Perpetual "slamming" - right, even for a cult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreesNTrees

Jan 3, 2006
✟7,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today, I have a couple of questions that I'm seeking scriptural insight for. I posted about this in the Pentecostal section too.

There is a website, with a forum, that I've been too a few times over the past couple of years:

http://www.greasespotcafe.com

I posted about the Grease Spot in the Pentecostal section, because they seem to be ex-followers of The Way International, which is supposed to be very similar to Pentecostal churches in many regards.

That Grease Spot appears to be doing something that I've never seen on any Biblical, Christian or faith bases website before. It seems almost entirely dedicated to "slamming" or putting down a religious group, especially the deceased founder, and a previous clergyman, who was it's president.

Has anybody ever come across a "christian" group before that commits years to smearing people.

Now what's got me curious, and this is why I posted in this forum on theology...

What scriptures or scriptural guidelines are appropriate regarding speaking out against somebody, or some belief?

I recall Paul warning Timothy or someone, about a Silversmith and some certain harm he did. But I'm only aware of it being written once.

Is it unfair to use a person or group as a target or example? Or is it okay for a time if their doctrine in unpure?

Would there be any profit in talking about a dead person's sins on a continual basis? (If the witnesses are few or lacking, wouldn't it be a bit confusing to validate or refute the sin).

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
It is not unusual for people who have been hurt in a church situation, and have discovered discrepancies with God's word and the teaching fo the "Cult" to loudly decry the "ministry."
Often they do this to warn others of their perceived dangers to the spiritual condition of the unwary new intake.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that, at least on a personal level, we are all guilty of this. Further, whether it is the RCCs position on being the True Church or the bit about the Pope in the Westminster Confessions there is a degree of "institutional" slamming as seen by outsiders, if you will.

That being said I'm not entirely sure that most folks are involved in "perpetual slamming" though in discussions about doctrine it can be hard to distinguish at times. Are there things that get peoples' English up? Of course. However, at the end of the day I'm not sure they they're going to bed angry. At least I hope not.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on what you consider "slamming". There are various websites out there that call themselves missions against various cults. At some points, these sites could be called "slamming". But I think there's a fine line between informing the public about the dangers of a cult and "slamming". These websites might be slamming the cult, but they also provide a much needed service. When I first started attended church, the church had a name that was very similar to a cult group. If I hadn't come across a "slamming" type anti-cult site, I might not have known the difference between my church and that of the cult group.

kamikat

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
From the site:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GreaseSpot Cafe is a gathering place, bringing together people and information. We welcome all who have an interest in The Way International, including former followers, current followers, and those who may have friends or family members who are involved.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Our mission is to provide information that tells the other side of the story about The Way International and its trustees. Our hope is that GreaseSpot Cafe serves as a place where those who have been impacted by The Way can make connections with people and information which will support their particular process of recovery.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We want people to be able to make informed decisions regarding their past, present, and future affiliations with The Way International (TWI).

[/FONT]With this in mind, it's definitely a needed ministry.

I was familiar with the Way in the 70's, and it wasn't connected with the Pentecostal church at all--the local chapter tried to be as independent as they could get.
[/FONT]I understand your concern, but it seems that it takes at least as long to unlearn cult thinking as it did to learn/adopt it. It's difficult to understand the impact on your mind unless you've been through it.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh--scriptures...

Mt 3:7
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

"Therefore bear fruit in keeping with repentance; and do not suppose that you can say to yourselves, `We have Abraham for our father'; for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham."

Mt 12:34
You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.

Mt 23:33
You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

Lu 3:7
So he began saying to the crowds who were going out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Isa 56:11 - [ In Context | Read Chapter |
And the dogs are greedy, they are not satisfied. And they are shepherds who have no understanding; They have all turned to their own way, Each one to his unjust gain, to the last one.

Jer 10:21 - [ In Context | Read Chapter |
For the shepherds have become stupid And have not sought the LORD; Therefore they have not prospered, And all their flock is scattered.

Jer 12:10 - [ In Context | Read Chapter |
"Many shepherds have ruined My vineyard, They have trampled down My field; They have made My pleasant field A desolate wilderness.

Jer 23:1 - [ In Context | Read Chapter |
Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of My pasture!" declares the LORD.

Therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel concerning the shepherds who are tending My people: "You have scattered My flock and driven them away, and have not attended to them; behold, I am about to attend to you for the evil of your deeds," declares the LORD.

Eze 34:2 - [ In Context | Read Chapter |
"Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and say to those shepherds, `Thus says the Lord GOD, "Woe, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flock?

Eze 34:8 - [ In Context | Read Chapter |
"As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "surely because My flock has become a prey, My flock has even become food for all the beasts of the field for lack of a shepherd, and My shepherds did not search for My flock, but rather the shepherds fed themselves and did not feed My flock...

.Uh...God in all his tact and political correctness...defending His people like a mother lion with cubs.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That Grease Spot appears to be doing something that I've never seen on any Biblical, Christian or faith bases website before. It seems almost entirely dedicated to "slamming" or putting down a religious group, especially the deceased founder, and a previous clergyman, who was it's president.

The Way International was never a Christian organization. Many have rightly labeled it as a cult.
The Way International literature denied that Jesus is God in the historic Christian sense. The founder Victor Paul Wierwille setup a highly structured organization with power focused at the top level. The leadership was often very controlling, manipulative and steeped in all kinds of behavioral sin. The website is mainly folks who were formerly TWI members, those who gave a considerable part of their life to an organization that they felt conned them in a big way.

Has anybody ever come across a "christian" group before that commits years to smearing people.

Yes, if you surf enough on the internet then you will encounter a number of religious websites that would be classified as a "smear" campaign, a diatribe, or even being downright hateful.

However I would not characterize the folks at the GreaseSpotCafe as smearing Weirwille and/or Martindale. On the whole I would say they are remarkably objective about the issues I've seen. Weirwille made certain specific claims which ought to be compared with what he actually did. Its unethical for anyone in power to abuse others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.