✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great. How do you do this?
Depends on what type of claim it is.

Please provide an example.

If someone tells me I have 40psi of air in my left front tire on my car, I will get a tire pressure gauge and check it. If the gauge is functioning correctly, and it reads 40psi I know the truth claim is indeed true.

If it is functioning correctly and it reads 20psi, I will know the claim was false.

Regardless, I still have to trust that the gauge is functioning correctly. I can be skeptical all day about the reliability of the gauge, but that does not really get me anywhere.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I asked you "how".

Use something suitable for the specific claim.

If someone tells me I have 40psi of air in my left front tire on my car, I will get a tire pressure gauge and check it. If the gauge is functioning correctly, and it reads 40psi I know the truth claim is indeed true.

If it is functioning correctly and it reads 20psi, I will know the claim was false.

Regardless, I still have to trust that the gauge is functioning correctly. I can be skeptical all day about the reliability of the gauge, but that does not really get me anywhere

So what are these "other means"?
Depends on what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Depends on what type of claim it is.

Regardless, I still have to trust that the gauge is functioning correctly. I can be skeptical all day about the reliability of the gauge, but that does not really get me anywhere.

The good news is, you can always verify the gauge is working properly.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
How do you assess the truth value of a claim, if not through some form of testability?

...No, I'd say that physically testing a gauge counts as "some form of testability". Y'wanna try again?

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟143,395.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Use something suitable for the specific claim.

Regardless, I still have to trust that the gauge is functioning correctly. I can be skeptical all day about the reliability of the gauge, but that does not really get me anywhere

That's an empirical test.
I asked about how you assess the truth value of a claim, if not through some form of testability...

Depends on what you are talking about.

You're the one that brought it up.... That's what I'm asking about.
Why do you refuse to answer it properly?

Upvote 0