Pelosi says Florida needs migrants to ‘pick crops’ after DeSantis ships them out

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“We have a shortage of workers in our country, and you see even in Florida, some of the farmers and the growers saying: ‘Why are you shipping these immigrants up north? We need them to pick the crops down here,'” she mused.
Nancy Pelosi says Florida needs migrants to 'pick crops'

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,674.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
“We have a shortage of workers in our country, and you see even in Florida, some of the farmers and the growers saying: ‘Why are you shipping these immigrants up north? We need them to pick the crops down here,'” she mused.

I'm beyond words. I know politicians world views are far removed from your average Joe & Jane, but this is just absolute tone deaf elitists.

If your farms and orchards need hired hands then hire the hands. It needs not be migrant (legal not illegals). If it so happens to be migrant then nothing wrong about it.

The assumptions that migrants are poor, simple, uneducated and only look for low skilled jobs are ignorant. One of my friends who relocated to the US is a highly qualified E&E engineer.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm beyond words. I know politicians world views are far removed from your average Joe & Jane, but this is just absolute tone deaf elitists.

If your farms and orchards need hired hands then hire the hands. It needs not be migrant (legal not illegals). If it so happens to be migrant then nothing wrong about it.

The assumptions that migrants are poor, simple, uneducated and only look for low skilled jobs are ignorant. One of my friends who relocated to the US is a highly qualified E&E engineer.

The reality is that many Americans (or your average Westerner) doesn’t want to do that kind of work. It’s dirty, it’s physical and it isn’t paid well.

Look at the dairy industry in New York. Without migrant workers it simply would cease to exist, and the money wasn’t that bad either.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The assumption is not that they are simple, uneducated and low skilled but that they are poor and desperate enough to do jobs Americans don’t want to do.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The reality is that many Americans (or your average Westerner) doesn’t want to do that kind of work.
You forgot the second half of that statement: for the pay offered.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Elitists for sure. I doubt if she or many of the other "leaders" of the left give much thought to the immigrants beyond their usefulness as potential Democrat voters.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It is a fact that the unemployment rate is at an historic low and that not enough people are looking for work. It is true that the US desperately needs labor and there just aren't enough workers to supply that labor. And if you think offering double or triple the usual wage is going to make a difference, think again. Many people are already working or already retired and not interested in working (or not able to work) for any price. And if somehow astronomically high wages do bring out the workers, inflation that is already nearing the 1975 level will jump to an historic high and hurt everyone on a fixed income.

On the other hand, a supply of young ambitious workers is desperate for work. We can solve our own problems as well as theirs all at once.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Elitists for sure. I doubt if she or many of the other "leaders" of the left give much thought to the immigrants beyond their usefulness as potential Democrat voters.
Are they any more likely to vote Democratic than Republican? That is pure propaganda.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are they any more likely to vote Democratic than Republican? That is pure propaganda.
Why else would they be allowing all of this human trafficking and drugs and death? There may be a factor like Pelosi mentioned that they want more workers, but I think that's just a temporary thing, workers were coming here legally before the recession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why else would they be allowing all of this human trafficking and drugs and death? There may be a factor like Pelosi mentioned that they want more workers, but I think that's just a temporary thing, workers were coming here legally before the recession.
How are we allowing human trafficking and drugs and death? We don't ship illegals here. They come here. What are Florida and Texas doing to stop illegal immigration? Except telling them they're doing nothing wrong, and they could get better jobs in a different part of America. Then send them to a vacation island at the wrong time of year. If the red states can take women rights away. And make voting harder. They can do more, when it comes to illegal immigrate. My bet is they don't care about illegal immigrates being there, since they are hard workers. And they only pretend to be outraged to get Conservative votes.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don’t give the Democrats the kind of credit required for long term plans that pay off in tenish years.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don’t give the Democrats the kind of credit required for long term plans that pay off in tenish years.
Me either, they want it as soon as possible. Get as many in and declare them citizens or whatever it takes.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Me either, they want it as soon as possible. Get as many in and declare them citizens or whatever it takes.
Link to the legislation that would make that possible please.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I wonder if she still believes the south needs blacks to pick cotton for them?.......California sophistication in action.......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Maybe you should ask Trump why he hired illegal immigrants for his businesses.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How are we allowing human trafficking and drugs and death? We don't ship illegals here. They come here.

That's why he said "allowing". The biden admin is allowing them to come here.

What are Florida and Texas doing to stop illegal immigration? Except telling them they're doing nothing wrong, and they could get better jobs in a different part of America. Then send them to a vacation island at the wrong time of year.

Sanctuary zones of the USA either welcome them, or they aren't really the sanctuary zones they were campaigned on to be.

If the red states can take women rights away. And make voting harder. They can do more, when it comes to illegal immigrate.

Governors of red states can't change federal law.

My bet is they don't care about illegal immigrates being there, since they are hard workers. And they only pretend to be outraged to get Conservative votes.

Well, they're certainly keeping the Border Patrol agents working hard.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a fact that Florida, and many other states, are facing a labor shortage...and that was before the IAN hit the state....the rebuilding will take thousands of more construction workers...

“Right now, the best thing that we can do for our economy is comprehensive immigration reform,”
We have a shortage of workers in our country, and you see even in Florida, some of the farmers and the growers saying: ‘Why are you shipping these immigrants up north? We need them to pick the crops down here,'”

It's also a fact that immigrants have been picking our crops for most of my 50+ year lifetime. This thread is just another example of faux outrage.....

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A certain party has obstructed every effort to reform legal immigration over the last 20 years. For both skilled and unskilled immigrants.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is a fact that Florida, and many other states, are facing a labor shortage...and that was before the IAN hit the state....the rebuilding will take thousands of more construction workers...

“Right now, the best thing that we can do for our economy is comprehensive immigration reform,”
We have a shortage of workers in our country, and you see even in Florida, some of the farmers and the growers saying: ‘Why are you shipping these immigrants up north? We need them to pick the crops down here,'”

It's also a fact that immigrants have been picking our crops for most of my 50+ year lifetime. This thread is just another example of faux outrage.....

Is picking crops the most dignified job we can offer these people? If they wish to go up north, to maybe New York where there are better jobs and higher pay, then why disparage them for signing the papers to get a free bus ride there?

Upvote 0