Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's okay if a brother doesn't like the style of a teacher's preaching? He says that he ia too boring.
I like to watch a teacher because I understand better the Bible (he is using simple and detailed explanations).
It's fine whatever style a preacher has as long as he is conveying the truth of Scripture.
Sometimes a preacher is considered 'boring' because he doesn't tell jokes or isn't entertaining enough, but that isn't the purpose of preaching.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's fine whatever style a preacher has as long as he is conveying the truth of Scripture.
Sometimes a preacher is considered 'boring' because he doesn't tell jokes or isn't entertaining enough, but that isn't the purpose of preaching.
The words 'popular' and 'preacher' should really be a contradiction in terms. Some years ago some of the sermons of C H Spurgeon were re-issued, and the published tried to commend them as being by London's most popular preacher. (I would have thought that this would be a misnomer, frankly)

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The words 'popular' and 'preacher' should really be a contradiction in terms. Some years ago some of the sermons of C H Spurgeon were re-issued, and the published tried to commend them as being by London's most popular preacher. (I would have thought that this would be a misnomer, frankly)
It may have been true in Spurgeon's day but coming from the same land that gave us the Beatles who claimed to be more 'popular' than Jesus Christ back in their hey-day, I hardly doubt it would be true today.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It may have been true in Spurgeon's day but coming from the same land that gave us the Beatles who claimed to be more 'popular' than Jesus Christ back in their hey-day, I hardly doubt it would be true today.
I guess my point was that popularity is no yardstick for the doctrinal content of preaching.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's okay if a brother doesn't like the style of a teacher's preaching? He says that he ia too boring.
I like to watch a teacher because I understand better the Bible (he is using simple and detailed explanations).
Sure. I've disliked a preacher because his method of delivery grated on me. And I couldn't verify some of the nuggets of scholarship he would sometimes drop.

His name was Rob Bell. This was years before he outright denied Christian orthodoxy with Love Wins, back when the videos his church produced were in circulation amongst college and young adult ministries. I'm not going to claim that was a premonition about him, but I really don't miss him. (He should repent of course.)

Upvote 0