Pacifism Question

Caretaker

Jun 7, 2013
✟10,632.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
That was not a fair response to NeedyFollower (".the problem is christians have joined God and country"). He was not talking about you, or about Anabaptists (though some have). It is a general statement that reflects the condition of many American Christians.

And a bigger problem is that there are few faithful witnesses on this subject. We share in forums like this but few share outside our comfortable boundaries. Take for example the faithful witness of an evangelical hero of the faith, Charles Spurgeon. His works have sold millions of copies but few have ever had the chance to see his words on war and Christians. Charles Spurgeon: On War and Christians

Many pacifists are shell shocked and not willing to put their head outside the foxhole.

When my book on pacifism was first published, I asked the manager (a Mennonite) of the local Christian radio station if he would care to do an interview on it for a regular local program he did. His response was that such 'generates more heat than light.' That was a 'no.'

Few are willing to circulate information on such resources as the Spurgeon quotes. There are many evangelical Christians who would be open to considering such, but few will ever know about these faithful witnesses.

Thanks for the references you provided! They are very much appreciated!

So, if I don't know what a Christian is, how can I claim to be one?

But, if I do know what a Christian is, does not Christ command me to preach that truth in the "Great Commission" at the end of Matthew 28?

So, if a Christian (according to Christ's definition of being a Christian - and what other definition can be considered valid) strives to love and do good to those he considers his enemies, and strives not to be overcome by evil but to instead overcome evil with good, is not, then, referring to someone as a "Christian" who refuses these commandments of Jesus to love and do good to one's enemies (regardless of how that person self-identifies) a decidedly unchristian act that of itself fails to meet Christ's definition of being a Christian? Is not calling someone "Christian" who refuses the commandments of Christ (even if that person calls him or her self a "Christian"), a violation of Christ's admonition to let your light shine before men, and does it not deceive the misguided soul by allowing him or her to continue in the false notion that he or she is Christian, and thereby make the person who referred to that person as "Christian" a party to assisting the misguided in their journey to perdition?

In 1 Corinthians 5 Paul makes it clear the true body of Christ will not allow someone who claims as good and acceptable that which God has identified as evil to continue in membership in the body of Christ because allowing the person to remain would both spread the sin to the rest of the body as well as fail to take the steps necessary to save the soul of the offending member.

So why do so many "non-resisting" and/or "pacifist" "Christians" continue to accept a definition of Christianity that so obviously does not meet the original Author's definition of that term? By their acceptance of the term as used to identify themselves by those who clearly do not meet Christ's definition of Christian, by their acceptance do they not themselves violate Christ's definition of what it means to be Christian by refusing Christ's commandments to let your light shine as well as the Great Commission?

For those who may not understand Christ's admonition on judging, please refer to Matthew 7 where Christ tells us clearly how to identify those who are true and those who are false, as well as Paul's admonitions regarding judging in 1 Corinthians 5 and 6.

Certainly no one but Jesus on the judgment seat knows who will enter the kingdom of heaven. But we know from Matthew 7:23-24 and Matthew 25 that many who imagine they are going to make the cut will be greatly disappointed.

In short, Jesus' caution on judging precludes us from imagining we know who will make it into heaven and who will not, but it in no way was ever intended to keep us from knowing what it means to be a disciple of Christ, nor prevent us from sharing that knowledge with others, nor prevent us from using that knowledge to maintain discipline within the body of Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Snow
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So, if I don't know what a Christian is, how can I claim to be one?
Don't claim to be one.
Let Yahweh and others testify about your life.
They might call you all kind of things, like 'dungface'(paraphrase NT) and thief !
and they will hate you and seek to put you to death if you stand strong for truth -
if you obey Jesus, as Jesus said "the student ought to expect to be treated like His Master" ....

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟50,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If interested in this topic, I just saw that 3 used copies of my book on Christians Pacifism are now 1 penny! plus ship. on Amazon(First time. Look at the other prices. It is out of print except for e books)
hahaha great day ! I just looked and I bought this book for a penny a while back ... now it is over $40.... ... sad inflation ....
I don't think I still have the book though.... I think I liked it.

"You purchased this item on October 24, 2016.

Buy used:
$43.99$43.99

FREE delivery September 29 - October 5

Used: Good |
Sold by Hawking Books
Access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
Add to Cart

Add to List

Used (3) from
$43.99$43.99 & FREE Shipping

Follow the Author

Michael SnowMichael Snow
Follow

Christian pacifism: Fruit of the narrow way Paperback – January 1, 1981​

by Michael (C.) Snow (Author)

Reactions: Michael Snow
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟50,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In 1 Corinthians 5 Paul makes it clear the true body of Christ will not allow someone who claims as good and acceptable that which God has identified as evil to continue in membership in the body of Christ because allowing the person to remain would both spread the sin to the rest of the body as well as fail to take the steps necessary to save the soul of the offending member.
Yes. Not forgotten - it seems - rather rarely learned or known, even though necessary.

Upvote 0

Michael Snow

Sep 24, 2015
✟35,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hahaha great day ! I just looked and I bought this book for a penny a while back ... now it is over $40.... ... sad inflation ....
I don't think I still have the book though.... I think I liked it.

"You purchased this item on October 24, 2016.

Buy used:
$43.99$43.99

FREE delivery September 29 - October 5
Used: Good |
Sold by Hawking Books
Access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
Add to Cart

Add to List

Used (3) from
$43.99$43.99 & FREE Shipping

Follow the Author

Michael SnowMichael Snow
Follow

Christian pacifism: Fruit of the narrow way Paperback – January 1, 1981​

by Michael (C.) Snow (Author)
Thank you. I do see one, 'fair' copy for 17 at bookfinder.com but other copies quickly go past $40
The ebook is 3 dollars. Links here

Upvote 0

Michael Snow

Sep 24, 2015
✟35,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0