• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Patron Saints of Biblical Study?

Discussion in 'St. Basil the Great's Hall' started by Knightwolflord, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Knightwolflord

Knightwolflord Christian Lector

+231
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-American-Solidarity
    It has been some time since I posted in TAW. I'm glad to see it still looks healthy and blessed. Peace and warm greetings to all!

I was curious as to whether there is a particular saint in Eastern Orthodoxy who is associated with the Bible and Biblical study.

In the Latin Church, for example, we venerate and invoke the prayers of St. Jerome, a great Western theologian and Church Father, for this purpose. This is primarily because he translated the Vulgate, which became (even today) the semi-official Bible of the Latins.

Is there is a similar saint in Eastern Orthodoxy (pre or post-schism)? Thanks!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+984
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    I think St Jerome would be a good option (my patron). He’s pre-schism and a biblical scholar.

St John Chrysostom too, or any of the three Holy Hierarchs (St Basil the Great or St Gregory the Theologian)

And St Nicholai Velimirovic, I believe he’s been called “the new Chrysostom” but I might be mixing that title up with another saint.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+13,154
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I think St Jerome. the Three Holy Heirarchs are the patrons of theological education.

welcome back!

4. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+16,099
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    They would know better than I (St. John Chrysostom was my first thought). But I wanted to say welcome back. :)

5. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,275
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I thought St Jerome was considered to be the patron saint of translators.
    The three Holy Hierarchs, St John Chrysostom, St Basil the Great and St Gregory the Theologian are always celebrated at the beginning of the school year in Greece. They would certainly be the ones I would go to for help and support when studying the Scriptures.

6. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+13,154
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    you can also use St Justin Martyr, as he was a philosopher by trade and saw Christianity as philosophy perfected.