is pretty clever and not-so-obvious.
It was a year ago or so I read a report that someone suggested that markings on Greek pottery (etched as the pot turned on the wheel) might contain some vibrations that they might be able to decypher as the potter's speech. From wiki: Archaeoacoustics - Wikipedia

'As discussed in an episode of MythBusters (Episode 62: Killer Cable Snaps, Pottery Record) while some generic acoustic phenomena can be found on pottery, it is unlikely that any discernible sounds (like someone talking) could be recorded on the pots, unless ancient people had the technical knowledge to deliberately put the sounds on the artifacts.'

Upvote 0