Nov 4, 2011
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
✟7,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good evening brother and sisters,
There is something that has been stuck in my mind for a long time.
One of the basic principles in christianity is that there is good in every person and by showing love to them you can awaken that goodness. Even if the person is pretty much a lost soul.
But in psychology there is a term called psychopath. The explanation for this phonomenon is a person that cannot feel empathy and doesn't feel guilt about his actions. They are like soulless and is incurable. They are like that till the rest of their lifes. They are ready to commit the most disgusting deeds and feel no emotion about this.
Do we christians actually believe that such people exist and is there hope for them? How can you help a person that has no feelings? How can you love them without them using you and playing with your lovable nature? Does the bible deny the existance of souless people among us?

Please explain me :)

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is something that has been stuck in my mind for a long time.
One of the basic principles in christianity is that there is good in every person and by showing love to them you can awaken that goodness. Even if the person is pretty much a lost soul.
But in psychology there is a term called psychopath. The explanation for this phonomenon is a person that cannot feel empathy and doesn't feel guilt about his actions. They are like soulless and is incurable. They are like that till the rest of their lifes. They are ready to commit the most disgusting deeds and feel no emotion about this.
Do we christians actually believe that such people exist and is there hope for them? How can you help a person that has no feelings? How can you love them without them using you and playing with your lovable nature? Does the bible deny the existance of souless people among us?

Please explain me :)
Not to debate you, but simply to provide an alternate view. Personally, I think there are people that don't have any good in them. They, like everyone else, can only come to a knowledge of God by Him revealing Himself to them.

I don't think I'm a sociopath, but because of medications I feel no empathy myself. I'm not evil, though, and God managed to save me despite my lack of feelings. You have to remember that it's all about Him, and none about us.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

hello!

Do we christians actually believe that such people exist and is there hope for them?

people that there is no good in? no, all humans are made in God's image, no matter how distorted that image may be. so yes, there is always hope for them.

How can you help a person that has no feelings?

prayer, forgiveness, fasting

How can you love them without them using you and playing with your lovable nature?

doesn't matter if they abuse your love for them, God calls on us to love everyone no matter what.

Does the bible deny the existance of souless people among us?

yes, in Psalms and Genesis

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If someone truly is a psychopath than that is their cross to bear. Just because they may be one does not automatically deem them to be evil. When I used to watch the show "Criminal Minds" there were quite a few occasional characters who were psychopaths but endured to be good honest people.

I think the question you should ask yourself is why would you love a psychopath any less?

Reactions: DrCIH
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If someone truly is a psychopath than that is their cross to bear. Just because they may be one does not automatically deem them to be evil. When I used to watch the show "Criminal Minds" there were quite a few occasional characters who were psychopaths but endured to be good honest people.

I think the question you should ask yourself is why would you love a psychopath any less?
Everyone has a purpose, even if they do not see it for themselves and instead turn toward destructive purposes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums