Old Testament Diet - Was God being a Bully?

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hebrews 8:6-10 says all of the Ten Commandments are Jesus' Commandments
James 2 does not limit itself to "Love others as Jesus loved you"
Rom 13 does not limit itself to that
Eph 6:2 does not limit itself to that.
Matt 5 - Jesus said not to teach others that Jesus was downsizing scripture-
Jer 31:31-33 the New Covenant says that God writes the moral law of God - the Commandments of God - on the heart and mind. The Law of God as known to Jeremiah and his readers.

What is the purpose of the 10 commandments?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
"Love Me and KEEP My Commandments" Exodus 20:6
"If you Love Me KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19

Heb 8:6-10 says that the Ten Commandments given at Sinai - are given by Jesus - Jesus' commandments.

So then what does Jesus say His mission was??

Matt 5:17-19
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I recall the next part of the passage. It talks about those who aren't even in the kingdom because they fail to surpass the righteousness of the pharisees.

So as the parable instructs, I will humbly select the lowest seat for myself and if God deems me worthy .. he will call me up.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Samuel informs king Saul that "to obey is better than to sacrifice" - Saul thought a praise and worship service might misdirect God into missing the fact that something of His command had not been kept.

In Matt 7 Christ said "not everyone who merely says 'Lord Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven - but rather he who does the will of the Father"

As Christians who accept the Word of God the way Paul tells Timothy to accept it in 2Tim 3:16-17 "All scripture given by inspiration from God AND to be used for doctrine, correction, instruction" -- well we will ALL have to struggle with such texts as they almost never say to us 'relax...go back to sleep...everything is just fine.. no real instruction for you here'.

Thank God "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever"! Reliable. Trustworthy.

QUOTE="BobRyan, post: 68527247, member: 235244"]
"WE have had the Gospel preached to US just as THEY have also" Heb 4:2 speaking of OT saints.
"The Gospel was preached to Abraham" Gal 3:7
"There is only ONE Gospel" Gal 3:6-9.
"Abraham saw My day and was glad" John 8.
"they all drank from the same spiritual Rock and that Rock was Christ" 1Cor 10
"I do not change says the LORD" Malachi 3.
"Think NOT that I came to abolish the Law or the prophets" Matt 5.

New Covenant.
"I will write My LAW on their mind and heart" Jer 31:31-33, Heb 8:6-10[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Heb 13 Thank God "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever"! Reliable. Trustworthy

Yes, Jesus Christ is the same Yesterday, Today, and Forever, this was written after his resurrection. context, context.

This was written after the resurrection of Christ about the Jews in Moses' day --"4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." 1 Cor 10:4

The point remains

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This is what I follow in keeping my diet "biblical": "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything." (Genesis 9:3) "And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.” (Acts 10:13-15) "it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” (Matthew 15:11) "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31) For the diets of others: "As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand." (Romans 14:1-4)

You should actually read the scriptures to learn, and not pick and choose to support what you want to do. Peter's vision had nothing to do with food. Your next quote is about going beyond clean to vegetarian or vegan and looking down on those who only follow the law. Read Isaiah 65-66 and see what it says about those who eat swine's flesh.

"But I'm free. I have the 'right' to do as I want". No, you have no rights as a Christian.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Luke 17:7-10
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Matthew 7:22-23
22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

LAWLESSNESS = Not following Torah, the Old Testament laws.
Many Christians will hear this, as those who love him keep his commandments, not look for reasons to break them.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,942.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...bacon-sandwich-what-you-can-and-cant-eat.html

“Processed meats, including bacon, sausages, parma ham, ham and salami, have a very high salt content and the act of processing itself is associated with an increase of heart disease, bowel cancer and stroke,” says Dr Michael Mosley. “One esteemed scientist I know called Dr David Spiegelhalter told me that if you crunch the numbers, every bacon sandwich you eat knocks half an hour off your life.”

Upvote 0