The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whenever I go to a convenience store, occasionally there's some young man looking for a handout. Sometimes I give and other times I don't. One guy asked me if I'd buy some food for him and I told him to get whatever wanted. Tonight another young man was sitting outside the convenience store when I ran over from work to get something for lunch. As I was leaving he said "I need some help sir" and I told him I had to get back to work and kept going. But of course I felt guilty. Wondered if that was a test I failed. Or if he's there all night trying to get money for drugs.

How do you feel about panhandlers?

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

To start with I avoided them, but when I got into Orthodoxy I heard about people doing almsgiving as a spiritual discipline, so I actually intentionally gave to them when I was asked as part of that and that was OK.

This is one of those areas where some prayer and conscience comes into play as far as how you live your life. In general, I believe "that charity starts at home" and it is better to help out people you know when they run into hard times. And there I can even think of scriptures in regards to helping out widows and orphans in the NT and OT that would verify that, besides the passage of Jesus meeting the Syrophoenician woman in the Gospels.

There is something to helping anybody who needs help no matter what. Of course, we got a big problem where people can play the system and it is actually possible to make more money tax free than you can with a regular burger flipping survival job. So be ready to adjust your policy and behavior on the circumstances, gut hunches etc. if you feel you are being grifted etc.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That crossed my mind. This fellow like many others I encounter was a young white male, who it seems shouldn't have a problem getting a job.

Then again I don't know what he wanted exactly. And since I needed to get back to work I didn't want to get caught up in something I didn't have time for.

I guess one thing it comes down to sometimes is are they needy or are they just mooching?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If he really had 4 kids that is. I've watched filmed sting operations where they'll keep an eye on someone and watch them eventually get into their nice car and drive back home to their nice house.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whenever I go to a convenience store, occasionally there's some young man looking for a handout. Sometimes I give and other times I don't. One guy asked me if I'd buy some food for him and I told him to get whatever wanted. Tonight another young man was sitting outside the convenience store when I ran over from work to get something for lunch. As I was leaving he said "I need some help sir" and I told him I had to get back to work and kept going. But of course I felt guilty. Wondered if that was a test I failed. Or if he's there all night trying to get money for drugs.

I am more motivated to give. You don't know what the back stories are ... and/or how genuine the need might be.

There are professional panhandlers, however, ... and these I don't feel as guilty about passing by with a smile or a wave, as one should be able to trust in their organizations to support them.

I, generally, don't give to young men ... who look like they are not making the necessary effort to get a job. I am more partial to veterans, ... as I don't feel that our country does enough for them.

In everything, I try to be listening to and guided by the Spirit, Whose guidance I can truly count on ...

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've watched filmed sting operations where they'll keep an eye on someone and watch them eventually get into their nice car and drive back home to their nice house.

doesn't mean anything

one can have a nice house but lose their job & bills pile up
happened to a neighbor who lost HIS job (yes, a male)
he had a wife and 2 young children
their house went into foreclosure; they lost their house

NO ONE knows anyone's financial circumstances

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
doesn't mean anything

Very true. Another point is that it takes a special kind of circumstance to make someone resort to begging. I've never begged/panhandled, but having spoken at length to many who do, it is demoralising. You have to endure life circumstances that deprive you of all self-respect. This is why I think it's important to at least recognise the humanity in them. Nodding and smiling is like saying 'you and I are made of the same stuff, fashioned by the same maker'.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since I don't carry cash very often anymore, I just don't have money to give to the panhandlers. I like colors idea of a homeless basket or coupons to McDonalds or something rather than cash. However, I am always reminded of Christ healing the 10 lepers and only one, a Samaritan, came back to thank Him.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

This question was brought up in Sunday School, under the heading of, "Is it sin to..." and I found myself getting really irritated. If one considers it a sin to give, or to not give, let them live according to conscience, or, as some claim they are able to 'discern the Spirit', according to the moment by moment directives of the Spirit, but to use the excuses I hear them use, as to why they should not give, to me is reprehensible. If they KNOW the guy is going to use the money for drugs, that is one thing, but to assume he will is another. "Do unto others according to what you would have them do unto you" makes a lot of sense and is usually an easy decision.

The principle behind, 'You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.' and, 'But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?' (if you see a brother in need, and have it with you, shame on you if you do not give it to him). I can tell you this: It is easier to give someone else your last $20 and be done, (if you have enough left to get home on), than it is to take the person and give them a job, or take the time and effort to get to know them and learn their habits and faults to deal with them according to THEIR conscience.

But this is just another of many examples of people finding excuses to do as they wish. I find it specially telling when they look until they can find a Bible verse or precept to support their selfishness. (But yeah, I too will be measured by my own standard.)

On a lighter note: 'Give a man a fish, and you will have satisfied his hunger for an hour; but teach a man to fish, and you will have satisfied his hunger for life!' --==-- 'Give a man a drink, and you will have slaked his thirst for an hour; but teach a man to drink......!'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
doesn't mean anything

As I recall they investigated him and he was a scammer. However I agree with you completely. I started this because of the uncertainty involved.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This question was brought up in Sunday School, under the heading of, "Is it sin to..." and I found myself getting really irritated. If one considers it a sin to give, or to not give, let them live according to conscience, or, as some claim they are able to 'discern the Spirit', according to the moment by moment directives of the Spirit, but to use the excuses I hear them use, as to why they should not give, to me is reprehensible. If they KNOW the guy is going to use the money for drugs, that is one thing, but to assume he will is another. "Do unto others according to what you would have them do unto you" makes a lot of sense and is usually an easy decision.

The principle behind, 'You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.' and, 'But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?' (if you see a brother in need, and have it with you, shame on you if you do not give it to him). I can tell you this: It is easier to give someone else your last $20 and be done, (if you have enough left to get home on), than it is to take the person and give them a job, or take the time and effort to get to know them and learn their habits and faults to deal with them according to THEIR conscience.

But this is just another of many examples of people finding excuses to do as they wish. I find it specially telling when they look until they can find a Bible verse or precept to support their selfishness. (But yeah, I too will be measured by my own standard.)

On a lighter note: 'Give a man a fish, and you will have satisfied his hunger for an hour; but teach a man to fish, and you will have satisfied his hunger for life!' --==-- 'Give a man a drink, and you will have slaked his thirst for an hour; but teach a man to drink......!'

I wonder if social workers and others who are very familiar with the situation, would advise giving to rescue missions and food banks instead.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would guess most are con artists.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would guess most are con artists.

Or just moochers. The fact that the ones I seem to come across a lot look like they're in their 20s, may mean that they're just looking to score some extra cash. In my town I think a lot of them are trying to score drug money. Or it could be someone who's lost their job and is genuinely in need. No way to know for sure.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember reading about C.S. Lewis being out with a friend and gave someone some money. His friend says, "he's just going to spend it on ale". And Lewis says, "but that's what I was going to spend it on".

Upvote 0