Pangolins: REMARKABLE animals - & wanting to help them/have one for a pet

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Saw this recently - and truly amazing creatures Pangolins are....and how fascinating the background on Pangolins is. Pangolins, also known as “scaly anteaters,” look like a prehistoric animal and have an interesting way of moving. Would love to have one of these as a pet for my family (even though I realize that many have done more harm than good in the trading of these animals as pets since it takes a lot to care for them - and they are able to survive better in the wild). Although I'd love to have the means/skills to take care of one in a way that'd help it live, I'm more concerned with wishing others become more aware since they're endangered...some buying them as pets to keep them from extinction. For evils such as poaching and the exploitation of the natural world - an event that often happens to many other species (more discussed elsewhere in #47 ) - add to the rapid rate that Pangolins are dying...and praying others would be interested in these creatures for positive benefits. Outside of the ways they represent a very UNIQUE type of mammal, they are also a Natural Pest Controllers and Soil Caretakers ..making them of HIGH benefit to the Eco-System and keeping things going in our world.

As stated in Wildlife Heroes , “Pangolins play a critical role in natural insect control, especially ants and termites, saving humans millions of dollars to pest damage and reducing the need for harmful chemical pesticides. Additionally, pangolin burrows provide shelter for many species, such as rodents and reptiles.”

More specifically, as said best elsewhere (for brief excerpt):
Their large and elongated claws enable them to burrow underground for shelter and to excavate ant and termite nests for food. In doing so, the soil is mixed and aerated—much like what happens when we rototill gardens or plow crop fields. This improves the nutrient quality of the soil and aids the decomposition cycle, providing a healthy substrate for lush vegetation to grow from. When abandoned, their underground burrows also provide habitat for other animals.....It is said that a single pangolin consumes as much as 70 million insects per year—mainly ants and termites. Seventy million! That’s about 191,780 insects per day! Imagine an area that is home to 15 pangolins. Those animals alone could potentially eat as many as 1.05 billion insects annually! Comparatively, the U.S. National Park Service says individuals of some bat species are said to eat as many as 3,000 bugs each night, which could mean a total of almost 1.1 million a year. ...pangolins certainly help to control their insect prey’s numbers, contributing to the delicate balance of the ecosystems they inhabit.

For more information on the species itself, there are eight living species of pangolin in the world. Pangolins live in Africa and Asia – four species on each continent. The Indian, Chinese, Malayan, and Philippine, are obviously Asian – the Giant, Ground, Tree, and Long-tailed, less obviously, African. All eight species are covered in scales made of the same material as human finger-nails...

The four African species are the following:
•The Giant Pangolin (Manis gigantea), found in many parts of Africa – where there are large populations of termites.
•The Ground Pangolin (Manis temminckii), which is also called ‘Temminck's Pangolin or the ‘Cape Pangolin’.
•The Tree Pangolin (Manis tricuspis), usually found in forests
•The Long-tailed Pangolin (Manis tetradactyla), another forest-dweller and the smallest of the pangolins.

The four Asian species are the following:
•The Indian Pangolin (Manis crassicaudata), found in many parts of India and some parts of Sri Lanka.
•The Chinese Pangolin (Manis pentadactyla), which lives from north India right through to southern China.
•The Sunda Pangolin (Manis javanica), also known as the Malayan Pangolin, and found in Southeast Asia’s forests.
•The Philippine Pangolin (Manis culionensis), found only found in the ‘Palawan’ province of the Philippines where it is at risk due to extensive hunting.

More could be said on these creatures - but ultimately, in light of the immense suffering they're going through (much of it being a slow death), it'd be amazing if others would invest in saving some from the markets - beautiful as they are...and Pangolins are worth the investment, IMHO:)

Family Manidae (Pangolins)

Last edited:

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wow...what a cool post (love all your edits); I had never heard of this awesome little guy before!
Thanks for all the info :thumbsbup:

FYI: Some States have regulations against 'exotic' pets

Have you seen it offered for sale?
He must cost a lot (buy and keep); and not sure how well he'd do in captivity outside of a zoo, considering his diet and all!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wow...what a cool post (love all your edits); I had never heard of this awesome little guy before!
It's amazing how many creatures are in existence that many have never heard of...and with the Pangolin, I had seen such creatures before in books - but never looked much into it after that. Studying them more in action, I was like "God is amazing in how much he can create :)." When you look at them, they look like they're in chainmail worn by knights. Mini-soldiers ready for battle. God's GENIUS is amazing when you consider all of his works - and Pangolin's are amongst the most amazing/beautiful.

Mammal versions of Rollie Pollie bugs/pillbugs/cellarbugs (with those bugs being what my cousins and I used to play with for hours rolling them ) - and it's a trip that a mammal can have the same features as bugs ..or really crustaceans (as creatures such as pillbugs are terrestial crustaceans and are more closely related to lobsters, shrimp and crayfish ). Of course, for me, it's also amazing to see some of the aspects from Theistic Evolution that come into view when seeing convergent evolution and how certain species - differing as they are - will still share similar traits even in completely differing environments.....evolutionary convergence being the observation that some unrelated groups of animals or plants have, though natural selection, converged on similar “designs” when they find themselves in similar environments. The classic examples are the placental and marsupial mammals (both, for example, have evolved mole-like forms), the vertebrate and cephalopod eyes, the fusiform shape of dolphins, fish, and ichthyosaurs. And to see similarities in species like Pillbugs and Pangolins is no different than seeing how some animals do things others only expect with others - like how in some ways, monotremes are very primitive for mammals because, like reptiles and birds, they lay eggs rather than having live birth....the only examples being the duck-billed platypus and four species of echidna (also known as spiny anteaters) - with echidnas being related to Pangolins :) ^_^ .​

For myself, seeing Pangolins is just a testament to the fact that either evolutionary theory is true ...with it being GOD who's behind spontaneous developments that seem "random" to us when they're in fact planned...or it's the case that God sometimes does things for the sake of humor and to throw us off so we'd not think categories could fully capture his genius. Like some animals he made were done specifically because he said " I think I'll take pillbug and mix it with mammal - just because I can!!" ^_^

With Pangolins, I initially was aware of them only in the sense that I knew of other creatures who were related to them such as the echidna:​

They're amazing animals and the only reason I was aware of them was because I grew up finding out about it due to studying the ways such were seen in video games I loved like Sonic the Hedghog - if aware of the character "Knuckes the Echinda" ..a red-colored enchinda with an attitude who was amongst my favorites :) ^_^)

tumblr_m9nq37keim1r6y341o1_1280.png

Even in knowing what an actual enchinda was, many had NO IDEA on the differing types of ant-eaters....and that tripped me out. And now that I think on it, it seems there was already exposure in the media with the Pangolin ant-eater in distinct ways - ways you'd not have caught if you didn't know what the animated creature came from, if you remember the character from Pokémon known as Sandlash and how he's based on the pangolin.... species ...and the other Pokémon character who looks like a Pangolin being Sandshrew (the earlier version of what a Sandlash used to be) .

The creatures are cool due to how out of the ordinary they are. But when I did more research into the issue years later, it was a trip to see how many creatures are very obscure. I had to stop and consider how many creatures go without notice because you are already flooded with images of creatures which are either well-known - or look cute. And as another noted best:
,"People are used to being asked to help save photogenic pandas, but are there animals whose strange appearance hinders conservation?"
Things to consider...

Thanks for all the info :thumbsbup:
Not a problem :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
FYI: Some States have regulations against 'exotic' pets
Yep, very much aware of it - as the sell of exotic pets is a very big commodity - and having had a conures parrot once and having to be aware of where they came from BEFORE buying, it's something I take seriously.

Have you seen it offered for sale?
Not to my knowledge. It's not like you can pick one up at Petsmart ^_^:D

But seriously, animals protected by the international treaty on animal trade, including pangolins, cannot enter the U.S. without a special permit. More specifically, each state has its own laws regarding the private ownership of exotic pets and one needs to check to see if their state allows it, and if so, are there any special restrictions, like licenses and permits. If finding that pangolins are legal in your state, you need to check with your county and municipality, because many individual counties and municipalities restrict the ownership of animals that are otherwise legal in the state.
He must cost a lot (buy and keep); and not sure how well he'd do in captivity outside of a zoo, considering his diet and all​

Unless one lived in an area with a huge ant and termite supply and plenty of trees to climb on, I think it'd be wrong just to get a pangolin for its own sake. They've often died in captivty if the circumstances were not right - and one has to literally know how to bless the animal the way God intended it.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Very interesting :thumbsup: I love wildlife!
We have plenty here...recent visitors to our property have been a moose and porcupine....and many other assorted creatures.
No sign of the black bear yet ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Very interesting :thumbsup: I love wildlife!

We have plenty here...recent visitors to our property have been a moose and porcupine....and many other assorted creatures.
No sign of the black bear yet ;)

p42213b_zps2f4cbedb.jpg

mooseapril82013b_zpsa63da054.jpg

mooseapril82013_zpsfe0e7009.jpg

Porpcupines and Moose are rather amazing and glad that you have some in the backyard:) It would be cool to have a backyard where you could see creatures like that...

Although I do wonder how cool it'd be if having some pangolins in the backyard where you were at:) And if living in some other parts of the world, you'd be seeing just that all the time with pangolins being the equivalents of porcupines that show up.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Gxg (G²);62903925 said:
Porpcupines and Moose are rather amazing and glad that you have some in the backyard:)

Although I do wonder how cool it'd be if having some pangolins in the backyard where you were at:)

That would be awesome :thumbsup: we don't have ant eater type animals here in the Northeast!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That would be awesome :thumbsup: we don't have ant eater type animals here in the Northeast!
It would be amazing if they had any present - although you never know. They could've lived there in the past before :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
we don't have ant eater type animals here in the Northeast!
Had an interesting dream the other night we had one of those creatures as a pet in the house and that he was helping keep the ant issue under control whenever ants come into the house. It was so crazy how cute it was and how much my family loved it -and then I woke up saddened it wasn't real.

Who knows...

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It looks like you've been reading Field Guides!

Field guide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have too, studied tons of field guides and looked at over thousands of pictures of wildlife! There is just simply so many animals on the planet that it is hard to choose from any of them, but if someone forced me, I would have to say the Dhole...

dhole - Google Search

...or the Pyrrhuloxia...

dhole - Google Search

Not really been focused on field guides - even though I have studied them before and they are enjoyable.

That said, as interesting as Dholes are, it really isn't the direction of the thread that was the goal (as it concerns the OP subject of Pangolins ) - and although it is a nice subject, Pangolins are what the thread was made for - who they are, what they are dealing with and how to help advance their protection in the things happening to those creatures. Any information along those lines is more than appreciated - but outside of that, it'd be best to make another thread on it. Thanks:).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Very cute animal. I have never heard of it before.
A lot of people have never heard of the creature before and it is stunning when you first see it.
And you are right - God is amazing in how he created all the different animals and the world. Thanks for posting this information:)
:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've always loved pangolins since I was a little kid. I've also always wanted to have one as a pet, but I don't know if that is even legal.

°«Creatio ex nihilo»°
To my knowledge, it's not legal to own one - but it would be amazing :)

Upvote 0