• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Paranoid Personality Disorder

College Boy

Who Dares, Wins
Jan 4, 2012
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought I'd post here since from what I've read PPD is more closely related to Schizophrenia than Borderline Personality Disorder. My question is, from what I've read on the WHO's website, PPD usually develops in young adulthood or adolescence. Is it also possible that it could develop later in adulthood? Like, say, closer to one's 60's?

I'm fairly convinced that someone I know has it, but I've only known them since they were about 55 so I don't know their medical or psychological history.

Based on how the WHO defines PPD, I'm 99% sure this person is suffering it's symptoms, but I'm not sure if this is a recent development (as in, maybe just prior to my meeting them, or at most within 5-10 years of it) or if it's something that happened maybe 40 years ago when they were a teen.

Any insight would be helpful, thanks. :)

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its difficult to say when discussing a particular person, and the vast majority of times a diagnosis is more for medical staff and support teams so they can treat a person effectively, but generally, any mental illness can onset at any stage in life, age grouping is statistical not absolute.

When people are older, particularly when paranoia is present, many times they are relieved to know that they have an illness that is treatable. It helps to put things into perspective, makes past experiences more understandable. However at the same time others may find that such a diagnosis is completely unrealistic and absurd because the events and experiences in their lives have a direct framework and purpose, 'people actually did these things'. Since it appears from what you said,
a) that symptoms have been growing over a long period of time
b) and that the person was older at onset
it is probable (but not definite) that the person's rational coping skills are becoming hindered, and the ability to trust in others (possibly due to biological, actual or perceived circumstances) has been damaged, which can drastically effect the person's abilities in recognizing or talking through the immediate and secondary issues of the illness.

As a friend there are many things you can do to help, and possibly advocate for this person, as far as community supports, medical assistance (if open to it),

and,

supporting through listening without confirming the paranoia,

avoiding criticism (confrontation simply affirms the paranoia),

treat every thing as confidential (the last thing somebody who is paranoid wants is people talking about his or her private life),

and maybe introducing the person to people who actually want to be with him or her socially and supportively.

If there is an appropriate or even general paranoia support group in the community, you may be able to find information from a local mental health organization or association; or at the least, they may be able to help in contacting a mental health peer support volunteer or worker. You would be amazed at how supportive people who have lived with similar illnesses can be.

Also, share your own feelings and frustrations with somebody who has at least signed a confidentiality agreement with their workplace.

Illness can be extremely draining to the people that care (we don't have the luxury of having a nursing degree or experience enough to deal with all of our own stressors while being there for somebody else's), don't go at it alone.

And lastly, if the person is nervous about going to an appointment, and you can't go with him or her, and you can't find someone else to, a local volunteer society will have people who want to accompany people to appointments (criminal record checks, and references already done). You're not passing the person off, you're enlisting help.

PPD might be extremely engrained in the person's thought processes, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to suffer with it. Genuine joy and love for him or her can work wonders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0