Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The badge and the gun are the same in that they are artifacts of the office.

A gun without a badge carries no authority.

The great majority of states now make resistance to LEO orders a criminal offense. Look it up.

Agreed.

Even if you think the officer is wrong, you must submit. The only exception is if one can prove he had a legitimate reason to believe the officer would maim or kill him even if submitted lawfully.

Right, if he's acting in an illegal nature that is potentially dangerous.

"Mob Rule" is ingrained in American culture as is corruption in law enforcement. In our town, a problem was quickly resolved with one action by a group of citizens.

I'm sure it was....I just don't agree with your opinion of mob rule or corruption.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter what I think. He can carry out his job as senator in any way that he feels best, and the voters will decide.

That's like saying his job has no ethical obligations.

I can't think of any job with no ethical obligations....perhaps moreso for a public servant. There is an ethically correct way to do his job.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
A state senator threatening to kill state troopers. Crazy.

Oregon Republican senator threatens state troopers, warns them to ‘come heavily armed’

Tensions were already smoldering in the Oregon Senate Wednesday, when Sen. Brian Boquist, R-Dallas, poured gasoline on the situation, suggesting he would shoot and potentially kill any state trooper sent to haul him unwillingly back to the Capitol.

“Send bachelors and come heavily armed. I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

Oregon Republican senator threatens state troopers, warns them to ‘come heavily armed’

This is Brian Boquist:
news4_boquist.jpg

Senator of Fortune

Though that's from a few years back. He's got a gray beard now.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's like saying his job has no ethical obligations.

No, I'm saying that the ethical obligations are judged by (1) the senator's own conscience and (2) the voters.

If the Governor or President can sack senators, you might as well not have senators at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm saying that the ethical obligations are judged by (1) the senator's own conscience and (2) the voters.

That would imply that ethics are entirely subjective and defined by the various and arguably conflicting opinions of different people...at different times...and not by the job he does.

That's not ethics by any understanding of it I know.

If the Governor or President can sack senators, you might as well not have senators at all.

Well that seems like a mischaracterization of what I said. I'm talking about someone refusing to do a job.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Really? Can someone be arrested if no crime is involved?

From what the police have said, they seem pretty clear that they have no authority to arrest any senators.

It would seem to, but it's certainly not spelled out in the constitution.
If the officer compels you to do something and you refuse, then they can arrest you. Like being brought in for questioning. You have to go with them.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not really.

Of course it is.

So am I and I'm saying that the people who ultimately decide are the people who appointed him to the job -- i.e. the voters.

And what I'm saying is that isn't a code of ethics....it's not even a code. It's an excuse to get away with whatever you can get away with.

Let's say the senator repeatedly breaks the law and doesn't get caught....therefore the voters don't remove him. According to the "ethics" you just described, that's acceptable, because the voters didn't remove him.

Obviously that's not a code of ethics.

Edit- Maybe it would help to put it another way....

Imagine we're talking about a customer service job....would "anything is acceptable as long as you don't get fired" be a code of ethics? If you were in some other public service job....would any behavior be acceptable as long as you don't get fired/removed?

The short answer is no....that's ridiculous. The bare minimum ethical code for any job would have to include showing up to do your job...and this guy isn't even doing that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it would help to put it another way....

Maybe.

Imagine we're talking about a customer service job....would "anything is acceptable as long as you don't get fired" be a code of ethics?

There's a miscommunication here, and I'm not sure what. But let me try again:
  • the senator and the employee have a personal code of ethics, which may be good or bad
  • the senator and the employee are held to an external code of ethics, which may be good or bad, by the person(s) who gave them the job (which is the voters in the case of the senator, and the boss in the case of the employee)
  • the person(s) who gave them the job can fire them for breaching the code of ethics (or not, as the case may be)
But it's an important point that senators don't work for the Governor or President, and the Governor or President cannot fire them.

Upvote 0

DanishLutheran

Dec 22, 2018
Aarhus
✟25,867.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This thread is about an elected official threatening to kill state troopers. What do you think about that?

How, exactly, is it any different from how your "founding fathers" actually dealt with other troopers over a comparatively minor issue?

And admit it: If this had been a democrat saying something along the same lines regarding a republican power grab of the same nature, you'd have been defending him/her/chopperself as "brave", "courageous", etc.

Upvote 0

DanishLutheran

Dec 22, 2018
Aarhus
✟25,867.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Nope, DL, I don't think most Dems would be defending him if he were Dem.

I would like to believe you're right. However, I stopped believing in the tooth fairy as well, at least two and a half decades ago.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
But, as I understand it, the Oregon Constitution doesn't spell out what "compel" means.

Oregon has used State Troopers this way before, but it seems unlikely to me that the original intent was to use deadly force on absent senators. If a senator responded to deadly force in kind, it might well constitute legal self-defence.

To compel is to force someone to do something. It doesn't need to be defined here.

Sending law enforcement to compel someone to appear someplace is going to be legal.

Responding to a law enforcement officer trying to compel your presence somewhere with deadly force is going to be illegal.

Only the senator has threatened deadly force here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the officer compels you to do something and you refuse, then they can arrest you. Like being brought in for questioning. You have to go with them.
They can't arrest you for not agreeing to let them search your vehicle.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like being brought in for questioning. You have to go with them.
No you don't. They have to arrest you first. To arrest you they have to have evidence, probable cause, that you have committed a crime. Not submitting to questioning is not a crime.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No you don't. They have to arrest you first. To arrest you they have to have evidence, probable cause, that you have committed a crime. Not submitting to questioning is not a crime.
I thought that the police could compel people to be brought in for questioning. If that is not true, I simp,y used the wrong example.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0