Philosophical arguments against the existence of God

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What of those who received different information "in the spirit"?

If the information contradicts the information I have received and the information I have received is true, then they have received false information.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If the information contradicts the information I have received and the information I have received is true, then they have received false information.
Isn't it possible that you have received false information or reached the wrong conclusion?

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do you assess the truth value of a claim, if not through some form of testability?

You assess the claim by using a method of assessment suitable for the claim. A claim subject to being verified by empirical means can be assessed by said means. A claim that is not must be assessed by other means.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

How do you test (independently and objectively), whether the information you have received, is true or not?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You assess the claim by using a method of assessment suitable for the claim. A claim subject to being verified by empirical means can be assessed by said means. A claim that is not must be assessed by other means.

Give us examples, of how you access truth, when empirical means are not possible.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Given that your theological commitments are not amenable to reason, in what sense are they reasonable?

Being a proponent of the view of the ministerial use of reason as a servant to the gospel does not entail that my beliefs, especially beliefs that for me are properly basic, are not amenable to reason. It just entails that reason serves the gospel, not that the gospel is unreasonable.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being a proponent of the view of the ministerial use of reason as a servant to the gospel does not entail that my beliefs, especially beliefs that for me are properly basic, are not amenable to reason. It just entails that reason serves the gospel, not that the gospel is unreasonable.

Explain; "ministerial use of reason".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But that is simply another way of saying that your theological commitments are not amenable to reason, or that you will dismiss as "illegitimate" any use of reason that might contravene those commitments or point to the need for revision.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But that is simply another way of saying that your theological commitments are not amenable to reason, or that you will dismiss as "illegitimate" any use of reason that might contravene those commitments or suggest the need for revision.

He got that from Willy Craig.

When well evidenced reality contradicts scripture, scripture always takes priority.

Hey, it is the easy button on steriods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You seem to have repeated what you said here, to which DogmaHunter responded:
What don't you understand about my question?
Here it is again:

How do you assess the truth value of a claim, if not through some form of testability?

Also, you mentioned in your other post that if a claim can't be tested empirically, then one has to assess the truth value thereof through "some other means".

I asked what those "other means" were.

Are you going to answer it? After all YOU said it.

Please, answer the questions.

What are those "other means"?
How to assess the truth value of a claim, if not through some form of testing/verification?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I asked you "how".

So what are these "other means"?

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You assess the claim by using a method of assessment suitable for the claim.

Great. How do you do this? This answer is utterly unhelpful; it's like if you say, "I have a method", we ask, "What is that method", and you respond "I have a method". Please provide an example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is related to this question from another thread:
As @The Cadet noted, faith can be used to justify whatever one wishes, so it cannot be relied on for knowledge.

How does "demonstration of the Spirit" work and how can it be used to establish which supernatural claims have merit?

Upvote 0