Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure how much in politics can be done without some drama. It's like sales and marketing you usually have to over sell it because of only some of what you say sticks.

I'd rather decisions be made based on available evidence and not hype and drama.

A lot of the calls to open up seem to be based on fear-mongering of a downed economy causing a worse tragedy than the pandemic would. Yet I can find zero evidence to support those fears.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ridiculous argument...!

Booze, smokes, cars....are all a matter of individual choice! They aren’t the responsibility of governments, in terms of who uses them or who doesn’t...

However, the primary concern of governments is to protect their citizens from those things which threaten their safety and security........like pandemic diseases...!
no because people are saying we should prevent as any deaths as possbile, but yet not up in arms about those things which kill more people than this virus ever has.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Have you decided which of your friends and family you're OK with condemning to die by a hasty reopening, or do you want it to be a surprise?
"condemning" them to die? Pretty sure I am not killing them. I also am not requiring them to go out, and moreover in my particular county there is not one confirmed active case. In fact, of the cases that were confirmed ( 56) only about three were community spread the rest were residents/ employees of the county nursing home. Most of them, by the way also recovered we have only had five deaths county wide. The next county over where we go to do most of our major shopping this whole time has had just 200 cases and 13 deaths.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not a good idea.

Opening everything back up like the pandemic isn't there is just going to result in a spike in infections. It would undo all the effort that went into containing the spread in the first place.
Bull.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What evidence do you have that the virus will not spread after everything is opened and the medical systems will become overwhelmed?

Do you think it is a hoax?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"condemning" them to die? Pretty sure I am not killing them. I also am not requiring them to go out, and moreover in my particular county there is not one confirmed active case. In fact, of the cases that were confirmed ( 56) only about three were community spread the rest were residents/ employees f the county nursing home. Most of them, by the way also recovered we have only had five deaths county wide. The next county over where we go to do most of our major shopping this whole time has had just 200 cases and 13 deaths.
Oh, well, if it won't affect you personally, I guess it's OK then.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd rather decisions be made based on available evidence and not hype and drama.

A lot of the calls to open up seem to be based on fear-mongering of a downed economy causing a worse tragedy than the pandemic would. Yet I can find zero evidence to support those fears.
What do people want no one to get sick and die before we open up that will not happen. People die every day and everyone will at some point die. We canot just stay closed and wait for this to stop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What evidence do you have that the virus will not spread after everything is opened and the medical systems will become overwhelmed?

Do you think it is a hoax?
Maybe not a hoax, but at this point they are certainly playing it up more than it needs to be. That is not the same thing as saying that this is not serious it is not even the same thing as saying that at the beginning they should not have closed down it is saying at this point opening up is needed with the understanding that people will still get sick and yes die.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This claim from the letter reads like hyperbolic fear-mongering and not necessarily anything based on fact:

The millions of casualties of a continued shutdown will be hiding in plain sight,but they will be called alcoholism, homelessness, suicide, heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure. In youths it will be called financial instability, unemployment, despair, drug addiction, unplanned pregnancies, poverty, and abuse.

Of course! They're speculative notions. Might be the case and might not. I'd hardly think though anyone can prove there isn't some valid truths to what they're saying and shouldn't be considered. Making a case for continued shut downs can be just as extreme.

I do see driving by our beer store long lineups. Simple as 1+1=2......when people aren't doing any thing and don't have a demand to be sober many can go to the extremes. The same as other substance abuse issues.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe not a hoax, but at this point they are certainly playing it up more than it needs to be. That is not the same thing as saying that this is not serious it is not even the same thing as saying that at the beginning they should not have closed down it is saying at this point opening up is needed with the understanding that people will still get sick and yes die.
The problem I have with reopening is that this was the logic applied to the 1918 after the first year. The second wave that winter was deadlier than the first. If you are willing to see more than 500,000 dead (at the low end) this winter, go ahead.

I will be hunkering down for a long time here. Go ahead and go outside, just don't come to my door.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It’s only two percent of the population. Nothing major, just like our civil war deaths.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The problem I have with reopening is that this was the logic applied to the 1918 after the first year. The second wave that winter was deadlier than the first. If you are willing to see more than 500,000 dead (at the low end) this winter, go ahead.

I will be hunkering down for a long time here. Go ahead and go outside, just don't come to my door.
Well, as I literally live clear across the country I do not think I would be coming within even 1,000 miles of your door,. It will be interesting to see how bad a second wave is ( if it shows up).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, as I literally live clear across the country I do not think I would be coming within even 1,000 miles of your door. It will be interesting to see how bad a second wave is ( if it shows up).
It will show up. There is already a surge in the states that are reopening.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not that hyperbolic. During the height of the shutdown, all medical treatment that wasn't either Covid related or Emergency room urgent was put off. That means that for 4-6 weeks people who were scheduled for serious stuff like cancer treatment, e.g. tumors removed, chemo therapy, and other serious issues like needing knee surgery to be able to walk because of extreme pain etc. ; those people were stuck, furthermore all medical personnel around those services were also unemployed along with the rest of the populace. And the governors of many states were dragging their feet on having those services restored....

I think the fear of blame has largely shaped public policy on these issues, and not any genuine cost benefit analysis that goes into any legitimate public policy decisions.

...and your qualifications to make such a risk assessment are?

I think leaders reallocated medical facilities based on the modeling information they had at the time. The country was simply not prepared to handle a pandemic. The non-covid risk you lay are certainly real. The question is, how do ramp up our public health capability now to handle virus outbreaks and support non-convid patients who need critical care?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What do people want no one to get sick and die before we open up that will not happen. People die every day and everyone will at some point die. We canot just stay closed and wait for this to stop.

It's a question of relative harm. Ideally we should take actions to minimize the total number of deaths. And this means taking an evidence-based approach to decision making around the pandemic mitigation strategies.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'd hardly think though anyone can prove there isn't some valid truths to what they're saying and shouldn't be considered.

Where is the evidence though? Because everyone making noise about harm caused by shutdowns hasn't been able to bring anything to the table.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.