Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whenever I go to a convenience store, occasionally there's some young man looking for a handout. Sometimes I give and other times I don't. One guy asked me if I'd buy some food for him and I told him to get whatever wanted. Tonight another young man was sitting outside the convenience store when I ran over from work to get something for lunch. As I was leaving he said "I need some help sir" and I told him I had to get back to work and kept going. But of course I felt guilty. Wondered if that was a test I failed. Or if he's there all night trying to get money for drugs.

How do you feel about panhandlers?
Since statistically 82% of panhandlers are homeless, you are helping the poor which is commanded by our Lord. We are not to judge them but help them. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since statistically 82% of panhandlers are homeless, you are helping the poor which is commanded by our Lord. We are not to judge them but help them. Be blessed.

What if I'm supporting an addiction that causes their homelessness?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since I don't carry cash very often anymore, I just don't have money to give to the panhandlers. I like colors idea of a homeless basket or coupons to McDonalds or something rather than cash. However, I am always reminded of Christ healing the 10 lepers and only one, a Samaritan, came back to thank Him.

That's another thing. I also don't carry much if any cash a lot of the time. I used to go downtown where I used to live and hand out granola bars and bottled water. I should get back into doing that.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I recommend giving to local charities that help these people instead of giving cash as you can help more people get the right help as they give people what they need, not what they want. $10 can pay for more decent meals than fast good burgers and overpriced soft drinks. People who are addicts need help to break addiction and can be encouraged by social workers in charities and directed to these agencies while giving them help in person can just delay them seeking any help that they do need to more normalize their thinking and desires in life.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even addicts need to eat.

I've always bought food for those in front of a convenience store asking me to. But really I need to stop going to those because it's way too expensive. I should be going to some discount grocery store. And using the money I save from that to donate to a food bank and such. The only shopping I do is for food and necessities, but I'm not frugal enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I've always bought food for those in front of a convenience store asking me to. But really I need to stop going to those because it's way too expensive. I should be going to some discount grocery store. And using the money I save from that to donate to a food bank and such.
I agree as we are supposed to be wise with what we have and how we give. Convenience stores are the worst way to spend money on anything but gas as you can often buy larger portions of the same things for cheaper, often half the price. I quit buying drinks at places except when I'm dining in or just have to have something I bought an insulated mug that when I know I will be out running around shopping for hours I take it with me so I don't have to buy drinks out and about..... especially now that almost all places I've seen have shut down the water fountains. Your bottled water idea likely would be actually needed now as few places you can get a free drink of water either you have to have a glass and fill it up at a faucet in a bathroom or buy a drink.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see the same panhandlers occupying specific spots around town. They appear to take shifts at the same intersections. I never give those ones money because it’s a pretty common scam that these people aren’t necessarily as in need as they appear. I do, however, give spare cash to people who are camped outside of shopping centers seeking shelter from the elements under the awnings. What they choose to spend it on isn’t my business. I help when I can.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I very rarely have cash now but if not near anywhere I could get a bottle of water or something to eat for those in need, they often are grateful for your time. A couple of minutes of being treated decently is often not something they get very often, and greatly appreciated. And hey, remember to pray for them. Whether they are ‘honest’ down on their luck people, or not, they could always benefit for prayer for their lives, be it a need for a job, a break from addiction, or to be filled with love and no longer wish to deceive.

Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I like to keep a stack of $5 gift cards to a local fast food joint. We also write info on the card holder about when our church gives out meals.

Some of ya'll are saying, "yeah but what if I accidentally give to someone who doesn't deserve it," and I think that's pretty wild.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having done volunteer work with the homeless for most of the 23 years I've been a Christian I've met them all. You get professional beggars who will wear dirty old clothes, park up their car and go and beg for the day, sometimes making hundreds of pounds. Some want money for drugs. For genunie homeless people they say that when they are out in winter the cold gets into their bones. With pushers offering free drugs all the time (to get them hooked) a lot eventually give in just to feel warm. Others end up on the streets because of already being on drugs. Either way they tend to prioritize drugs over buying food. Maybe buying them something to eat and/or drink is better. It does sometimes get used for a hostel or something though. And even if you do give them money there is an argument that if they dont get enough they would just rob someone/somewhere to get the money they need so you are preventing that.

Another thing is, most homeless people I have meet appreciate giving them a bit of time. Even if you dont have money to give them, showing them some compassion and treating them as a human being goes a long way. For some that means more than a little bit of change. Dont just preach to them though, they've heard it before.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I keep a $5 in my car's ash tray for just this purpose. My rule is someone has to ask me for help; I don't give to corner cardboard sign holders. I figure if someone has to humble themselves enough to ask someone else for money they need it more than I do.

My church is a downtown church within a couple of blocks of our homeless shelter. The shelter kicks them out for the day about the time services start, so getting panhandled in front of church is a sometimes occurrence. I have money available just for that purpose. It seems a bit risky to me to refuse help to someone on the steps of church while the scripture is bouncing in my head that if I did it to one of these, I did it to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,437.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whenever I go to a convenience store, occasionally there's some young man looking for a handout. Sometimes I give and other times I don't. One guy asked me if I'd buy some food for him and I told him to get whatever wanted. Tonight another young man was sitting outside the convenience store when I ran over from work to get something for lunch. As I was leaving he said "I need some help sir" and I told him I had to get back to work and kept going. But of course I felt guilty. Wondered if that was a test I failed. Or if he's there all night trying to get money for drugs.

Depends.

There was an old black man who would sit
with his hat on the sidewalk near where lived
just off Broadway on 70th.

I'd stop and speak to him, give him money and Starbux,
and a smile.

When I left for Hong Kong I gave him something
extra, said I was leaving.

We both cried.

I've nothing for healthy young bums who don't
want to work.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's a right way and a wrong way to do anything. Giving panhandlers money can go wrong numerous ways. But giving them a ride to a homeless shelter or giving them actual food is still helping them, tho in a way that cannot be abused.
I would say dont give them a ride unless your certain its safe. A lot of homeless have mental health issues, which is why they are on the street in the first place. The most extreme one I know, a friend of a friend got to know a homeless guy in London after buying the Big Issue (a magazone for the homeless to sell in UK) off him and buying him coffees. She had known him about a year and he asked if he could have a shower. She let him into her place and he stabbed multiple time. Turned out he was schizophrenic and it was all over the news. This was 15-20 years ago though.

Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It depends. If I think that they are in trouble through no fault of their own, then I'm likely to help. If they are hanging out by the liquor store and they smell and look drunk, I don't. If I see a coffee can with a picture of a sick child and a plea for help, I always empty the change out of my pockets or put a few dollars in. If I judge that the money will be used for something that clashes with my values I won't help. If they are young and healthy I won't help. There are always things one can do to earn money. I see panhandlers at Walmart all the time. They have cell phones and are smoking cigarettes. If they can afford those things then they can afford food for themselves.

Upvote 0