Fr. James Martin promotes Protestant pastor who falsely claims Bible doesn’t condemn sodomy

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Contrary to Brendan Robertson’s view, which Martin called ‘superb,’ the Catholic Church teaches that sodomy is intrinsically evil and always sinful and that Scripture condemns it.

(LifeSiteNews) — Father James Martin’s pro-LGBT activist group “Outreach” has posted an interview with a Protestant pastor who wrongly claimed the Bible does not condemn homosexual acts.

In the interview, Martin, the editor of Outreach,asked Protestant pro-LGBT pastor Brandan Robertson what his response is “when an LGBT person [sic], or a family member, or anybody says, ‘doesn’t the Bible condemn homosexuality?’”

Ironically, Robertson said that the downside of the Protestant schism was that “it gave the Bible to a lot of folks that don’t have the complex training to understand the culture, the context, and language from which the Bible emerges.”

“The Bible is not just a book that anybody can pick up and readily understand; it’s a book that comes from a different world with different perspectives and different cultural norms,” he claimed.

Due to the possibility of people misinterpreting the Bible according to their own wishes and biases, the Catholic Church teaches that the Magisterium is the competent and infallible authority to interpret Sacred Scripture and resolve controversies regarding questions of faith and morals because it was instituted by Jesus Christ Himself.

Continued below.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a recent video, well-known Catholic theologian and apologist Trent Horn addressed the claim made by Robertson and other heterodox activists that the concept of consensual same-sex relationships was utterly unknown in ancient times and that the Bible, therefore, only condemns men raping other men.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In a recent video, well-known Catholic theologian and apologist Trent Horn addressed the claim made by Robertson and other heterodox activists that the concept of consensual same-sex relationships was utterly unknown in ancient times and that the Bible, therefore, only condemns men raping other men.
That article is a winner. If anyone is wondering how the 'shellfish defense' is overcome, the defense of sodomy because we're all hypocrites who allow eating shellfish, that's well handled in this article. Trent Horn actually demolishes the 'gay is OK in the Bible' arguments here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This sounds like consensual to me:

In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. Romans 1:27

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Contrary to Brendan Robertson’s view, which Martin called ‘superb,’ the Catholic Church teaches that sodomy is intrinsically evil and always sinful and that Scripture condemns it.

(LifeSiteNews) — Father James Martin’s pro-LGBT activist group “Outreach” has posted an interview with a Protestant pastor who wrongly claimed the Bible does not condemn homosexual acts.

In the interview, Martin, the editor of Outreach,asked Protestant pro-LGBT pastor Brandan Robertson what his response is “when an LGBT person [sic], or a family member, or anybody says, ‘doesn’t the Bible condemn homosexuality?’”

Ironically, Robertson said that the downside of the Protestant schism was that “it gave the Bible to a lot of folks that don’t have the complex training to understand the culture, the context, and language from which the Bible emerges.”

“The Bible is not just a book that anybody can pick up and readily understand; it’s a book that comes from a different world with different perspectives and different cultural norms,” he claimed.

Due to the possibility of people misinterpreting the Bible according to their own wishes and biases, the Catholic Church teaches that the Magisterium is the competent and infallible authority to interpret Sacred Scripture and resolve controversies regarding questions of faith and morals because it was instituted by Jesus Christ Himself.

Continued below.

Just out of curiosity, why hasn’t Fr. James Martin been either defrocked, or ordered to keep silent on the issue? In the OCA, there is a retired archbishop, Lazar Puhalo, who was ordered to stop making pro-homosexual remarks, and likewise, Fr. Robert Arrida, the former dean of the Cathedral in Boston, found himself in hot water after having the audacity to publish a pro-homosexual article in Wonder, the OCA’s youth magazine, in 2014.

Likewise, within the Roman Catholic Church, Archbishop Salvatore of San Francisco, who I hope will be made a cardinal, and who I regard, along with the Major Archbishop of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Raymond Cardinal Burke, Cardinal Sarah, Gerhard Cardinal Muller, and Bishop Athanasius Schneider, as someone who would make an excellent Pope, engaged in a massive crackdown on homosexuality within his archdiocese. Prior to his arrival I recall reading of a priest in that archdiocese making a very inappropriate joke about a Marian hymn, which I don’t even want to repeat, but I am sure many of you can guess what the hymn was and can likewise guess what the remark was he made. Archbishop Salvatore put a stop to that, and has been one of my heroes. He also cultivated, and continues to permit, the Tridentine Mass, and also Dominican Rite masses, with the church of St. Mary, Star of the Sea being frequently used for that purpose. There was even an attempt to make that parish an Oratory (of the Oratorians, founded by St. Philip Neri), although that was unsuccessful, I believe due to an insufficient number of priests.

Reactions: jas3
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way, lifesitenews is a superb service. Thank you @Michie for making me aware of it. Previously I had mainly relied on Rorate Caeli for traditional Catholic news.

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Indeed so, and the Roman Catholic Church has published English language Bibles starting with the Douai Rheims since the 16th century, with doctrinal notes (at least in the Challoner revision of the Douai Rheims) which reflect the Magisterium.

I quite like the Challoner Douai Rheims. It has a sweeping advantage over the KJV, and that is the Psalter is translated from the Septuagint, so it works both with the traditional Roman breviary and also with the Byzantine Rite system of reading the Psalms (which divides the Psalter into 20 Kathismata, or sittings, which are in turn divided into three Stases, or standings, one for each time a “Glory be to the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost” concludes a group of Psalms. Interestingly the divisions are about the same length as the divisions in the Coverdale Psalter, but the Coverdale Psalter is translated from the generally inferior Masoretic Psalter, and also is read over the course of a month, whereas in Byzantine Rite Catholic churches and their Eastern Orthodox counterparts the Psalter gets read once per week, and twice per week in Lent.

NewAdvent.org also hosts the Knox Bible, which I also quite like. I have not had the chance to read an original edition of the Jerusalem Bible; the New Jerusalem BIble doesn’t interest me that much.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Just out of curiosity, why hasn’t Fr. James Martin been either defrocked, or ordered to keep silent on the issue?
James Martin is a Jesuit. It is up to the Jesuits to discipline him. And most of the upper-ups of the Jesuits are just as bad as he is. The head of the Jesuits is elected by Jesuits with the pope (currently a Jesuit) approving their choice. So while there are a few good and great Jesuits still around, and many of them are having a hard time of it. James Martin is sitting pretty. The worst a bishop can do to him is not allow him to speak at a diocesan even in his diocese.
In the OCA, there is a retired archbishop, Lazar Puhalo, who was ordered to stop making pro-homosexual remarks, and likewise, Fr. Robert Arrida, the former dean of the Cathedral in Boston, found himself in hot water after having the audacity to publish a pro-homosexual article in Wonder, the OCA’s youth magazine, in 2014.
So they have LGBTQ issues in Orthodoxy too, eh?
Likewise, within the Roman Catholic Church, Archbishop Salvatore [Cordeleone] of San Francisco, who I hope will be made a cardinal, and who I regard, along with the Major Archbishop of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Raymond Cardinal Burke, Cardinal Sarah, Gerhard Cardinal Muller, and Bishop Athanasius Schneider, as someone who would make an excellent Pope, engaged in a massive crackdown on homosexuality within his archdiocese.
Archbishop Cordelione will not become a cardinal while pope Francis is alive. Archbishop Chaput should have also been a cardinal but pope Francis refused. We got some pretty lousy picks instead.
He also cultivated, and continues to permit, the Tridentine Mass, and also Dominican Rite masses, with the church of St. Mary, Star of the Sea being frequently used for that purpose. There was even an attempt to make that parish an Oratory (of the Oratorians, founded by St. Philip Neri), although that was unsuccessful, I believe due to an insufficient number of priests.
The Vatican continues to clamp down on Tridentine masses. Their recent strategy has been that a bishop had to apply to the Vatican for an exception to temporarily allow a TLM in a parish. Which was often approved but very temporarily. Many of those temporary exceptions are now running out and the Vatican is not renewing them. They really are continuing to try to kill it. One way to continue with the TLM is for a parish to become an oratory.

My parent's boat was called 'Stella Maris'. A beautiful cedar strip wooden runabout.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
So they have LGBTQ issues in Orthodoxy too, eh?

There are a few clergy in the OCA, which is an Eastern Orthodox church, who held heterodox views, but they were silenced, one of them was already retired, a former episcopi vagrans who was received as an act of kindness so that he would not be destitute, and the other Fr. Arida, who has also since retired. In the Oriental Orthodox churches, I am not aware of anyone who is gay or who has advocated homosexuality. The actively serving bishops of the Orthodox churches, both Eastern and Oriental, and also the Assyrian Church of the East, which has a particularly close relationship with the Roman Catholic Church, are entirely opposed to homosexuality. That said, in the case of the Eastern Orthodox, there are a small number of liberal laity who would love to change that, but I don’t see how they could, since if they had any shot at doing it, it would have been in the autonomous Church of Finland, which is under the Omophorion (this refers to the Great Stole, but what it means is under the supervision) of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, and that hasn’t happened, nor is there any reason to believe it will happen.

Upvote 0