Orders of Knighthood, Fraternity, Secret Societies etc..

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,537.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I think this thread is interesting, but it seems to me that you've been reserved in your own reactions. Are you contemplating membership in any fraternal organisation, including some that have been suggested? Do you have opinions about them?
I'm interested by all of them in an academic sense. I'm not contemplating joining any of them.

My opinion on them is as follows.

In my experience thus far, there are two types of esoteric societies, usually the two have a fair amount of cross over.

First, most esoteric societies are founded based on explicitly extra-christian ideas. Meaning ideas from outside of the faith. Most such societies have roots in hermeticism specifically. They exist to pass on gnostic/hermetic teachings, often times also mixed with some eastern mysticism, which became popular in the victorian age.

Secondly, many such societies have simply become fashionable social clubs for wealthy old men to sit around and network, or simply get away from the wife for a bit and smoke and play cards with "the boys".

As for the masons specifically... I don't know what I think entirely. I think there deffinetly are esoteric elements with masonic tradition, most of which is probably lost on most of the members today.
Masonic tradition and Mormon tradition are almost identical on numerous points, largely because Joseph Smith was a mason, and he stole much of his inspiration for mormonism from his experiences in the masonic lodge.
In the 18th century Masonry was the home of the ideas of freedom and individual rights, and self government etc. It provided the environment necessary for such ideas to be fostered during a time when they were politically dangerous.
For this reason, most of the american founders were masons, and for some time after the founding of america, american masonic lodges were seen as bastions of republican principles (republican in the original sense, not the modern political party).

Today, the vast majority of masons are just good ole boys in a social club.

I wouldln't join the masons simply because its an area where I'd rather be safe than sorry. Further, I believe in the honor of my word and I am hesitant to take oaths that I might not be able to keep.

For years I have wanted to start, or find a fraternal organization based around the idea of knighthood which re-inforces the code that I believe in and organizes its members to serve a larger purpose.
Originally, my interests lay primarily in politics and in the realm of educating people regarding the true foundations of our society and our government. I still have some interest in that, however, over the last few years my perspective, and motivations have changed somewhat.

I'm less motivated to political involvement, and more motivated towards church involvement. I feel a strong pull towards re-kindling the contemplative, mystical aspects of the faith as well as teaching people the foundations of the faith.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm interested by all of them in an academic sense. I'm not contemplating joining any of them.

Thanks. Your "take" on the situation generally I'd say is sound. Most of these organizations are made up of older men and are in decline. As we know, there was a time when lodges were very important socially and professionally, but the world has changed for most people now and we have many more openings everywhere. Interestingly, some of them have adapted to declining memberships. And why not? The March of Dimes conquered polio but then found a new cause rather than go out of existence, so why not other organizations. The Moose have become family organizations, the Elks have taken up the cause of Veterans, others have become open to women members, and so on. Founding one's own knightly organization and having it actually function would seem even tougher, though, IMO.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,537.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. Your "take" on the situation generally I'd say is sound. Most of these organizations are made up of older men and are in decline. As we know, there was a time when lodges were very important socially and professionally, but the world has changed for most people now and we have many more openings everywhere. Interestingly, some of them have adapted to declining memberships. And why not? The March of Dimes conquered polio but then found a new cause rather than go out of existence, so why not other organizations. The Moose have become family organizations, the Elks have taken up the cause of Veterans, others have become open to women members, and so on. Founding one's own knightly organization and having it actually function would seem even tougher, though, IMO.
In my youth, I was always more interested in grand, save the world, kind of schemes and purposes. As a get older I'm more interested in fostering personal discipline and passing on a specific worldview.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my youth, I was always more interested in grand, save the world, kind of schemes and purposes. As a get older I'm more interested in fostering personal discipline and passing on a specific worldview.

Hmmm. Well, then I wonder what you thought about the suggestion from someone else of joining a religious order? It could be that one of the many Third Orders would do what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,537.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. Well, then I wonder what you thought about the suggestion from someone else of joining a religious order? It could be that one of the many Third Orders would do what you are talking about.

I've been looking around at different orders for a while. As of yet I haven't really found one that really sparked my interest.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been looking around at different orders for a while. As of yet I haven't really found one that really sparked my interest.

You're probably speaking of their values and work, but I also think that a weakness is that these Third Orders normally leave the members pretty much on their own with only an occasional opportunity to get together with others.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,537.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You're probably speaking of their values and work, but I also think that a weakness is that these Third Orders normally leave the members pretty much on their own with only an occasional opportunity to get together with others.
I agree. I got that impression as well

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian

Depends on where you are...in DC they're very active and have lots of resources. Out in the hinterlands...probably a bit more difficult.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Depends on where you are...in DC they're very active and have lots of resources. Out in the hinterlands...probably a bit more difficult.

I am unfamiliar with this. Which Anglican Third Order did you have reference to? Or was it some Ecumenical one?

Upvote 0