Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello to everybody,

I wanted to ask if anyone has a certain moleben service in his/her parish where names of relatives could be included in the prayer service for the required fee.

The moleben was recently introduced in the Russian Orthodox Church (Synod meeting from 13.10.2022) . It is intended for "baptised orthodox but unbelieving"
(which most practicing orthodox laymen have among their relatives) It is also intended for other groups of people, the currently described one is just the one of my current concern.

The moleben's name in Russian is "Молебен о заблудших" (roughly translated as "Moleben for those that are deceived/in delusion as to the Truth")

The Russian churches in Russia offer the possibility to pay online and record names for this moleben, however the EU does not permit bank payments to Russia (due to the war in Ukraine). Having nobody living in Russia who could help is an additional problem.

Does anybody know of an orthodox parish which has this moleben service and where a bank payment for the fee will be accepted from an EU country? (e. g. a Russian parish in the US/EU or elsewhere?)

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildflower3

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have never heard of any moleben requiring a fee.

I have occasionally heard of such things but not with regards to Molebens, but rather, for instance, weddings.

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have never heard of any moleben requiring a fee.
I mean the fee for each name of a person you include in the moleben (so that at the certain part of the service the priest says for example "have mercy oh Lord on your servants John, Mary, Peter, [...] etc."

It is a standard practice in the Bulgarian and Russian orthodox churches. The parishioners write paper notes with these names, pay a fee for each name and the priest reads the names during the service.

The same can be done online at some parishes via online writing of names and online payment of the fee to the parish.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean the fee for each name of a person you include in the moleben (so that at the certain part of the service the priest says for example "have mercy oh Lord on your servants John, Mary, Peter, [...] etc."

It is a standard practice in the Bulgarian and Russian orthodox churches. The parishioners write paper notes with these names, pay a fee for each name and the priest reads the names during the service.

The same can be done online at some parishes via online writing of names and online payment of the fee to the parish.
yeah, I have never heard of a fee per name for a moleben. I know what folks do for a moleben, I have just never heard of paying for one.

Upvote 0

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟9,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

No Orthodox Church operating in North America, that I know of, including ROCOR and the Bulgarians and the Patriarchal parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate, charges for that, or for commemoration in the proskomide, etc. So perhaps you might reach out to a priest in the US or Canada.

Now churches do charge for candles but I suppose you could always bring your own.

Upvote 0