OSTROV (The Island) in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jacob4707

Is this legit:

http://www.amazon.com/Island-Ostrov-ENGLISH-subtitles/dp/B000LTTOOS/

I.e., is it really available in a Region-Free NTSC DVD, with English subtitles?

Product Description
ENGLISH subtitled DVD !!! IMPORT, NTSC (USA & Canada), ALL REGION, WIDESCREEN. AUDIO OPTIONS: DD 2.0 Stereo, DD 5.1 & DTS RUSSIAN. Original Russian artwork.............................................................. SYNOPSIS: Winner of 5 Nika Awards (Russian Oscars) including Best Film. Somewhere in Northern Russia in a small Russian Orthodox monastery lives a very unusual man. His fellow-monks are confused by his bizarre conduct. Those who visit the island believe that the man has the power to heal, exorcise demons and foretell the future. However, he considers himself unworthy because of a sin he committed in his youth. The film is a parable, combining the realities of Russian everyday life with monastic ritual and routine.

I guess I could return it to Amazon if it won't play as described.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have no clue as to technical details.

Seems like your best bet these days is to find a disreputable small DVD player that will play absolutely anything. (I have a German 'Xoro' that, while simple, gives me no flack about regions.) That or buy a Euro-DVD and bring it back to the states to play those Euro-DVDs.

But it is worth trouble to see this film. I suppose that if you came to Moscow I could see about hooking you up...

Upvote 0

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If it is region free, it should work in an ordinary DVD player. I have some region free DVDs and they work fine in my DVD player and its just an ordinary cheap DVD player.

Edit: In the "Product Details" it says it is region 1, NTSC, widescreen, and subtitled.

Upvote 0
J

Jacob4707

If it is region free, it should work in an ordinary DVD player. I have some region free DVDs and they work fine in my DVD player and its just an ordinary cheap DVD player.

Edit: In the "Product Details" it says it is region 1, NTSC, widescreen, and subtitled.

Yeah, I know. But the Product Description varies from this a bit, hence my question, in case anyone out there has this edition.

Product Description
ENGLISH subtitled DVD !!! IMPORT, NTSC (USA & Canada), ALL REGION, WIDESCREEN. AUDIO OPTIONS: DD 2.0 Stereo, DD 5.1 & DTS RUSSIAN. Original Russian artwork..............................................................

I suspect it's letterbox Widescreen, not anamorphic, but the clips I've seen make it well worth it even if it's not anamorphic.

Upvote 0

cassc

Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Even if it's PAL, couldn't you convert it to NTSC and burn it to a new disk or just watch it on PC? I've thought about getting it and just doing that.
Oh sure you could do that, if you had any idea what you are talking about. I bought some fancy DVD burner thing that was ahead of the curve when I got it 5+ yrs ago, of course I never used it an now it is probably comparable to a child's plaything...
Sooo do you need some special program to convert DVDS?:confused:

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh sure you could do that, if you had any idea what you are talking about. I bought some fancy DVD burner thing that was ahead of the curve when I got it 5+ yrs ago, of course I never used it an now it is probably comparable to a child's plaything...
Sooo do you need some special program to convert DVDS?:confused:

If it will burn DVDs, it would work, the conversion would take place on the software side. I don't do a lot of burning but (I would think) a good burn program should at least play region encoded DVDs, though you might need to download a specific codec to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

Jacob4707

Actually, I ordered one of those and it came last week. It is what it claims to be. The DVD plays on our player, and the English subtitles are nicely done. At times, reading the subtitles is like reading your prayers. :)

Did you order this one from this merchant:

$24.40 + $2.98shipping
New
Seller: burevij
Rating:
stars-5-0._V46910382_.gif
96% positive over the past 12 months (81 ratings.) 84 lifetime ratings.
Shipping: In Stock. Ships from NY, United States Expedited shipping available International shipping available See shipping rates
Comments: NTSC SYSTEM DVD!!! Works on any US DVD-Player! WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES!!! WE SHIP EVERY DAY!!!

Is it widescreen letterbox - or widescreen anamorphic?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.