Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am digesting this. Obey = believe = security ? I understand that there can only be assurance when there is belief. Not believing would mean there is nothing to have assurance in because there is no belief. But, when a man wanders away from The Lord, what has to happen to a man to "come to his senses" as in Luke 15 ? Does a man re-kindle his own belief, or does God woo the man back to Himself as He did the the first time ?

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Really? So Jesus is not explicitly teaching the different kinds of faith? The verses are plain Arcoe. No need for fancy interpretations.

Do you agree with other Calvinists who have posted on these forums that regeneration precedes faith?

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Two types of faith?
I have been told many times on these forums that man is totally depraved and cannot understand God...that regeneration is required before belief.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Does a man re-kindle his own belief, or does God woo the man back to Himself as He did the the first time ?

I suggest both.

Read the whole chapter of Luke 15 if you have time. Two parables of the lost being searched for (a sheep and a coin) and then the prodigal son who comes to his senses. I would say that is synergism.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Genesis 6 let's us know God also wills to destroy sinners.

Also it is true God Desires all men to be saved in accordance with the Gospel message ! There is no desire in God for sinners to be saved any other way

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 6 let's us know God also wills to destroy sinners.

Also it is true God Desires all men to be saved in accordance with the Gospel message ! There is no desire in God for sinners to be saved any other way

Agreed.

Upvote 0

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suggest both.

Read the whole chapter of Luke 15 if you have time. Two parables of the lost being searched for (a sheep and a coin) and then the prodigal son who comes to his senses. I would say that is synergism.
Why not celebrate the finding ?

Can you lose it permanently maybe ought to be the OP ?

Coin found. Sheep found. Man found. Lost, then found.

I can see how you would label that as synergism AFTER a man is already saved, then he is lost, then finally he comes back to The Lord. Please realize I say this not to be incidendiary, but nothing has been lost in Luke 15 with any permanency, definitely salvation was not lost. This passage does illustrate losing something, but ultimately by God's grace and God's granting of the saint's perseverance, salvation was not lost.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
and then the prodigal son who comes to his senses. I would say that is synergism.

Co-causing yourself to come to your senses? Really????

Better:

Coming to senses (God's work--parallel to regeneration)
Coming home in repentance (son's response to grace)

Or a Chuck Wesley writes.

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;

My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Co-causing yourself to come to your senses? Really????

Better:

Coming to senses (God's work--parallel to regeneration)
Coming home in repentance (son's response to grace)

Or a Chuck Wesley writes.

I'm not sure where you are going with this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I am disagreeing with your assessment that coming to one's senses is synergism? Ever worked with alcoholics?

I haven't worked with alcoholics, but I do know someone who is an alcoholic.

I didn't say coming to one's senses is synergism - rather that God looking for the lost sheep/coin and man coming to his senses is synergism. I could be wrong, but this what I thought when I read Luke 15.

Upvote 0

jasonsloss

Christian
Jan 5, 2013
California
✟8,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

'nominal' faith for everyones information is a man made term to define a non-saving faith or one who only has a head knowledge of the Gospel... it is not the faith with which one belives with unto salvation...

Upvote 0

jasonsloss

Christian
Jan 5, 2013
California
✟8,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Losing one's salvation would be a sad thing...why isn't that possible? These scriptures and others can certainly be interpreted to mean as much.

your right that if one could lose their salvation it would be terriblely sad... my question to you is why would you want that possible???

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't say coming to one's senses is synergism - rather that God looking for the lost sheep/coin and man coming to his senses is synergism. I could be wrong, but this what I thought when I read Luke 15.

In the part about the lost son, The Father does not go looking, he waits at home. I am saying that the son coming to his senses was due to the enlightenment of the Spirit.

"I once was blind, but now I see."

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
'nominal' faith for everyones information is a man made term to define a non-saving faith or one who only has a head knowledge of the Gospel... it is not the faith with which one belives with unto salvation...

Nothing in Luke 8:13 suggest what you say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
your right that if one could lose their salvation it would be terriblely sad... my question to you is why would you want that possible???

I am not wanting it to be possible; it is in scripture and makes logical sense.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In the part about the lost son, The Father does not go looking, he waits at home. I am saying that the son coming to his senses was due to the enlightenment of the Spirit.

"I once was blind, but now I see."

True, but if you consider all three parables together...

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
True, but if you consider all three parables together...

The context was the Pharisees' complaining about Jesus acceptance of undesirables. The three parables underscore that Heaven rejoices when the lost is found.

The Pharisees are the elder brother of the Lost Son parable. They refuse to celebrate the return of the Son.

This is why the parable was spoken. The three are a unit that builds up to praise in each--except for the older brother. The Pharisees are exposed by the parable.

Cool, huh?

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Tax collectors and sinners were his audience too. Jesus is responding to criticism from the Pharisees that He welcomes sinners and eats with them. I would say tat Jesus' parables are directed to both groups.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tax collectors and sinners were his audience too. Jesus is responding to criticism from the Pharisees that He welcomes sinners and eats with them. I would say tat Jesus' parables are directed to both groups.

The Pharisees are the focus.

Upvote 0