Online donations pour in for waitress who was refused a tip because she's gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Belk, because this went right over your head I will explain. The picture wasn't posted here in context of supporting people who have tattoos, it was posted in support of gay people. It was posted out of context thus my comment.

Unless you think people choose to be gay in the same sense they choose to get a tattoo.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Belk, because this went right over your head I will explain. The picture wasn't posted here in context of supporting people who have tattoos, it was posted in support of gay people. It was posted out of context thus my comment.

Unless you think people choose to be gay in the same sense they choose to get a tattoo.

You might want to reread, because it was posted in support of people with tattoos. :wave:

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Actually, it WAS posted in support of people with tattoos. It was posted in response to this statement:
MachZer0 said:
I would certainly not tip if my server was covered in tattoos and piercings

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Actually, it was posted in response to Mach's comment that he would withhold tipping ("stiff") a waiter/waitress with tatoos. No matter its original purpose, it was posted either to show that tatted people are not all lowlifes, or to show that some people might have tats and you wouldn't even realize it if you only saw them at their jobs.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, it was posted in response to Mach's comment that he would withhold tipping ("stiff") a waiter/waitress with tatoos. No matter its original purpose, it was posted either to show that tatted people are not all lowlifes, or to show that some people might have tats and you wouldn't even realize it if you only saw them at their jobs.
Nobody said they were lowlifes :wave:

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You did not read what I wrote very carefully. I said that when the context demands it, it does clearly connote sex. Not only that, but the specific word, when it does connote sex usually also connotes rape, coersion or some other moral irregularity.

The original Hebrew texts. All translated versions require some interpretation on the part of the translators.

Because modern English translations were translated for publishers who want to sell their books. The biggest bloc of purchasers are the evangelicals who would never touch a translation that did not agree on the more highly quoted prooftexts with the interpretation usually given to the traditional Tyndale, AV and DR translations. I'm not necessarily claiming fraud or cupidity on the part of the translators. It is a defendable translation, and they may believe it is the best, or even the only one. I disagree. It is more natural to see it like the rabbis did, since they were closer in language and culture. In Leviticus 18,the emphasis is on adultery, and possibly rape. In Leviticus 20, the emphasis is on idolatry.

One of the problems with modern exegesis is that they often look at each verse independently and forget the context. They miss that the command is bundled with other similar commands in the two Leviticus verses. Plato is no longer routinely taught, so a reference to his writings is misunderstood.

A coined word in 1 Corinthians 6:9 (arsenokoitai) has never been clearly defined. Although it seems to have been derived from the LXX translation of Leviticus 20:13, even in one of it earliest uses outside the Bible, it could not have referred "homosexual acts" because the perpetrators are male and the victims are female. Ome early copies of King James' and Martin Luther's translations both appear to translate it as self-abuse.

Fair enough :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The note would've been rendered unnecessary. But, ultimately, no the note wouldn't be acceptable in ANY situation, even if it didn't mention tipping.

I forgot to mention, I find you to be consistently and exceedingly kind in these issues.

So thanks!

:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Interestingly, if we stiffed every homosexual server for the tip, it would be a boon to our wounded veterans

And to atheism. Putting on display peoples ignorance, bigotry, and hatred tend to have that effect.

I say, say it loud and say it proud brotha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Anovah and RedDead. I have my beliefs but those beliefs don't give me a right to treat ANYONE like dirt or as less than human. So it bothers me when other Christians think it's okay..

Who here said it was ok...sorry, which Christian here said they thought it was ok to treat anyone like dirt or as less than human?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others