Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Pence made a stand for the Country
instead of taking a knee against it
I don't call that a waste of tax payers money.

M-Bob
I think it was a stupid publicity stunt that served no purpose.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it was a stupid publicity stunt that served no purpose.

The purpose for (some) true Americans was to show that we don't want to see our politics mixed up with our watching sports on TV. The two should have no correlation. I don't want to see it and I don't want my grandchildren to see it. At this point in time I could care less if I (ever) again watch an NFL game on TV. Note -- I know many who think the same.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The purpose for (some) true Americans was to show that we don't want to see our politics mixed up with our watching sports on TV. The two should have no correlation. I don't want to see it and I don't want my grandchildren to see it. At this point in time I could care less if I (ever) again watch an NFL game on TV. Note -- I know many who think the same.

M-Bob
So to demonstrate that, you support a politician getting mixed up with sports?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So to demonstrate that, you support a politician getting mixed up with sports?

My point of view I believe was explained in full.

I'm not here to argue or nitpick.

MB

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
My point of view I believe was explained in full.

I'm not here to argue or nitpick.

MB
I know what your point was. You want your politician to make a public demonstration at a sporting event to get the message across that you don’t want sports and politics mixing together.

And if you don’t want to argue, Discussion & Debate may not be the best forum for you. ;)

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know what your point was. You want your politician to make a public demonstration at a sporting event to get the message across that you don’t want sports and politics mixing together.

That's true and personally I do not care what Pence has to do to prove that point. I don't know much about Pence but, so far he seems to be a stand-up guy and liked by most?

Question if I may?
Are you ok with taking a knee during a sporting event on TV?

Cool if you are I just think there's a more appropriate place to show your stand.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's true and personally I do not care what Pence has to do to prove that point. I don't know much about Pence but, so far he seems to be a stand-up guy and liked by most?

Question if I may?
Are you ok with taking a knee during a sporting event on TV?

Cool if you are I just think there's a more appropriate place to show your stand.

M-Bob
This has nothing to do with my view on taking a knee. My point is that there’s no point in complaining about the money.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My point is that there’s no point in complaining about the money.

Sorry I missed that. An excellent point. As a retired civil service worker I know after many years of complaining about the waste of government money is a waste of my time. I do wish that they could do better but then again I wish for a lot of things.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the money spent is the same whether or not he stayed, and there is still a complaint, then the money is not the issue.
Did this trip go on Pence's expense account where there is a record of his own personal spending of taxpayer dollars, or was this trip just charged out to the taxpayer's as a government expense for .....
what expense account should that be charged to if he was there to represent the government?

Trump said he was going to run the country like a business, and cut back on unnecessary expenses. This trip was rather like a 5 martini lunch rather than meeting in the board room, an unnecessary expense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Did this trip go on Pence's expense account where there is a record of his own personal spending of taxpayer dollars, or was this trip just charged out to the taxpayer's as a government expense for .....
what expense account should that be charged to if he was there to represent the government?

Trump said he was going to run the country like a business, and cut back on unnecessary expenses. This trip was rather like a 5 martini lunch rather than meeting in the board room, an unnecessary expense.
Maybe. But had he not walked out, it wouldn’t have been an issue.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe. But had he not walked out, it wouldn’t have been an issue.
It's true that it wouldn't have been reported the way it was.
However, that doesn't mean someone wouldn't have done their homework to find out how the expenses had been recorded. That is how we can keep track of personal expenses such as vacations and golfing, employee expenditures paid for by the government compared to regular government operating expenses.
Were the personal expenditures justified or outside the norm? Does someone need to be reined in on their personal expenditures paid for by the taxpayer?

imo, Trump sending Pence on this political mission was a waste of taxpayer's money. It was not necessary nor did it add anything to what Trump had already made clear in his Twitter messages and publicly in his campaign support speeches that were broadcasted and written about in the media.
There is nothing business like about this waste.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's true that it wouldn't have been reported the way it was.
However, that doesn't mean someone wouldn't have done their homework to find out how the expenses had been recorded. That is how we can keep track of personal expenses such as vacations and golfing, employee expenditures paid for by the government compared to regular government operating expenses.
Were the personal expenditures justified or outside the norm? Does someone need to be reined in on their personal expenditures paid for by the taxpayer?

imo, Trump sending Pence on this political mission was a waste of taxpayer's money. It was not necessary nor did it add anything to what Trump had already made clear in his Twitter messages and publicly in his campaign support speeches that were broadcasted and written about in the media.
There is nothing business like about this waste.
I agree.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
As long as my tax dollars are not being wasted on food for jobless people or people on Obama care or anything else that would benefit needy people, I really don’t care what they spend it on. I think it shows good governance and loyalty when the Vice President follows the tweets of our Commander in Chief.

Not a fan of public waste, but in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather they pull something like this than the waste in cash and lives we had under Dubya and Obama.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not a fan of public waste, but in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather they pull something like this than the waste in cash and lives we had under Dubya and Obama.
And why is there any reason for an 'either/or' conclusion?

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Since the House just approved a tax hike for me in the long haul, I would hope not to see these millionaire politicians waste the money I work for doing petty political stunts.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And why is there any reason for an 'either/or' conclusion?

I am just saying that after the past two decades, it sort of feels nice to have this be a big deal, in an odd sort of way. I'm not in favor of it, but it's like coming home to a mess your kids made compared to a hurricane.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
And right there is the crux of the matter. If he had stayed in the game, this would be a non issue.

Well thankfully there are some logical conservative folks who do understand that what you say is the crux of the matter, isn't. That what was the crux was the planned out wastefulness. Pence took Air Force Two from Las Vegas for the game in Indianapolis, then back to Los Angeles after the game, and President Trump announced (by tweet) afterward that he had asked Pence to do the whole thing (including walking out if the players took a knee), so the whole thing was an extremely expensive political stunt. The cost of the two flights was estimated at a quarter million dollars, slightly more than Pence's annual salary. Republicans like to say that they're concerned for the high cost of government spending, and I think most of us are pretty sincere about that. But obviously not Trump & Pence, since they wasted an incredible amount of taxpayer money to indulge themselves in a stupid stunt to impress their brand of voters.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Pence made a stand for the Country
instead of taking a knee against it
I don't call that a waste of tax payers money.

M-Bob

No, wasting more than a quarter of a million dollar taxpayer dollars on a dumb, planned out political stunt, is not in the least bit patriotic.

Upvote 0