Perfect symmetrical things in nature

Atheuz

It's comforting to know that this isn't a test
May 14, 2007
✟16,641.00
Faith
Atheist
This is one of my major problems with Evolution, so I thought I'd ask here.

If we look at Leonardo Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man and man in general we find that:

• a palm is the width of four fingers
  • a foot is the width of four palms (and is 12 inch)
  • a cubit is the width of six palms
  • a man's height is four cubits (and thus 24 palms)
  • a pace is four cubits
  • the length of a man's outspread arms is equal to his height
  • the distance from the hairline to the bottom of the chin is one-tenth of a man's height
  • the distance from the top of the head to the bottom of the chin is one-eighth of a man's height
  • the maximum width of the shoulders is a quarter of a man's height
  • the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is one-fifth of a man's height
  • the distance from the elbow to the armpit is one-eighth of a man's height
  • the length of the hand is one-tenth of a man's height
  • the distance from the bottom of the chin to the nose is one-third of the length of the head
  • the distance from the hairline to the eyebrows is one-third of the length of the face
  • the length of the ear is one-third of the length of the face

Nearly every bodypart of the human body is connected to other bodyparts, how can random mutations create such perfect symmetrical products without it having some kind of 'goal'. Is this all because of Natural Selection?

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You missed one. (I think). IIRC, your foot is the length of the muscle on the underside of your forearm. The one pressed against your hip when your arms are down at your sides.

Ahem. Anyways, about the symmtery bit. Try looking at it another way.

Where is the best placement for this particular piece? What are the best dimensions for this particular piece? Perhaps an ear 1/3 the length of our face is best (or at least good enough to be passed along) at gathering sound? Perhaps four fingers is the best- selected width of the palms, especially seeing as how the four fingers on top of it are connected straight up and down to the top of it? I mean, with that positioning it's really hard for the palm to be anything BUT 4 fingers wide.

And some of the others are just coincidence, and the fact that we use base 10. Try using base 7 and see if the fractions are so neat. Or base 42.

Just some random thoughts.

Metherion

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,203.00
Faith
Humanist
What metherion said. Also, all of that may be true for the perfectly symmetrical da Vinci drawing, but hardly for man in general. In case you haven't noticed there are tall people with small feet, short people with big feet, stout people with long arms, big-faced people with tiny ears ... the variations go on and on.

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

If we look at Leonardo Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man and man in general we find that:
  • a pace is four cubits
  • the distance from the hairline to the bottom of the chin is one-tenth of a man's height
  • the distance from the top of the head to the bottom of the chin is one-eighth of a man's height
  • the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is one-fifth of a man's height
  • the distance from the bottom of the chin to the nose is one-third of the length of the head
  • the distance from the hairline to the eyebrows is one-third of the length of the face
Nearly every bodypart of the human body is connected to other bodyparts, how can random mutations create such perfect symmetrical products without it having some kind of 'goal'. Is this all because of Natural Selection?

Might be more of an argument if every man were like this man, without variation.

Upvote 0

jwu

Sep 18, 2004
✟9,329.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
If you search long enough, then you find plenty of such correlations almost everywhere. And of course they don't apply to anyone, and the accuracy of measurement is important.

Such lists of correlations usually also leave out all those other possible correlations which do not occur.

a foot is the width of four palms (and is 12 inch)
12 inches? How come there are different sizes of shoe then even for full grown adults?

I didn't try all of them, but those five which i checked out are all completely wrong in my case.

E.g. according to "the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is one-fifth of a man's height" i should be 2.1 meters tall when i actually am 1.83 meters tall.

According to "the distance from the elbow to the armpit is one-eighth of a man's height" i should be 2 meters tall,
2,25 meters according to "the length of the hand is one-tenth of a man's height".

Upvote 0

gamespotter10

Veteran
Aug 10, 2007
✟16,650.00
Faith
Baptist

• a pace is four cubits

that's why I believe that God guided the process of evolution to make us(homo sapiens sapiens)

Upvote 0

Raydon

Feb 21, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
✟7,868.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
that's why I believe that God guided the process of evolution to make us(homo sapiens sapiens)
And what of the fact that there's no evidence for god?

You've got an argument from incredulity going on here. Read more about evolution and you'll see that things like this are expected from it, without the need for a cosmic dictator.

I hope TheBear is right when he says that this is just a phase you're going through, you showed much promise, you were 10 years ahead of me!

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As far as actual symmetry is concerned (not parts of the body being in ratio to each other), it isn't. Sure, there is some, two arms, two legs, two eyes, ect, but the body cavity isn't. The liver is on the right side of the body and the stomach is on the left side. If I recall correctly the heart is sightly to the left as well.

Though I think Meiri gave good reasoning for the rest of the symmetry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gamespotter10

Veteran
Aug 10, 2007
✟16,650.00
Faith
Baptist
And what of the fact that there's no evidence for god?

You've got an argument from incredulity going on here. Read more about evolution and you'll see that things like this are expected from it, without the need for a cosmic dictator.

I hope TheBear is right when he says that this is just a phase you're going through, you showed much promise, you were 10 years ahead of me!
I think good and evil and right and wrong are evidence for the God hypothesis

Upvote 0

Vene

Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And those concepts have absolutely nothing to do with people living in a society. Having a type of code for people to live by is in no way essential for a beneficial society.
Plus, not all societies have the same concept of right and wrong and good and evil. If Jehovah instilled these beliefs wouldn't they be absolutes that exist throughout the world? Or does he think certain people are beneath his teachings?

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

There are an infinite number of numbers. Why does it make a difference if a foot is the width of four palms? Are you saying that if a foot was the width of 5 palms you would'nt believe God had anything to do with it?

4.5 palms?

• a pace is four cubits

So a human can take two steps roughly equal to his or her height? This is proof of something?

If I find a pterydactyl whose outspread wingspan was twice his "height", would that make him "greater" than man? What if I find a fly whose outspread wingspan is 1/2 his height? Greater or less than?

Unless the man has a receding hairline. But again, what if this number were 9? Would you then see it as non-miraculous?

Wait! We started off talking about 4ths, then 10th's now 8ths? I guess we are circling around even numbers, but not very interesting.

OK, now we've gone to 1/5ths. I'm not seeing a pattern here.

What about the distance between the second knuckle and the first on the pinky and its relationship to the lenth of the long-axis of the patellar bone? I bet that's also a number.

So is the goal of Creation to make an animal that has lengths of parts that are some fraction of the lenght of other parts? Because the same can be said of all things on the planet and in the universe.

In fact it can be said that there is no way for something which has more than one part to have those parts not related by some fractional mathematical relationship.

This is proof?

Upvote 0

Atheuz

It's comforting to know that this isn't a test
May 14, 2007
✟16,641.00
Faith
Atheist
In fact it can be said that there is no way for something which has more than one part to have those parts not related by some fractional mathematical relationship.

This is proof?

No, I know Evolution happened. I just found it odd that there are so many things in the human body that seemed connected as if one mutation alters other body parts or other body parts control mutations to fit.

Upvote 0

Raydon

Feb 21, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
✟7,868.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Who defines good and evil? We do! Come on, you must have heard this argument before? Slavery (or genocide etc etc) in the Bible. We think slavery is wrong. Therefore we disagree with god. Therefore we decide what is right and wrong. Therefore a (non-existant) god didn't decide what's good and evil.

That's the most basic of basic arguments against your position.

Also, a pre-emptive strike if you say that god gave us this ability to decide what is right and wrong (despite the fact it leads us to disagree with him). God supposedly gave Moses the 10 commandments to tell us what we could and couldn't do, including killing. Are you telling me that Moses and the rest of them didn't know that killing was wrong up until this point? Their society wouldn't function if they didn't, yet the bible says that god had to explicitly tell them via the commandments.

Using your non-god given noggin', this is plainly nonsense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So, what method did he use? Selective breeding? Or did he just kill a lot of people? And what happened to our cousin species who went extinct, such as the Neanderthal? Did God just not like them enough?

Upvote 0

gamespotter10

Veteran
Aug 10, 2007
✟16,650.00
Faith
Baptist
And those concepts have absolutely nothing to do with people living in a society. Having a type of code for people to live by is in no way essential for a beneficial society.
Plus, not all societies have the same concept of right and wrong and good and evil. If Jehovah instilled these beliefs wouldn't they be absolutes that exist throughout the world? Or does he think certain people are beneath his teachings?
you think the morality among different people's and cultures varies, but it doesn't

has there ever been a society which admired people who ran away from battle because of his cowardice? no. Has any society ever admired people who double-crossed people who cared for him most?

Upvote 0

Vene

Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
you think the morality among different people's and cultures varies, but it doesn't

has there ever been a society which admired people who ran away from battle because of his cowardice? no. Has any society ever admired people who double-crossed people who cared for him most?
Because these traits have no benefit for the society. A man who deserts his comrades in arms has no value in protecting their land from invaders. Cultures don't value those who double-cross because you can't rely on that individual for anything.

How about this, why is it that in India a third gender is recognized, but that doesn't happen in European based cultures?

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So what? Evolution explains this perfectly: morality is a necessary survival trait for a social species. And evolutionarily speaking, all of mankind is exceedingly homogeneous.

For a more interesting question, you should ask why humans don't like to organize themselves into alpha male type societies, like lions and gorillas. There are different moral systems that work well for other species, after all. But whatever configuration morality takes, it has to be a system that promotes the survival of the species. Otherwise it can never evolve.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

A drawing by Da Vinci is one of your major problems with Evolutionary theory?
How odd that is, that a drawing is one of your major problems :scratch:

a palm is the width of four fingers
Actually, my palm is slightly wider than my four fingers.
So, based on this "non-symmetry", you shouldn't have a problem with evolution, right?
a foot is the width of four palms (and is 12 inch)
Not even close :D
a cubit is the width of six palms...
...a man's height is four cubits (and thus 24 palms)
...a pace is four cubits
Do something that nobody (that I know of) has done to date- give an exact length for "cubit".
At least define it before using it in an OP that has "problems" with evolution.
the length of a man's outspread arms is equal to his height
Actually, my outstretched arms are 1/2 inch shorter than my height
So, based on this "non-symmetry", you shouldn't have a problem with evolution, right?
the distance from the hairline to the bottom of the chin is one-tenth of a man's height
According to this, I should be 7.083 feet tall.
Oddly, Im only 5'10"
the distance from the top of the head to the bottom of the chin is one-eighth of a man's height
See my last comment.
the maximum width of the shoulders is a quarter of a man's height
Apparently this doesn't work for women, as my wife should, according to your statement, be only 5'3". She's 5'5".
the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is one-fifth of a man's height
Then I should be 7.291 feet tall.
Again, Im not
the distance from the elbow to the armpit is one-eighth of a man's height
The middle of the armpit, or the outside area closest to the elbow?
If the middle, I should be 8.6 feet tall
the length of the hand is one-tenth of a man's height
This one's closer at least, but it still states that I should be 6.25 feet tall.
Im not.
how can random mutations create such perfect symmetrical products.....
Perfect symmety? ^_^ :D ^_^
Sorry, that's not working in the real world.

So, based upon the non-perfect symmetry of real humans (as opposed to an idealized drawing), you no longer have any problems with evolution, right?

Upvote 0