• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OT - Bipolar Disorder

Rayancaleb

Jan 25, 2018
london
✟528.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hi,
I have recently developed an interest in this condition (like in the last 5 minutes). So I'm starting from zero knowledge. Obviously there is Google which leads firstly and mostly to standard medical conventional wisdom.Like with all conditions, OSA, cardiovascular, obesity, diabetes, back pain, etc. that I have researched in the past, I have been led to partially distrust conventional wisdom and always seek alternative views for reference and comparison.
So I'm requesting any links and blogs that may provide bipolar info from an alternative perspective or just any experience you may have with friends or loved ones with this condition (causes, treatment, how to deal with bipolar people, are drugs really the only solution?, etc.).
Thanks.

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewto79349/OT--Bipol
Explainer production

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi,
I have recently developed an interest in this condition (like in the last 5 minutes). So I'm starting from zero knowledge. Obviously there is Google which leads firstly and mostly to standard medical conventional wisdom.Like with all conditions, OSA, cardiovascular, obesity, diabetes, back pain, etc. that I have researched in the past, I have been led to partially distrust conventional wisdom and always seek alternative views for reference and comparison.
So I'm requesting any links and blogs that may provide bipolar info from an alternative perspective or just any experience you may have with friends or loved ones with this condition (causes, treatment, how to deal with bipolar people, are drugs really the only solution?, etc.).
Thanks.
Basically, Bipolar Disorder is a brain disorder, not an emotional problem. It tends to run in families, so there is a genetic componant. Usually some sort of trauma flips the genetic switch, although not always. Stress in the environment makes it worse.

For normal people, their moods go up and down like rolling hills. The up and down moods of those with Bipolar Disorder are more like the Himalayas.

Bipolar depressions can be among the worst known, paralyzing, with uncontrolled crying, sleep problems, weight change, suicidal ideation. The confusion, memory problems, and difficulty getting out of bed and being on tie and staying focused can make it impossible to hold down a job, which is why so many of those with BD are on disability.

Being manic is hardly less destructive. In Bipolar I, we get "hypo-manic" which means our mood is higher than average, but not as high as Bipolar II. We do things like become promiscuous, max out our credit cards and rack up overdraft penalties, and say all sorts of inappropriate things we deeply regret later. Many of us don't know we are manic; we think that this (compared to depression) is "normal."

In Bipolar II we can even get psychotic, imagining that we are Enlightened Messiahs or something paranoid like that we are secret agents and the Russians are trying to kill us. We do grossly inappropriate things like drive 140 mph or walk down the street naked. We might even forget who we are and where we live. We just know that life is great and we feel downright wonderful!

The disorder requires a two-prong approach, both medication and talk therapy. One of the medications needs to be a mood stabilizer like lithium or lamictal or geodon. One is usually an antidepressant. And often a mild anti-psychotic is included like risperidal. Often, a medication can be chosen for more than one purpose. For example, many patients also have insomnia, and risperidal also is good for that.

Talk therapy can vary between many types, depending on what the patient needs at the time. A therapist may wish to explore the childhood trauma that flipped the switch. Life skills might be taught. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a great short term method for dealing with depression by countering it with rational thoughts. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy was actually designed for Borderline Personality Disorder, but many with BD are also sensitive enough that they can benefit from it.

What can you do if you know someone with BD? I'd like to approach this two ways. The first is be very patient and non-judging. You can't possibly imagine the pain they are going through or what it is like to be a slave to something so disabling. If you can (I know it's not always possible) LISTEN to them. Don't try to fix them--you can't. Sometimes, however, you can remind them that they are depressed or manic and not seeing things rationally. If they are depressed especially, tell them that you care, and that it will pass.

The second thing I'd like to say is take care of yourself or you will burn out and then they won't have a friend. Set boundaries and enforce them. For example, if they are calling you to much, say that you'll accept one phone call a day from them, or however much you decide. If they threaten to harm or kill themselves or others, call the police right away. If they are self destructive in some other way, such as going off their meds, don't put up with it -- tell them you don't want to see them until they are back on their meds because you won't support them hurting themselves. IOW, create emotional distance to protect yourself.

Upvote 0