Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I mean -- the VERY PHRASE "Old Testament" --

2Co 3:14 NKJV

But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.

2Co 3:14 KJV

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

of the old

g3820

παλαιός
palaios
Pronounce Greek root for G3820 παλαιός

testament

g1242

διαθήκη
diathēkē

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We tend to think of 'the New Testament' as a written collection of 4 gospels, Acts, Revelation, and a bunch of epistles.
But the TESTAMENTs - the COVENANTs - pre-dated the finished writings...

Mat 26:28

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
COVENANT and TESTAMENT seem, at times, to be interchangable; yet I think there might be subtle differences.

Mat 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mar 14:24
And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Luk 22:20
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1Co 11:25
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

2Co 3:6
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2Co 3:14
But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

Heb 7:22
By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

Heb 9:15

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Heb 9:16
For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

Heb 9:17
For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Heb 9:18
Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.

Heb 9:20
Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.

Rev 11:19
And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rev 11:19
And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Our translations sometimes are misleading -- Greek seismos literally means "a great shaking" -- for an EARTHQUAKE IN HEAVEN sounds bizarre...

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,479,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heb 8:13
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

READY to vanish away... at the time Hebrews was written...

The old covenant was "still in play" as long as the temple existed.

When the temple and its altar were destroyed, there was no longer any way to atone for sins under the old covenant.

From 70AD, only the blood of Jesus remained for the atonement of sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, Old Covenant "still in play" til Temple Destruction...

Going all the way back to Jesus speaking to Samaritan woman at the well, the "hour coming and now is" that worship at a particular Temple would yield to "worship in Spirit and in Truth"

When the veil was rent at Crucifixion, we had the Temple still functioning -- early believers at Solomon's Porch -- in a way I would think that sacrifices at Temple were no longer valid, and yet -- we have Paul shaving his head and taking a vow at Temple with other men; I have always wondered about that

I don't really know how long "this generation" was to last, but it seems 70 AD ended so much...

the old covenant was READY to vanish away during the time when much of NT was written
I guess it did indeed VANISH AWAY for good at 70 AD

but we have statements in Romans about 'all Israel will be saved" - 'natural olive branches being grafted back in" - I can't see animal sacrifices and a third Temple being built, but if God wants that; God is sovereign

Is Jerusalem still 'trodden down' by the Gentiles? We have muslims walking around at Dome of the Rock to this day -- I don't know that the TIMES OF THE GENTILES have been fulfilled

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums