The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Out of curiosity, what draws you to roman catholicism? Your prior post mentioned it was more familiar to you - is this a style-of-worship sort of thing, or are the specific beliefs that attract you?

Thanks!
-Macarius

Upvote 0

NyssaTheHobbit

Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)
May 24, 2006
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟9,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Out of curiosity, what draws you to roman catholicism? Your prior post mentioned it was more familiar to you - is this a style-of-worship sort of thing, or are the specific beliefs that attract you?

Thanks!
-Macarius

Mostly, I'm just a very logical, non-mystical type of thinker. I don't think I could wrap my head around Orthodoxy!

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Brief differences

-Married priests in Orthodoxy
-Little kid'lins receive Communion.
-MAAAAANY theological differences.
-No statues, we like icons.
-No real change in worship since the 400's.
-No real change in theology since ever.

Reactions: Orthosdoxa
Upvote 0

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mostly, I'm just a very logical, non-mystical type of thinker. I don't think I could wrap my head around Orthodoxy!
Thats one reason I'm still protestant, among many. But being EO wouldn't compromise my beliefs, but Catholicism would.

I back and recommend Eastern Orthodox. I'm not there right now; I may be in the future, I may not.

I feel a million times better about EO than I do Catholicism.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Orthodox theology is like a spider web: this is related to that is related to this is related to that.

All of which was first said in the first few centuries and only reaffirmed through the ages.

Our beliefs are the same as the Orthodox before us and the Orthodox before them

I think it is best said on icons of St. Alexis Toth "This is the faith of your fathers and your forefathers. Guard it" (or something along those lines).

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Major differences:

1. In Orthodoxy all bishops are equal, thus Papal authority is rejected.

2. Orthodoxy reject certain roman dogmas (teachings). These include:
Papal infallibility/supremacy
The Fillioque.
Merits of the saints/indulgence
Purgatory.
Immaculate Conception
Assumption of the Virgin Mary (as defined by Rome)

Liturgically and sacramentally we differ on many aspects, such as:

Orthodoxy uses leavened bread only and the consecration is made effective thru the epiclesis (invocation)

Baptism is performed by triple immersion immediately followed by chrismation (confirmation) and Communion. RC forbid chrismation and communion to infants (and to mentally ill people who are not aware of the significance of the Eucharist) , Orthodoxy does not have this kind of "age of accountability" or restrictions.

Sacrament of Unction is offered to all, in RC its only reserved for the ill and elderly(last rites).

In Orthodoxy one is grante divorce for certain things and can re-marry up to and only three times. In RC there is something called an "annullment" ,as if the marriage never took place, theoretically infinite number of marriages would be allowed under annullments.

In Orthodoxy Confession is said face to face at which time the priest may (or maynot) offer the prayer of absolution. In RC usually confession is said in a booth, no prayer of absolution is given.

Also differing praxis;

In Orthodoxy there is long and perhaps rigid fasts. There is a 40 day lenten period before Christmas as well, and the Paschal fast is not limited to the 40 day Lenten period.

Orthodoxy emphasizes the mystical thus goal of a christian is theosis.

Icons play a major spiritual and prayerful role in the life of Orthodoxy. Orthodox Icons are considered a part of the Apostolic Traditions of the church, they are a valid source od Orthodox theology. Statues do not, perhaps you may find a rare three dimensional image for ornamental use only but not likely.

the above are some of the differences i can think of off hand. Many others abound

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Orthodoxy does take some getting used to - you'd have to give it some time and absorb the mindset a bit - but the basic teachings can be fairly easily grasped.

It's when you try to fully comprehend those teachings that your brain starts to break - and I don't think that's a bad thing. God is not defined by human logic, and any God I can completely understand is one I suspect of being made up by human beings.

There is a balancing act between respecting the mystery of God's infinitude and the revelations of Christ. It's not loosey-goosey mysticism - there is a real grounding in real teachings - we just try to be honest about that which has not been revealed (for example, the exact way in which the eucharist is the body and blood of Christ), and that allows us to avoid dogmatizing things that really weren't teachings of the early church.

Anyhow, the appeal of scholasticism is certainly a powerful one. We like things that make sense, as human beings.

Thanks for the update! I appreciate it greatly.

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm still trying to figure out the Catholic-Orthodox differences also. So far they seem so close that I don't see why I shouldn't just be Catholic since I'm more used to it?
Differences are far more in essence of faith, understanding God and our position towards Him, then in outwards expression of faith (although there are large differences there to, it just takes one to be Orthodox or RC to notice them). Someone with more knowledge (and less passion about this) will explain better.

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Differences are far more in essence of faith, understanding God and our position towards Him, then in outwards expression of faith (although there are large differences there to, it just takes one to be Orthodox or RC to notice them). Someone with more knowledge (and less passion about this) will explain better.

nestoj
God helps
You've done that already.

Sorry.

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Lel,

Let me admit to you that I am also a very logical, non-mystical type of thinker and I hold several advanced academic degrees in theology and biblical studies from a western-Protestant mindset (Calvinist).

I have spent two years as an inquirer into Orthodoxy and I can tell you that it has been a struggle, but at the same time a very freeing experience.

I am not yet there, but am very close.

forgive me.

Clem

Upvote 0

Katie7725

Jun 6, 2007
✟8,790.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey guys I have another question. I have heard that afterlife beliefs are different in all three religions. Protestants are very black and white, it's either heaven of hell. Catholics have purgatory which I think is a cleansing place. I don't really know much about Orthodox, but I have heard that they believe hell is a state of being where God's love is shameful for the person that rejected him. I might be completely wrong in what I just said but that's sorta what I remember being said. My mom is Jewish (technically making me Jewish) I don't follow the religion but I do know they don't really have a solid belief in the afterlife and they see it as a mystery. I do know they don't believe in hell. If someone could explain the Orthodox afterlife to me I would greatly appreciate it, or give me a link to a website that goes into detail about it. Thank you guys!!!

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In Orthodoxy hell (gehenna fire) is reserved for death itself, and its cronies, from satan and the antichrist to the truly evil, after the second coming.

All who die enter into hades. Jesus told the repentant thief ,"TODAY, you will be with me in paradise. Yet Jesus went to Hades for 3 days. Paradise, place of comfort, third heaven, Abrahams bossom,tartarus are all the same.
Hamartia the greek word for sin means "missing the mark". The more you miss the mark the further you seperate yourself from the Light. And the further you are from the divine Light, the darker it is.

The parable of the rich man and Lazarus is good to study, Luke 16.19-31. Lazarus was carried off to Abraham's(type for God) bossom, meaning he was extremely close to God, so close in fact that it is characterized as being in his bossom. The rich man in hades on the other hand, could see Abraham but from afar. Another words his seperation was great.

The gulf (Lk 16.26) is the amount of seperation between the rich man and God. The rich man is actually not that bad off, he can still see and interact with the Light, other parts of scripture refer to being cast out in outer darkness (Matt8.12) and, "is reserved the blackness of darkness"(2 Pet 2.17)

Upvote 0

Katie7725

Jun 6, 2007
✟8,790.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
ok that clears things up some, I also have another question and its tough for me to talk about it. My dad died when I was young, he was an honest and kind man but he was an atheist. He grew up very poor and he never thought god existed because life was so hard for him. I want to know is completely doomed because of this. He was a really good man that would feed the poor and give to charity because he knew what it felt like to be without anything. Protestants tell me he is in hell forever b/c he did not accept jesus. They don't tell me where in hell, or any details. This has always made me angry towards christians and has been a major roadblock in giving it a shot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As i said in my previous post, hell is not a place for non-believers, its a place for the very evil, the most wicked, regardless of religous affiliation. And will only exist after the second coming.
As of now we all await the final judgment of the second coming

Upvote 0

Katie7725

Jun 6, 2007
✟8,790.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
wow, I had a terrific time at my first Orthodox visit. Everyone was nice, the music was incredible, and the message was full of wisdom. Like half way through it I think I felt the presence of God, I felt this overwhelming sense of peace and happiness inside of me. I have never felt that happy in my life. I just took it in and it did wonders for me, I felt so good all day. I can't wait to go back this coming Sunday!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.