Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He was speaking to a panel of Bishops and to the High Priest.
Legally, I don't know the context. Is that the correct context
for your sermon?

James 1:26
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

He was responding to authority and flatly said they must obey God and not them. Do you think Peters' heart was deceived that he did not bridle his tongue when authority told him to do wrong?

You keep arguing that local laws must be obeyed in all kinds of things...even disobeying Christ's command to spread the Gospel.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am Pro-Life because of science telling that life starts at conception.

I could use the Didache and the Fathers writings on abortion but you guys might ignore it because "it is not the Bible".
Not at all. Christian history does inform us on held moral standards. Early Christians viewed abortion as murder.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was responding to authority and flatly said they must obey God and not them. Do you think Peters' heart was deceived that he did not bridle his tongue when authority told him to do wrong?

I do think they were ignoring clear instruction from God, yes.
If they were all 12 Jesus, likely the letters to the churches would
have been more supportive.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Long ago on the forums, a good man told me, sometimes people will not hear the reason in your argument. Make your argument for those who read an do not comment and don't let the other argument be unopposed. This is key on the internet. Because people will see the rightness of the correct argument.

I trust after all these circles many see the error in interpretation that has been put forth to support abortion. And that we should look at what is needed to justify the practice.

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Long ago on the forums, a good man told me, sometimes people will not hear the reason in your argument. Make your argument for those who read an do not comment and don't let the other argument be unopposed. This is key on the internet. Because people will see the rightness of the correct argument.

I trust after all these circles many see the error in interpretation that has been put forth to support abortion. And that we should look at what is needed to justify the practice.

I support local law as scripture requires of me.

Romans 13:1-7
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you also Pro-evolution because science states that this is how man is formed?.........Or Pro-old earth, because science has judged it to be billions of years old?

Or should we only accredit science when we believe it will help our argument?
Procreation is observable...so I’m told. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I support local law as scripture requires of me.

Romans 13:1-7
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Again know your languages: uJperecouvsai

The connotation of just morally superlative rulers. Not evil ones.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He claimed he was not. I go by His evaluation over yours.
John the Baptist, Jesus and His apostles stood in opposition to the local authorities on numerous occasions. Not to mention breaking their traditional laws.

Paul harbored a run away slave which was punishable by death by Roman Law. Paul was beheaded for opposing the emperor.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John the Baptist, Jesus and His apostles stood in opposition to the local authorities on numerous occasions. Not to mention breaking their traditional laws.

Paul harbored a run away salve which was punishable by death by Roman Law. Paul was beheaded for opposing the emperor.
A great example. God was with him either way though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If you can point to evil rulers being ignored.......it seems important enough to have published? I've been goading people to find this reference for me. Nothing so far.

I've been earnestly looking with no success.
What Does the Bible Say About Government?

ANYTHING about God over government?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If you can point to evil rulers being ignored.......it seems important enough to have published? I've been goading people to find this reference for me. Nothing so far.

I've been earnestly looking with no success.
What Does the Bible Say About Government?

ANYTHING about god over government?

You mean aside from the early Christians disobeying multiple Roman Emperors. And Peter saying we should obey God and not man. And St. Stephen being executed for opposing the local law.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Or Daniel waiting until an unjust law was signed then opening his windows and publically defying it. And being thrown to the Lions? The three in the fiery furnace also disobeying the same law.

God wants us to follow Him. He will use disobedience to unjust law to show His power. We are not to blindly follow it. Scriptures show that.

• Winner
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Skilled in English - search skills - teams of translators

exousia: power to act, authority
Original Word: ἐξουσία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: exousia
Phonetic Spelling: (ex-oo-see'-ah)
Definition: power to act, authority
Usage: (a) power, authority, weight, especially: moral authority, influence, (b) in a quasi-personal sense, derived from later Judaism, of a spiritual power, and hence of an earthly power.

Romans 13:1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which is from God. The authorities that exist have been appointed by God.

ejxousiva from (1832) (in the sense of ability)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Exousia 2:562,238
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
ex-oo-see'-ah Noun Feminine
Definition
  1. power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases
    1. leave or permission
  2. physical and mental power
    1. the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises
  3. the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege)
  4. the power of rule or government (the power of him whose will and commands must be submitted to by others and obeyed)
    1. universally
      1. authority over mankind
    2. specifically
      1. the power of judicial decisions
      2. of authority to manage domestic affairs
    3. metonymically
      1. a thing subject to authority or rule 4c
    4. jurisdiction
      1. one who possesses authority 4c
    5. a ruler, a human magistrate 4c
    6. the leading and more powerful among created beings superior to man, spiritual potentates
    7. a sign of the husband's authority over his wife
      1. the veil with which propriety required a women to cover herself
    8. the sign of regal authority, a crown

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

That the word used for higher or governing powers and authorities is with Paul and Peter...one that means morally good, just, and superior, not just blanket in charge. That is what it means in English. In essence, your view of what they were saying is wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.