Not open for further replies.

?4TAW

Now an Orthodox Christian
Apr 26, 2005
✟136.00
Faith
Christian
Back for more help!

Where I come from we say something to the effect of "as we pray so we believe". I would like to start praying the prayers of Orthodox believers. Can someone please recommend a book of prayers? Do the Orthodox have something simliar to the Roman and Anglican breviaries which contain prayers for the various offices of the day?

Thank you for your guidance.

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello ?4TAW :)

Here's a small, inexpensive prayer book sold by Conciliar Press that would be perfect for you: http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/pocket_prayer_book_for_orthodox_christians.html

It also contains the text of the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

If you are looking for something with more of the services in it, they also have the "Red Service Book" compiled by the Antiochians: http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/service_book_red_.html It has services such as Baptism, Funeral, and occasional prayers, along with the same morning/evening prayers in the Pocket Prayer Book.

Upvote 0

Alexis OCA

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 22, 2004
✟2,466.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There is no real breviary - we never got around to cutting things down so they could all fit the moveable daily things in one small set of books [the word comes from a word meaning 'brief']. The prayer book I use is the Jordanville prayer book, but it has its deficiencies and it doesn't contain the offices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
By mentioning it has deficiencies, I would like to point out I very much love it, but I wish it were everything and a kite. I mean, it'd be great if you could just open it and be like, "Hmm, I wonder what the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts is like..." when obviously it's not designed to be that. It's very good at what it is.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
gzt said:
By mentioning it has deficiencies, I would like to point out I very much love it, but I wish it were everything and a kite. I mean, it'd be great if you could just open it and be like, "Hmm, I wonder what the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts is like..." when obviously it's not designed to be that. It's very good at what it is.

I like it, too, but you're right.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.