Kolbu
✟21,186.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I mean, we did get into space by essentially sitting on a tube full of highly and incredibly combustible fuel. Just because the other guy was doing it.

That screams hillbilly to me.

Good point you`re making really also, because planets are moving away from eachothers also faster and faster, so simply just go into space with a space-craft, isn`t doing much

Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
I mean, we did get into space by essentially sitting on a tube full of highly and incredibly combustible fuel. Just because the other guy was doing it.

The technology from making (nuclear) weapons

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

And I'm sure someone drank a few too many and said, "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it`s quite simple, the universe is 14 billion years old, right, but no one have developed the necessary technology to find life, since we haven`t been visited, I know many people say they have, but the evidence they are lying lies in the fact that they aren`t super-happy from being visited, they wouldn`t like sit still and just talk about it normally, so there`s no way to send a signal faster than the speed of light, or visit us with space-ships, life would form everywhere there`s warm water and plants and a stable enviroment over time, so I guess there`s life out there, but like I said, 14 billion years and no one can do it
While (as you've said) a planet has to be stable enough for life over vast time, billions of years here on Earth to evolve to us....an advanced intelligence with general ability and language ability like ours, another final barrier other than lightspeed and technology is also the barrier of self-annihilation exactly because a species is intelligent and creates technology: that once an evolved species is having advanced technology, it could quite easily use it to self-destruct in wars, as wars are one of the drivers of technology advancement.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” - Douglas Adams

Time to break out the Fermi Paradox. Our observations of earth and the rest of the universe suggest that the universe is very old, that other planetary systems likely have the conditions to support life and that if intelligent life can arise on earth, it could arise anywhere. This suggests that life should be plentiful in the galaxy/wider universe.

So, where is everyone?

There dozens of potential candidate answers

1. We're the first. Humans are the first creatures capable of achieving spaceflight and observing the universe. Or the only creatures that are capable.
2. Our neighborhood is empty/intelligence is rare. There's life in the rest of the universe, but anything that's observable is beyond our current detection ranges. Alternatively, life is really rare meaning it may be so far away it's never directly observable
4. Travel is prohibitively difficult. Light is an actual speed limit. Distances between habitable planets are too far and an intelligent species capable of developing spaceflight may still not be able to make the step outside of their home system.
5. Life is out there, but it's not advertising itself (Dark Forest theory). There may be spacefaring species out there, but they're either not advertising their presence or are actively hiding
6. Civilisations are killing themselves. Creatures that can develop spaceflight may also develop weapons that are capable of extinction level events, thus wiping themselves out before they can be found/discover us.
7. Something is killing civilisations. Creatures that can develop spaceflight are being killed off by other, even more advanced creatures.
8. Natural extinction level events. Creatures that can develop spaceflight are still vulnerable to natural extinction.
9. Non-expansionist aliens/technological singularity. Creatures that can develop spaceflight just aren't interested in pushing beyond their solar system. Alternatively, species might hit a technological point where they turn inwards rather than outwards.
10. We might not be able to recognise the signs of non-human intelligent life. There may be life out there, but we simply cant recognise it as its too alien/outside our frame of reference.
11. Earth is a preserve/zoo. There are intelligent species out there, but earth is being deliberately avoided for some reason.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,450.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, it`s quite simple, the universe is 14 billion years old, right, but no one have developed the necessary technology to find life, since we haven`t been visited, I know many people say they have, but the evidence they are lying lies in the fact that they aren`t super-happy from being visited, they wouldn`t like sit still and just talk about it normally, so there`s no way to send a signal faster than the speed of light, or visit us with space-ships, life would form everywhere there`s warm water and plants and a stable enviroment over time, so I guess there`s life out there, but like I said, 14 billion years and no one can do it
Um, what's your point

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We can’t break the speed of light,
until the day we can.

How can you postulate it within the present axiomatic framework?

Maybe with space folding back on itself , which others might call a wormhole.
So actually you bend space till the two points are at the same place.
Then maybe you can step slowly a distance light years away by other routes.

what we observe may well be a projection of higher dimensions.
The projection can have many to one mappings.

Two places in the coordinate frame could be the same So travel through another dimension.

( shouting “ Diagon Alley” might help so I read somewhere )

Can gravity do it in extremis? well singularities are modelled where other laws break down.

Can electrostatic or magnetic fields do it?
What if i10 , 100 or thousand ORDERS of magnitude bigger? A different kind of singularity.

Can you do it without ripping yourself or others to shreds. Makes it tougher of course.
Then The law of unintended consequences. You travel by distance many light years. But sadly to a different time!

Astute observers will notice that old tests done on the speed of light have had small significant but irritating differences. Why? Is that “ modifiable”. Till they “ fixed” it of course. Literally and metaphorically.

“Cant “ is a cup half empty word.
Science is just a model.

Who knows what the universe can do, and we have yet to model. Or what can be done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why is its edge 46.5 billion light years from Earth?
Did this get answered for you yet?

It's a great question -- it's the kind of questioning (how do things work?) that physicists do.

"One of the fundamental rules we all learn in physics — set forth by Einstein more than 100 years ago — is that there's an ultimate speed limit that everything in the Universe must obey: the speed of light. That fundamental speed, 299,792,458 m/s, is the speed at which all massless particles must travel through the vacuum of space. If you have mass, you can only approach (but never reach) that speed; if you travel through a medium instead of a vacuum, you can only travel slower than that ultimate cosmic limit. But if that's true, then how come we can see objects in our Universe, which began with a Big Bang some 13.8 billion years ago, that are up to 46 billion light-years away? That's at the heart of Robert Lipinski's question, which asks:
Why does the fabric of space-and-time expand faster than the speed of light?
It's one of the most difficult concepts in all of physics to understand, but we're up to the challenge. Let's find out."

(continues...)
Ask Ethan: How Does The Fabric Of Spacetime Expand Faster Than The Speed Of Light?

As you will learn -- it's one of the most amazing discoveries in all of nature for us: Hubble found in 1929 that the Universe is expanding.

Which also implied instantly that the Universe had a beginning.

:)

(the only alternative theory without a beginning moment (multiverse theories, eternal inflation, etc. each imply a beginning for any individual universes) for a Universe that is non-static, that is expanding (our Universe is expanding from an apparent singularity like event about 13.8 bn years ) -- there's only one possible type of theory that would seem it could possibly avoid having a beginning for such a Universe: a cyclic Universe theory. But about 100 years ago people realized uch a theory would have entropy problems, and recently it was realized that even newer cyclic universe theory versions that try to avoid that entropy problem it's recently been seen themselves also end up implying a beginning.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it`s quite simple, the universe is 14 billion years old, right, but no one have developed the necessary technology to find life, since we haven`t been visited, I know many people say they have, but the evidence they are lying lies in the fact that they aren`t super-happy from being visited they wouldn`t like sit still and just talk about it normally......
Hello Tjufsen, perhaps it's because the aliens who have visited some of us end up using their disintegration guns on them before they can tell us what they experienced, good or bad (though I'm guessing that "super-happy to have met them" would not have been part of what they had to say, if they could have :oops:).

Silliness aside, I'm curious, why do you think that meeting an extraterrestrial would necessarily result in someone being "super-happy" (even if they were really nice aliens who kept their disintegration guns holstered .. at least at first ;))?

Do you believe/have you discovered that true/lasting (rather than momentary/fleeting) happiness can ever be found in such things, in the externals of life, that is? (I can tell you that, at least for me, I never found true happiness in those things, as good and nice and fun as some of those experiences were, and still are, quite frankly)

Thanks!

--David
p.s. - I do agree with you at least in this, that meeting an extraterrestrial face to face would certainly be a profound experience, be it good or bad or something in-between, and that someone who had such an experience would definitely talk about it, unless they couldn't for some reason, or if they had perhaps been given enough of a compelling/convincing reason not to (at least until the time of the writing of their memoir, that is, or something like that).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While (as you've said) a planet has to be stable enough for life over vast time,
The waterbear pays no attention to stableness, the only thing that will remove the life form from earth. Is when the sun exhaust its fuel and expands to a red giant. Since it can live in the cold vacuum of space that might not either end its life.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The waterbear pays no attention to stableness, the only thing that will remove the life form from earth. Is when the sun exhaust its fuel and expands to a red giant. Since it can live in the cold vacuum of space that might not either end its life.
Yes, those are an amazing creature. They of course are well advanced compared to initial life forms.

Upvote 0