• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Plasma physics experiments in space - English subtitles.

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Michael, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+1,207
    Christian

The actual video is only about 5 minutes long and it repeats itself. The first half includes the Russian commentary as well as the English subtitles, and the 'replay' omits the sound entirely.

The three most interesting observations are the formation of 'crystal like' features in the dusty plasma which are apparently related to repulsion from the charge of the dust grains. The second interesting observation is the formation of "galaxy like" structures in a "free fall" scenario where gravity is obviously a minor influence at best case. The most interesting feature (and the one observation that I really didn't expect to see) was the formation of a "void" region inside the bucket which the dust particles seemed to flow around. I can only surmise that the empty region has some type of 'crust' around it that is held together by EM fields, or something like/akin to surface tension. The first two observations didn't surprise me, but the last one blew my mind. :)

Weird.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+4,765
    Atheist
    Interesting... I can't help wondering if this may have applications to fusion plasma confinement, if not on Earth, perhaps in microgravity, e.g. fusion plants beaming microwave power to the surface.

3. Michael

+1,207
    Christian
    Perhaps so. The crystallization observation as well as the galaxy formation features didn't surprise me, but the observation of a "void", and the dust movement around that void blew my mind. I'm still processing that observation to try to make some logical sense of it.

4. Michael

+1,207
    Christian
    I'm still struggling to understand the formation of that 'void', and the particle flow patterns around that void. How does even that happen, and why would the void persist in the middle of a particle flow process? That's just bizarre IMO.

The crystallization features, and certainly the galaxy formation observations and similarities make total sense to me. I expected to see galaxy formation features, and the charged particle crystallization process seems logical to me, but I'm really struggling to understand how and why that void formed and what keeps it empty while particles inside the bucket flow around it. I'm still trying to make sense of that observation.

5. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+4,814
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    I was working with a high voltage capacitor many years ago with an exposed charged plate.

I was putting small rocks on top of it to observe what it does to it. in one occassion, the small rock floated on top of the plate by electrostatic repulsion and then the rock flew away in a spiral. The path it took resembled a Fibonacci curve and Galactic spiral arms look like one too!

There's no magnets nearby. The strongest electromagnetic field present is the the Earth's natural magnetic field and from the motion of the electrically charged rock itself.