Openly Gay, Openly Christian: How the Bible Really Is Gay Friendly

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately this is not a newly held view. It's been around for a few decades at least.

I have read every single argument against the interpretation that homosexuality is a sin. None have convinced me, and I wanted to be convinced. My sole purpose in reading them was to be convinced. The holy spirit wouldn't allow it and I praise the Lord for that. Accepting these teachings is dangerous. They cause some people to go on a path towards damnation. Our sexuality may not be a salvation issue, but hardening our hearts to the holy spirit most certainly is. That is what this teaching encourages in homosexual christians. It's incredibly sad. :(

Upvote 0

Neenie

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
✟2,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Marissa said:
Unfortunately this is not a newly held view. It's been around for a few decades at least.

I have read every single argument against the interpretation that homosexuality is a sin. None have convinced me, and I wanted to be convinced. My sole purpose in reading them was to be convinced. The holy spirit wouldn't allow it and I praise the Lord for that. Accepting these teachings is dangerous. They cause some people to do on a path towards damnation. Our sexuality may not be a salvation issue, but hardening our hearts to the holy spirit most certainly is. That is what this teaching encourages in homosexual christians. It's incredibly sad. :(

I agree, there was a point where I wanted to be convinced as well. But the fact is that God never changes. I believe this is prophesy being fulfilled.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not convinced, either, by all the arguments for biblical approval of homosexuality. It's just not there. Yet, the Scripture twisting, manipulating, over analyzing, and reinterpreting goes on and on today in order for people to continue doing what they want. AFAIC, there's no debate at all on the issue of homosexuality. God has made himself perfectly clear on the subject, yet people ignore Him and change Scripture to accomodate deviancy. Much of the church appears to be falling away from the truth of Scripture. :sigh:

Reactions: Shane Roach
Upvote 0

J.A.I

. Galatians 6:10 .
Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
I agree w/you ALL. I don't understand why people want to MAKE scripture fit them. I mean, I DO understand, but at the same time, if you love Jesus, you will keep His commandments, not CHANGE them...

This is so damaging to the church... when people use scripture to 'allow' their sins... premarital sex, homosexuality, and so on. Is it really so hard to do what God says ? I mean, living the saved life is difficult at times, yes... but we are given those rules to live by (so to speak) because God loves us. Like our parents, they give us rules b/c they want the best for us and don't want to see us hurt. God is the same. Why don't people see that ?

:(

Reactions: Lynn73
Upvote 0

Shane Roach

Mar 13, 2002
✟23,036.00
Faith
Christian
It's comforting to have a place here where people are all of one mind on this issue. So often it seems that the very mention of this issue just provokes long winded, endless argument. It made me hold my breath to see this thread here in the fundie forum, but I am heartened not only that so many express concern about such teachings, but that contrary to what most people like to say about "fundamentalists", there is none of the hyperjudgemental or hateful about anything I have seen in these reactions.

I wonder why so few of those who want to say they are just trying to be loving don't see it as a hurtful thing to do to more or less encourage Christians towards sin. My experience with sin in my life is that it is by no means a comfortable or easy thing to deal with, even if part of it might be because some people told you some things that were false. Ultimately, the Holy Spirit is not going to let you off that easy no matter what. People need support to resist sin, not excuses to help promote it, I feel strongly. I only wish I had known more, strong Christians and had that influence when I was young to have helped me through some hard times and temptations. Even it it wasn't about being gay, all sexual sin has the potential to be SO devestating on so many levels.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eph 4:22-24
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Eph 5:3-11
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them.
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

Reactions: Knight
Upvote 0

LuxPerpetua

I am, therefore I love
Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
✟8,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Shane Roach said:
I wonder why so few of those who want to say they are just trying to be loving don't see it as a hurtful thing to do to more or less encourage Christians towards sin. People need support to resist sin, not excuses to help promote it, I feel strongly. I only wish I had known more, strong Christians and had that influence when I was young to have helped me through some hard times and temptations. Even it it wasn't about being gay, all sexual sin has the potential to be SO devestating on so many levels.

This is soooooo true! I completely agree!

I find it very interesting that the church for the past 1950 years has condemned homosexuality, and yet there has been so much "rethinking" of this moral issue in the last 50 years than ever before!

I have several friends who are gay, I love them and pray for them, but I will not ever agree that that lifestyle is okay with God anymore than I will agree that murder or lying is okay. I don't think that sin itself is any longer a salvation issue (Christ covered that ;) ) but I do think that unrepentant sin is a direct affront to God and may indeed result in a loss of eternal reward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victorian Rose

The Lord is my Strength
Feb 19, 2004
Iowa
✟24,452.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wow! It is so nice to come into a thread with this topic and not find arguing and bashing! I agree with everything that has been said.

I wonder why so few of those who want to say they are just trying to be loving don't see it as a hurtful thing to do to more or less encourage Christians towards sin. My experience with sin in my life is that it is by no means a comfortable or easy thing to deal with, even if part of it might be because some people told you some things that were false. Ultimately, the Holy Spirit is not going to let you off that easy no matter what. People need support to resist sin, not excuses to help promote it, I feel strongly. I only wish I had known more, strong Christians and had that influence when I was young to have helped me through some hard times and temptations. Even it it wasn't about being gay, all sexual sin has the potential to be SO devestating on so many levels.
This is so true! Being an overcomer of sexual sin I would not want someone supporting me in staying in it. I needed support in overcoming it and stepping through to victory. I have learned to rely on God and the Holy Spirit for my support but, it sure is good to hear fundamental believers and be eddified and lifted up by them. Thank you to all my fellow fundys. Most times you don't even know if you have touch a person's life. I am here to say you have. You have touched mine.

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow! It is so nice to come into a thread with this topic and not find arguing and bashing! I agree with everything that has been said.

Yes, isn't it. I usually feel frustrated and sorrowful talking with Christians who seem to have embraced a view that says Scripture supports this thing. I'm glad there are some of us who are in agreement with what the Bible says on the subject. I keep thinking of Isaiah 5:20.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thank God that there were people in my life that would not accept, condone or support my sexual sins and because of them and because of the Holy Spirit convicting me daily, I now live a life of a Christian who strives to do God's will instead of my own. We don't help people when we tell them that their behavior is acceptable to God.
My pastor loves to say that instead of changing their lifestyle to fit the Bible, people try and change the Bible to fit their lifestyles.

Reactions: Kelly
Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
OK, this celibate hetero LOVES all you guys!

I had been watching a show called Starting Over about a house in Chicago where women come to be helped with issues in their lives. It began with real women, but it's gotten to be Jerry Springer instead. 2 of the current women are a 20+ who just had her illigitimate child and doesn't know who the father is, her boyfriend, a one night stand who happens to be black, or her ex-boyfriend. A new housemate joined today who is lesbian. Sorry, I won't be watching for the next month or so. What a shame to make these women think that what they do is OK. The only Christian woman left a few days ago (her goal was to get off welfare). :cry:

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sweetkitty said:
I thank God that there were people in my life that would not accept, condone or support my sexual sins and because of them and because of the Holy Spirit convicting me daily, I now live a life of a Christian who strives to do God's will instead of my own. We don't help people when we tell them that their behavior is acceptable to God.
My pastor loves to say that instead of changing their lifestyle to fit the Bible, people try and change the Bible to fit their lifestyles.
:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LuxPerpetua

I am, therefore I love
Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
✟8,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Sexual sins seem to be very much endorsed in our society these days. I was watching the Biography channel of all things the other day and there was an advice segment about marital relationships that basically said if you don't want to have sex with your spouse just take a dirty magazine into the bathroom :sick:

As if divorce rates, depression rates, and adultery rates weren't high enough already! :sigh: It's so sad that society is feeding this message to people. :(

Upvote 0

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah! A thread where I don't have to exhaust myself aruging the same point over and over, that once you start to try and conform God's Word to the world, you have crossed a line that has no boundry beyond it. Thank you Jai for starting this thread.

Upvote 0

J.A.I

. Galatians 6:10 .
Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
Ceris - To God be the glory :)

But, yes, guys, it's awesome that we can discuss this and not have to worry about other things.. that we're all of like mind, and so on.

I am SO GLAD my friends pointed my sins out when I was messing up (and when I fall short, they still keep me in check). That is love right there. Love corrects because it wants the best for you. What love is NOT is when you see someone on a destructive path and you don't help them.

It's like that commercial.. I think it is an anti-drug commercial. It's the one where it shows the girl watching her friend drown. That's, in essence, what it is. If you condone your friends or ANYONE in a sinful lifestyle, you are watching them drown when you SHOULD be throwing in a life preserver (literally!)

Upvote 0

ChrisB

Jan 28, 2004
✟16,919.00
Faith
Protestant
J.A.I said:
It's like that commercial.. I think it is an anti-drug commercial. It's the one where it shows the girl watching her friend drown. That's, in essence, what it is. If you condone your friends or ANYONE in a sinful lifestyle, you are watching them drown when you SHOULD be throwing in a life preserver (literally!)

I agree wholeheartedly - Ezekiel 3:16-18 tells us we should do exactly that

Ezekiel 3

16 At the end of seven days the word of the LORD came to me: 17 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. 18 When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood.

Upvote 0

Neenie

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
✟2,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
sweetkitty said:

I agree with you,

There was a time when I used the Bible to justify my sexual sin. It started off with me knowing it Is a sin, but the more I tried to justify It, the more I believed It wasn't. It is a very easy trap to fall into. Once you accept something as not a sin, you will easily accept other sins as well. Satan loves to play on peoples "emotions", to make us self-centric. I got easily offended when people called pre-marital sex a sin, I would jump up and down saying It's ok in a loving relationship, because God is love. It wasn't until a couple of months ago, I had some trouble in my life, I was In such a depressed and desperate state. I was crying out to God begging for him to help me, I then instantly felt the holy spirit flow over me, It was such a humbling experience, one I will never forget! While I was repenting and crying, God later placed on my heart that pre-marital sex Is a sin, same as Homosexuality Is a sin, whether It's in a loving relationship or not! Satan's main aim Is to get us to live by our emotions rather than the word of God, and It's happening more and more In this day and age.

Ok I'm sorry to ramble on a bit, I just wanted to give my testimony. And how with God all things are possible :clap:

Upvote 0