May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gy_FocuLcPyslOqVeaOFan8yo7eQD8VLUSO01

Associated Press said:
WESTON, Wis. (AP) — Police are investigating an 11-year-old girl's death from an undiagnosed, treatable form of diabetes after her parents chose to pray for her rather than take her to a doctor.

The inevitable result of the let-God-take-the-wheel mentality rears its ugly head. When will people stop thinking that their religious beliefs can somehow trump trained professionals?

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When you put your faith in God, you leave the results up to Him. Seeing how many people have been miraculously healed due to their faith in God, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

Yep- the situation in the OP really proves that God wants you to ignore the life jacket available to you in a rising flood.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
When you put your faith in God, you leave the results up to Him. Seeing how many people have been miraculously healed due to their faith in God, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
:doh: This girl had diabetes. She didn't need a miracle to survive she just needed basic medical attention.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I hate to say it but it is things like this that make Christians look well a bit kooky.
Yep. If you gash your finger do you stare at the blood rushing out and ask God to stop the bleeding or do you put on a band-aid? God has given us the intellect to treat many illnesses, to ignore that and instead rely on God to intervene is insane.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I hate to say it but it is things like this that make Christians look well a bit kooky.
Yep. If you gash your finger do you stare at the blood rushing out and ask God to stop the bleeding or do you put on a band-aid? God has given us the intellect to treat many illnesses, to ignore that and instead rely on God to intervene is insane.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

It's a pretty safe bet you'll die.

Faith kills.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe if they're prosecuted, they'll just pray for an aquittal and not hire a lawyer.

Excellent- Hopefully whatever spiritual advisor has told them to rely on God will remind them of this when/if they appear in court.
---------------------------------

Personally I don't comprehend this take no action God heals line of belief. We were always provided with examples of Biblical characters, as well as modern examples of people (mere mortals of course) who gave and accepted help.

There never was any teaching in my church that relying on God meant you didn't accept the help placed in your life.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
She didn't need miraculous healing! She had diabetes, a completely treatable illness and was instead allowed to waste away for a month without assistance. Her parents were utterly negligent and deserve charges of negligent homicide brought against them.

Are you telling us that God's plan was for an 11 year-old girl with diabetes to suffer a wasting death at the hands of her passive parents for some larger purpose?

Bull, unless that larger purpose was to generate widespread anger against the faith-healing community. There was no purpose to this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The power of prayer works, I have no doubt about that at all. But these parents acted like many of the believers who sold all their possessions and camped out on the Temple grounds in the days after Jesus' ascension: They weren't doing anything to help the situation, i.e., in that case furthering the kingdom of God through their work. They lazed around gazing at the sky and waiting for Him to return. God doesn't expect anyone to "just have faith" and wait for Him to move.

If you're gonna pray, you better show you're willing to do what is within your power, believing all the while that God will work through whatever means He sees fit -- and that's often a doctor, a nurse, an emergency room and a hospital. These people didn't honor God, they honored their own faith, which they apparently think is self-generated. It isn't. The same Who saves is the One who provides what faith we have. It doesn't come from us.

(Sheez, that's the longest post I'"ve made all week without having to post a single letter for a post, then editing after it shows up in the thread -- maybe in the right place.. Maybe they exterminated the bugs?)

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

Yes, all those people who went to the doctor... took the medicines they were given... got the treatment they were told to get... they were healed.... by god.....

:doh:

Upvote 0

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Some people have the same mentality on how many children they have. "We'll have as many as God gives us!"

So pathetic... You'll have one every year if you time it correctly.
I see it as partially laziness and partially an excuse to do what they want even though they know it's not the smartest thing to do. People hide behind God and use him as an excuse to do all kinds of things they know they shouldn't be doing or don't want to be responsible for. I see it all the time.

Upvote 0