Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What do you think is going to happen to the people who have jumped on this bandwagon with little knowledge of what it will do to their bodies in the future. They're doing far to much with drugs that have gone through little or no drug trials. What is being changed in the body to cause the loss? To me it's scary to think of possible ramifications.
Do you understand the makeup of these drugs?

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What do you think is going to happen to the people who have jumped on this bandwagon with little knowledge of what it will do to their bodies in the future. They're doing far to much with drugs that have gone through little or no drug trials. What is being changed in the body to cause the loss? To me it's scary to think of possible ramifications.
Do you understand the makeup of these drugs?
It reminds me of what went on with COVID meds. Little testing.. will they tell us down the road of any adverse affects?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The downsides to being obese are so high that the benefits are worth it in the groups that are candidates to be prescribed Ozempic.

Ozempic is a GLP-1 agonist, it mimics a hormone that is involved in the sensation of long term satiety. It can produce super-physiologic effects beyond what diet alone could produce. Like all drugs, it has side effects but they are, on the whole, fairly minor, and the drug has been well studied.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that there will not be a positive outcome. People who want to lose weight fast, without proper exercising, or meals, and who look for such fast ways will face problems for sure. Not only from ozempic

I've learned not to be moralistic about people that are obese. There are alot of reasons people who are obese got fat, most of them not under the direct control of the person. In modern American society, it's basically an obesogenic environment, both in terms of the built environment, and the food/diet. In my mind, it's more of a matter of social justice than personal morality. We should demand that government takes obesity seriously and implements policies designed to help people have better food and more opportunities for safe physical activity.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The downsides to being obese are so high that the benefits are worth it in the groups that are candidates to be prescribed Ozempic.

Ozempic is a GLP-1 agonist, it mimics a hormone that is involved in the sensation of long term satiety. It can produce super-physiologic effects beyond what diet alone could produce. Like all drugs, it has side effects but they are, on the whole, fairly minor, and the drug has been well studied.
God made are bodies all working together in unison. A perfect balance. These drugs tamper with his perfect creation. On down the line i think we all are going to be shocked with the ramifications.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
God made are bodies all working together in unison. A perfect balance. These drugs tamper with his perfect creation. On down the line i think we all are going to be shocked with the ramifications.

True, but it's also unnatural to be obese.

Ofc, a society that makes people obese and sick and generates tons of profits from curing the sickness they created in the first place is a scam, a con, a fraud.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

That's a ridiculous argument against somebody who needs to lose weight using Ozempic. It's also absurd on its face. There are many diseases in the world, are those part of the "perfect" creation? There's nothing wrong with using medicine to treat disease.

I'm very health conscious but I don't make up ridiculous arguments against medicine. I know people who probably should be taking Ozempic. I don't judge them for that.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Ofc, a society that makes people obese and sick and generates tons of profits from curing the sickness they created in the first place is a scam, a con, a fraud.

Have you heard the saying "Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good"? For some people, Ozempic may be the most realistic option to lose weight for some people. Expecting fat people in general to take on an obesogenic environment just isn't helpful.

Like I said, I view it obesity as a social justice issue, not an issue of personal morality or choice. I have the privilege of being able to spend time researching nutrition and spending time exercising. I also don't own a television or a smart phone, and don't spend alot of time around the advertising cues prompting people to eat unhealthy foods. The Uber driver I had the other day, who was morbidly obese, may not have had those privileges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What I meant by built environment: in some towns and cities in the US, they don't even have sidewalks in residential areas. Many people feel (and somewhat rightly so) intimidated walking near traffic, especially in a street. Also, zoning codes in most cities privileges cars, causing a kind of development pattern that isn't conducive to walking or riding a bicycle.

I would recommend the Youtube channel CityNerd to anybody interested in issues of the built environment in America, to understand how inhumane it often is. He's a engineer that lives in Las Vegas, and gets around by bicycle.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This is a recent video and has me questioning what I believe. He shows us our history with food and the possible reason for obesity is environmental factors that lead to metabolism disruption.

Edited: auto play was on

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a recent video and has me questioning what I believe. He shows us our history with food and the possible reason for obesity is environmental factors that lead to metabolism disruption.

I think the video is based off limited information. Some things to consider:

Before WWII, America was still a farm-based economy. Pre-war farmers burned alot more calories than a person living a mostly sedentary life. One study of Old Order Amish showed they average 15,000 steps during a typical day, and they engage in alot more physically demanding activities around their farms.

In the 30's, 40's, and even early 50's in the US did alot more walking and had alot more non-exercise related physical activities (even somebody working at a job sorting toothbrushes is engaged in physical activity that is burning alot more calories than somebody sitting at a desk, something the person making the video doesn't seem to understand). Adults also often engaged in more social activities, they were also more likely to attend religious services. All those are factors that tend to be associated with lower BMI.

Snack foods were not widely available, serving sizes were smaller, and food was more expensive. Food in general wasn't advertisedas much. Fast food was something people ate only occasionally, and portion sizes were generally small (my grandfather, when he went to McDonalds, ordered the basic hamburger his whole life. Today, hardly anybody buys a simple hamburger at McDonald's).

In the 1960's, BMI did start trending upward, though it didn't rise as much as it did in the 1970's and 80's.

If you really want to understand how obesity is related to the food environment, you need to look up Dr. Marion Nestle. She is a Harvard professor of nutrition and has written alot about how the financialization of our economy, as well as big business friendly deregulation starting under Carter and Reagan, has created perverse incentives to market cheap, unhealthy foods to the US population. Something that didn't exist in the 1950's, when food was mostly the product of small companies and family farms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Did you watch the videos? It talked about activity.

In some points in the video, it implies that activity of people in the past didn't matter much. Also, it isn't accurately portraying the fact that people who ate a 1950's diet were gaining weight over time, just at a lower rate than since the 1970's.

After WWII, the US government's food policy was obsessed with malnutrition- especially people being too thin (since this was a problem during the war, some men were not heavy enough to be acceptable as soldiers in WWII), so they focused on high calorie foods like butter. Not to keep people thin- quite the opposite, they wanted people to not be underweight, and butter was a relatively cheap, calorie dense food.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In some points in the video, it implies that activity of people in the past didn't matter much. Also, it isn't accurately portraying the fact that people who ate a 1950's diet were gaining weight over time, just at a lower rate than since the 1970's.

After WWII, the US government's food policy was obsessed with malnutrition- especially people being too thin (since this was a problem during the war, some men were not heavy enough to be acceptable as soldiers in WWII), so they focused on high calorie foods like butter. Not to keep people thin- quite the opposite, they wanted people to not be underweight, and butter was a relatively cheap, calorie dense food.
Can I see some sources?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Can I see some sources?

Look at this chart. Weight was rising even in the early 60's:

It's best to stick to experts like nutritionists with Ph.D's and not bro-science. The obesity epidemic is not a big secret except to people wanting to sell you an agenda not based in science. There's big money being made off selling people cheap junk food. Nobody wants to kill that golden goose, it would result in an indictment, not just of our food system, but our entire financial system and the reigning neoliberal, pro-corporatist ideology.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look at this chart. Weight was rising even in the early 60's:
False information especially eating more the people of old were eating 3000+ calories a day. I don't think you watched the video.
There's big money being made off selling people cheap junk food. Nobody wants to kill that golden goose, it would result in an indictment, not just of our food system, but our entire financial system and the reigning neoliberal, pro-corporatist ideology.
I still believe this.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
False information especially eating more the people of old were eating 3000+ calories a day. I don't think you watched the video.

Not everybody back then was eating 3,000 calories a day. That was simply a common recommendation for men at the time, based on limited science and public health policy.

In 1970, the average American consumed 2,100 calories per day. I'd imagine it was similar in the 50's and 60's. That's actually less than today, which is around 2,500.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I meant by built environment: in some towns and cities in the US, they don't even have sidewalks in residential areas. Many people feel (and somewhat rightly so) intimidated walking near traffic, especially in a street. Also, zoning codes in most cities privileges cars, causing a kind of development pattern that isn't conducive to walking or riding a bicycle.

I would recommend the Youtube channel CityNerd to anybody interested in issues of the built environment in America, to understand how inhumane it often is. He's a engineer that lives in Las Vegas, and gets around by bicycle.

This is something I was a bit looking into, too. Many people in the USA live in suburbs which have basically no groceries or restaurants, so they had to take a car and ride into the closest... fast foods and junk restaurants. Nothing better is near.

People living directly in a US city may have it easier, but still many city parts are far away from a normal grocery. And most of the grocery shops goods is junk, anyway. I do not know how good is grocery delivery to home and how used it is among common Americans.

Another problem seems to be that common Americans spend so much time in commuting from home to work and back (because of the bad city design) that the fast food is the easiest choice for them (and sometimes even the only possible choice).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is something I was a bit looking into, too. Many people in the USA live in suburbs which have basically no groceries or restaurants, so they had to take a car and ride into the closest... fast foods and junk restaurants. Nothing better is near.

People living directly in a US city may have it easier, but still many city parts are far away from a normal grocery. And most of the grocery shops goods is junk, anyway. I do not know how good is grocery delivery to home and how used it is among common Americans.

Another problem seems to be that common Americans spend so much time in commuting from home to work and back (because of the bad city design) that the fast food is the easiest choice for them (and sometimes even the only possible choice).

Obesity is a complicated problem, but America being one of the fattest country's in the world fits with the standard model of obesity, and doesn't require a carbohydrate-insulin model to explain it. Sedentary lifestyle is part of the picture, but the food environment is the 800 lb. elephant in the room.

If you want to learn more about the standard model of obesity, I recommend the Youtube channel Physionic. The content creator of the channel is a metabolomic research scientist.

Here's one of Nicholaus' videos exploring the carbohydrate-insulin model of obesity, vs. the standard calorie model (he favors the standard model, but discusses both on his channel).

Dr. Stephan Guyenet is also tends to fall into this camp. He researches obesity and brain hormones:

Last edited:
Upvote 0