with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They've created an international hero. Good for them! :thumbsup:

(CNN) -- A New Jersey waitress who served in the Marine Corps for over two years told CNN Friday she is now getting tips from all over the world after she says a family refused to tip her because she is gay.

"I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with what your lifestyle and how you live your life," a family member wrote on the receipt for $93.55 at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, New Jersey.

Full story here -->:thumbsup:

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How would this family know their waitress was gay?

A waitress gypped of a tip is not a hero.
What I would like to know is how an event that happened Wednesday evening could be publicized in such a way that she received donations in the mail by Friday

Upvote 0

QueSeraSera

Training Wheels
Oct 7, 2013
In a good place
✟16,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How would this family know their waitress was gay?

A waitress gypped of a tip is not a hero.

They made an assumption based on her appearance I presume .

She said when she introduced herself as Dayna the woman at the table said "I thought you were going to say your name is Dan."

Upvote 0

Vanilla Scripture

Nov 9, 2013
✟1,215.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If she's a fraud, it doesn't matter where the money ends up
I don't know why you quote me so as to expound on your own remarks regarding fraud and this waitress.

This entire story is suspect. The timeline surrounding all these donations coming in from around the world. And the first question as to how anyone would come to presume this waitress was gay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know why you quote me so as to expound on your own remarks regarding fraud and this waitress.

This entire story is suspect. The timeline surrounding all these donations coming in from around the world. And the first question as to how anyone would come to presume this waitress was gay.
It's also strikingly similar to another story that got "no legs"

Upvote 0

PlayWithFire

Nov 2, 2013
✟7,964.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The pity tip.

What is wrong with feeling sympathy/empathy for somebody who has been hurtfully discriminated against?

There have been multiple news stories about this. The waitress in question and the manager who was working at the time have both made statements regarding what happened.

They presumed she was gay because of she her appearance is pretty stereotypical for a gay woman.

There is the question at to how anyone would come to presume the story is false?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

QueSeraSera

Training Wheels
Oct 7, 2013
In a good place
✟16,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We may assume that is the restaurants uniform for wait staff.

Yes you may . But her hairstyle I'm sure had something to do with it as well. And possibly the way she carried herself . She also has sort of a stocky build .

When I saw her on the video ? Its pretty "believable" to me that some people might wonder if she is a lesbian or outright assume she is .

Play With Fire said it . Her look is "stereotypical' for many lesbians .

Upvote 0

QueSeraSera

Training Wheels
Oct 7, 2013
In a good place
✟16,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Well I have many many times . And I think I can safely say I'm in the majority.

I've also run across people that before I get close enough to them or hear them talk I'm not quite sure if they are a male or female .

That even happened to Ellen if you know who she is .

In her HBO comedy special she was taking questions from the audience . A person stood up and she said "yes sir " and the person said I'm a mam . :blush:

Its happens .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.