nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have been pm'd by a member who is not a Christian, but who is interested in looking into Orthodoxy. Her name is Katie. My understanding is that non-Christian members can post in these congregational fora if a member starts an [OPEN] thread for them, yes? So here it is, and perhaps Katie might like to join in the here, ask a few questions, or whatnot.

Welcome Katie!

LK

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Forest

Senior Veteran
Jan 3, 2005
In the Forest
✟19,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm still trying to figure out the Catholic-Orthodox differences also. So far they seem so close that I don't see why I shouldn't just be Catholic since I'm more used to it?

I have been looking at this for over a year now, and would say that the theology differences are HUGE, covering almost every topic.

Upvote 0

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm still trying to figure out the Catholic-Orthodox differences also. So far they seem so close that I don't see why I shouldn't just be Catholic since I'm more used to it?
There are differences in some key beliefs. I'm still protestant, but I have looked some into Eastern Orthodox. A member could explain those differences better than I could though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey Katie!

There are many differences, but I'll start with just a few.

When Christ started the Church, there were no hundreds of "denominations" - just the Church, and various schismatic groups, most of which died out. The five Sees (meaning the head bishops who oversaw their flocks) were based in Rome, Jerusalem, Constantinople, Alexandria, and Antioch. In 1054, the bishop at Rome broke away from the other 4 bishops over a dispute of papal authority and the wording of a creed. (more on that later) Since then, Rome has continued to grow further away from us, decreeing as dogma things we do not believe, such as purgatory, Mary as co-redemtrix, and other things.

Our priests are often married, theirs aren't. We commune babies, they don't.

That was a waaaaaaaaay oversimplified, but maybe it opened the door to understanding. I would imagine that this is all a little overwhelming to someone from a nonreligious background.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, to be honest, even from a cursory reading I can tell that I am much more likely to investigate the Roman Catholic church.

I'd like to see how Orthodoxy is practiced though, so I suppose I ought to stop by the Divine Liturgy a time or two?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.