Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You have been shown, you just do not accept. It is commonsense- who did Jesus Christ , God -come in the flesh of? From whom did God assume flesh from? So, through whom has God become flesh?
And I have repeatedly stated that I accept the Virgin birth and that Mary is 'mother of God'
But.. no where do I see we are to pray or go thru her for anything.
Please don't start quoting the same things I have read over and over in this thread and other places.
ty

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You have been shown, you just do not accept. It is commonsense- who did Jesus Christ , God -come in the flesh of? From whom did God assume flesh from? So, through whom has God become flesh?
I think earlier she did agree that Mary was theotokos, mother of God. Her issue is a smaller one than that, that she does not see that Mary has a role in salvation.

Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And I have repeatedly stated that I accept the Virgin birth and that Mary is 'mother of God'
But.. no where do I see we are to pray or go thru her for anything.
Please don't start quoting the same things I have read over and over in this thread and other places.
ty
I would like you to consider a few things. First, the definition of co-mediator (and any of the other 'co-' words) applied to Mary. It is natural to assume that the action is split 50-50 with those words, but that would be wrong. Maybe more like 99-1 or something like that. Maybe even co-mediators on a whole different minor level so it's really 100+0.01. You and I are co-mediators with Jesus in the same way every time we pray for a person. We co-mediate, but without Jesus as the mediator with the Father, our mediation would be nothing at all. So to with Mary as co-mediator. She gets no mileage at all without Jesus as the mediator.

Second, the role of Mary is often seen as having said 'Yes' in Luke 1, where she had the freedom to have said 'no'. If she had said no, there would have been no Jesus, no redemption, no salvation. (Oh, maybe God would have figured out a different way.) But Mary did have the real power to say 'no' and instead she assented. She co-operated with the incarnation. Again, not that she could have done it at all on her own, but that God chose to do it with her agreement. In that way, by agreeing to bear and raise Jesus she assisted in the redemption. A small but real and essential role of assistance. We Catholics see that as a huge thing. Nobody before her could have had such a role. Not even Moses.

And then when we look at Jesus and Mary at the wedding at Cana, Mary has a mysterious role in getting Jesus to do his first sign. The wedding officials went through Mary. That story is included for us, so we can see that Mary can advocate for us, can mediate for us. She couldn't turn water into wine, but she did get Jesus to do it. Jesus cannot be replaced, as if Mary goes straight to the Father. But Mary has some role. It's there in the Gospels. There IS something there even if it is not what Protestants typically love to fear with hyperbole as great as any Catholic could ever imagine.

Upvote 0

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your reply but that is the same thing I read everywhere all over the net on catholic sites and the forums and I have stated that this is placing too much on the cana wedding example to have an entire doctrine and also 'son behold thy mother'. That is just too weak to practically build a religion on. Why is it that no one has any other scripture? For we have one advocate with the Father.
That is your que to tell me the church came before the Bible. We all seem to go round and round on these forums repeating the same things :)

Another thing.. yes, we would have had Jesus because He always existed and was with the Father before He came to earth. I am sure had she said 'no' he would have had a plan B.. but also feel sure He knew she would say yes.

I have worked thru the 'pope issue' and others but this one... major!
Before someone jumps in and starts again.. I do agree that Mary was theotokos, mother of God
She may pray for us.. not saying she doesn't because of scripture saying great cloud of witnesses, prayers of the saints etc but no where tells us to contact those not on earth to intercede for us with Jesus when we are told to go to him directly.

Seriously, I have heard all the sides on other threads... don't feel like going thru them all again.. nothing gained. . feels like many are not even reading what I say (some are).
Like G.K. Chesterton said:
though this is unfair to people who only profess to be human
beings, it is a fact that Catholics ought to remember. There is
many a convert who has reached a stage at which no word from
any Protestant or pagan could any longer hold him back. Only the
word of a Catholic can keep him from Catholicism.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thank you for your reply but that is the same thing I read everywhere all over the net on catholic sites and the forums and I have stated that this is placing too much on the cana wedding example to have an entire doctrine and also 'son behold thy mother'. That is just too weak to practically build a religion on. Why is it that no one has any other scripture? For we have one advocate with the Father.
Well, what can I say? The Cana thing is in the Bible. And it's not like a whole religion is built on that. Catholics get the complaint that we're too into Mary, too much emphasis on her. But then when it comes to Christmas we give it a whole octave. In fact the Christmas season only officially closes with the feast of the baptism of the Lord in a few days. When it comes to Easter, again a whole octave, and the Easter season goes all the way to Pentecost. And we have whole preparatory seasons of Advent and Lent to boot. Other Christians may, or may not, observe those days, but when the day is over, it's all done. They think we overdo it. So many things they think we overdo. But if you look at the whole in perspective, there is a balance. Mary is not exalted, but taken alone it may look that way. St. Barnabas even gets his day. That might be seen as him being exalted, but in perspective it comes down to Jesus and His Father and Their Spirit are overwhelmingly exalted, worshiped, adored, and loved. That is the balance. It looks like a wild and uncontrollable party. In reality it is the wedding feast of the Lamb, and everyone is celebrated in celebrating the bride and groom. That's why it is a good party. We have a few excesses, but we're not somber.

Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, what can I say? The Cana thing is in the Bible. And it's not like a whole religion is built on that. Catholics get the complaint that we're too into Mary, too much emphasis on her. But then when it comes to Christmas we give it a whole octave. In fact the Christmas season only officially closes with the feast of the baptism of the Lord in a few days. When it comes to Easter, again a whole octave, and the Easter season goes all the way to Pentecost. And we have whole preparatory seasons of Advent and Lent to boot. Other Christians may, or may not, observe those days, but when the day is over, it's all done. They think we overdo it. So many things they think we overdo. But if you look at the whole in perspective, there is a balance. Mary is not exalted, but taken alone it may look that way. St. Barnabas even gets his day. That might be seen as him being exalted, but in perspective it comes down to Jesus and His Father and Their Spirit are overwhelmingly exalted, worshiped, adored, and loved. That is the balance. It looks like a wild and uncontrollable party. In reality it is the wedding feast of the Lamb, and everyone is celebrated in celebrating the bride and groom. That's why it is a good party. We have a few excesses, but we're not somber.
Lol.. i like it that you go 'overboard' on christmas etc. That's a good thing. But I see what you are saying.
Believe it or not I am making 'progress'. I can't really think of anything else that is holding me back.. just the praying to those are no longer alive on earth. (yes i know they are alive but we cant communicate with them.. not supposed to anyway.)
I started out seeking Orthodox since Hank Hannegraft converted last april.. but the icons. I cannot do the icons :)
Also their service seems middle eastern (well it IS middle eastern) and I am used to Episcopal and in the past, Baptist.

They say that Peter was not the head Bishop.
RC say that he is.
If he was then the Pope is authentic.
If he wasn't then the Orthodox are right.
Prot. say Petra doesnt mean the church
but just reading it.. it seems to me to be what the catholics say it is along with the keys of the kingdom.
Each side says the other split away.
So much confusion.

Upvote 0

Victory123

Jan 12, 2018
Albany County
✟19,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think earlier she did agree that Mary was theotokos, mother of God. Her issue is a smaller one than that, that she does not see that Mary has a role in salvation.
Do you have a role in salvation? Do all believers have a role in salvation's story? Salvation is in Christ alone but as believers we are all given gifts, which are to be administered to the lost. Her gift is in her own song.
Her soul magnifies the Lord. What does this mean? To magnify in a spiritual sense- but like physical magnification, it brings us , the seekers clearer understanding of the source of our salvation. She who has intimate knowledge of Christ, gives us deeper clarity concerning Him. She does not remove the source, or replace the source, or add to the source, as all magnification does not. Simply she brings us closer to the heart of the source. Through her magnification, details that we can not see, concerning the HEART of the WORD, not just the surface, she helps us see. Much false interpretation of Christ's words happens often and has happened throughout time because of a lack of spiritual magnification. Those who apply a devotion to our Mother, do not lack this. But others misread the heart of the word who do not have a devotion to her.

Matthew 13:19-21

The Parable of the Sower Explained
…19When anyone hears the message of the kingdom but does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The seed sown on rocky ground is the one who hears the word and promptly receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he remains for only a season. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away.…
Since She is the woman of Rev.12 devotion to her brings forth the "Male Child" in us, He was caught up to God and His throne. Since the prophecy says: "He (WAS), this means Christ already went up to heaven because He ascended , and this because He was already here. So, this therefore is speaking of a spiritual bringing forth, and this is of the soul.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Lol.. i like it that you go 'overboard' on christmas etc. That's a good thing. But I see what you are saying.
Yes. We go overboard on most things. Which is to say we maintain the balance. One way of looking at heresy is that it pays attention to one little truth to the exception of all others. We do the whole thing in a balance that looks wild, but ... it's like an ecosystem with a million species vs an ecosystem with three species. The more stable and resilient one has the million species. So too the Catholics with all of their excesses are the better at balance, even if sometimes it looks crazy out of balance.
Believe it or not I am making 'progress'. I can't really think of anything else that is holding me back.. just the praying to those are no longer alive on earth. (yes i know they are alive but we cant communicate with them.. not supposed to anyway.)
Praying to saints is not necromancy. That is even condemned by the Catholic Church.
I started out seeking Orthodox since Hank Hannegraft converted last april.. but the icons. I cannot do the icons :)
Also their service seems middle eastern (well it IS middle eastern) and I am used to Episcopal and in the past, Baptist.
Icons may not be your cup of tea, but you could figure it out. You could do icons. As I sit here there is an icon I can see of Mary and the infant Jesus. Also a new icon of the 21 martyrs beheaded by ISIS being granted the crowns of eternal life by Jesus. As to Orthodox liturgy being middle eastern, yes mostly it is. But then the Maronite and Melchite Catholic liturgies are as well. Maronite, I think is done in Aramaic. But then there are Orthodox liturgies done in English. Ethnicity is a powerful thing, but one should not be locked into it so that one has to have an exclusively Anglican or Aramaic or Greek or Russian or Latin experience. The Catholic Church isn't locked into any one ethnic worship. We do have the Aramaic and now even the Anglican. The latter, I may have mentioned to you already, is called the Anglican Ordinariate. It is basically a non-geographical diocese made up of those who are former Anglicans and Episcopalians who follow the old Cranmerian Prayerbook (with some tweaks to make it Catholic again). There are churches like St. Barnabas in Omaha that were founded as Episcopalian a century or so ago and continue on in the Anglican tradition, but now as Catholics. History
They say that Peter was not the head Bishop.
RC say that he is.
If he was then the Pope is authentic.
If he wasn't then the Orthodox are right.
The Orthodox had admitted that the pope was 'first among equals' but then some Orthodox don't even accept that the pope (or you or I) is a validly baptized person, so that's a mess. If and when the Orthodox can come to an agreement among themselves on accepting Catholic baptism, then it might be worth it to talk about what they think of the patriarch of Rome.
Prot. say Petra doesnt mean the church
but just reading it.. it seems to me to be what the catholics say it is along with the keys of the kingdom.
Each side says the other split away.
The word 'petra' means rock. People argue about this word because it's normally a feminine word in Greek, but then Peter was male. The argument goes round and round. But only in a few places in the Bible has God changed a person's name. Abram and Sara and Simon are about it. (Paul? anyone else?) The name change is ontologically a big deal. I take it to mean that Simon has a new big deal role as head of the apostles. Not dictator, but then again not the nothing that Protestants (and some Orthodox) believe either.
So much confusion.
Some day it will all come out in the wash. I won't live that long, so I have to go with what has been given to me to understand. And that is that there is truth in the Catholic Church. Yes there is truth in Orthodoxy and even among the Protestants, which is undeniable. But the whole Catholic thing does hang together. And try as we may, after almost 2000 years of trying, we have not yet destroyed it. To me THAT is the biggest God thing about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you have a role in salvation? Do all believers have a role in salvation's story? Salvation is in Christ alone but as believers we are all given gifts, which are to be administered to the lost.
Of course. A tiny role, but a real one. I am in that way an actual co-redeemer with Christ. Not that I could do it alone. Not that God requires my help. But that I have been allowed to assist in a small way in the salvation of those I meet along the way.

Upvote 0