United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if the earth is flat?

How can we date rocks if the geological theory has its foundations in cosmology?

If the earth is the centre and not the sun, all dating goes out the window.

That doesn't change any dating methods used.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no such map.
970px-North_america_terrain_2003_map.jpg

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good questions. I suspect that 6,000 years is not the exact number, but then again, how could a man named Lazarus be raised from the dead by simply being called out of the tomb by Jesus. I think going around always assuming only naturalistic assumptions based upon present conditions has a tendency to distort what truly happened in the beginning. I tend to go with what God's word says.

Kinda old then?

Habakkuk 3:6 He stood, and shook the earth; he looked, and made Yes, the perpetual mountains were shattered, The ancient hills collapsed. ... The
age-old mountains break apart; the ancient hills sink down. ...

Genesis 49:26 Your father's blessings are greater than the blessings of the oldest
mountains and the riches of the ancient hills.

Deuteronomy 33:15 with the choicest gifts of the ancient mountains
... the finest fruits from the oldest mountains, the best from the ancient hills, .... ...

Psalm 76:4 You are more majestic than the ancient mountains.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That doesn't change any dating methods used.

Man I must have missed this post. I'm not sure I even understand it. Maybe I just mentally blocked it out before lol.

Upvote 0

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kinda old then?

Habakkuk 3:6 He stood, and shook the earth; he looked, and made Yes, the perpetual mountains were shattered, The ancient hills collapsed. ... The
age-old mountains break apart; the ancient hills sink down. ...

Genesis 49:26 Your father's blessings are greater than the blessings of the oldest
mountains and the riches of the ancient hills.

Deuteronomy 33:15 with the choicest gifts of the ancient mountains
... the finest fruits from the oldest mountains, the best from the ancient hills, .... ...

Psalm 76:4 You are more majestic than the ancient mountains.
Thousands of years is kind of old and fits within the scope of what "ancient" may imply. Rather than me speculating exactly how many years ancient may mean, I tend to go by what the Bible actually says and it says creation occurred in the span of a week (no not just in Genesis, but also as a commandment in Exodus 20:8-11), as well as the events of creation being affirmed by Jesus as well as OT and NT writers. There is no concrete evidence in God's word supporting the kinds of ages scientists assert today. By contrast, everything from creation to the lineage given from Adam to Jesus all leans towards a much younger universe than the ~14B suggested otherwise.

• Winner
Reactions: BroRoyVa79
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Confusing miracles with the way God uses nature is a serious error. Assuming non-scriptural miracles to cover up unBiblical doctrinal assumptions like a young Earth is never a good practice.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Looks like I lost some images. I'm going to attempt to re-post:

I figured I would make a thread on the geology of New York, to see what Young Earth Creationists might think.

The discussion begins with the diagram below.

images (3).jpeg

diagram - Google Search

Genesee Group (NYDg;4)
Sonyea Group (NYDs;5)
Angola and Rhinestreet Shales (NYDwf;4)
Machias Formation (NYDcy;4)

At the base, limestone. Limestone largely consisting of microscopic carbonaceous shells. Derived from deep sea shelled organisms. These are rocks formed at great depths.

Dark carbonaceous shales (identified in the figure as black shale facies) are rich in organics. Formed in anoxic environments without oxygen for decomposition. With higher amounts of organic material, shales take on a dark black color. With less oxygen, oxygen poor environments yield precipitation of sulfide minerals.

These dark shales form in an environment also of a deep sea, but with influence from nearby deposition of sediment.

Above the black shale facies are mudstone-sandstone facies. Shales again, but with higher oxygen content. Shallow waters allow for circulation of oxygen forming minerals like hematite (FeO2) and Magnetite (FeO3). The rocks take on a lighter hue. Sandstones, formed in shallow marine and terrestrial environments (much like the sandy beaches of today).

These are the rocks of shallow marine and a terrestrial beach like environment.

Above these rocks still, the Catskill Devonian red beds. Highly oxidated. Lithologies found in fining upward sequences with turbidites, sorted by density, with conglomerates (rocks formed in tumbling depositional environments).
-----------------------------------------------------
Collectively, we have 5 groups of rock, each group having the sequence of rocks above.

Beyond that further, atop the Devonian shale is glacial till (unsorted, not deposited by water), glacial moraines, drop stones, glacial striations, lakes in a north to south direction (carved by glaciers moving in a north to south direction)

These are traits of Pleistocene ice ages.
Google Image Result for https://image2.slideserve.com/5362245/glacial-till-l.jpg
glacial till at the toe - Google Search

Glacial striations in Central Park

Google Image Result for http://brooklyncollegegeology.com/geoofny/images/grooves.jpg

striations ny - Google Search

Google Image Result for http://goodnewsplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/fingerlakes.png
unnamed (1).jpg

aerial-finger-lakes_orig.jpg

glacial-till-l.jpg

New York's Finger Lakes: Driving In Style - GoNOMAD Travel
--------------------------------------------------------------
Uniformitarianism has a simple explanation. The Acadian Orogeny.

As continental crust advances from the ocean in a western direction into what was then central america, mountain ranges are eroding, depositing sediment. Deltas form along the mountain range. Sea level rises, deeper waters give rise to anoxic carbonaceous shales. Sea level drops, the sea becomes aerated, more oxidized minerals form, rocks change color and chemistry.

Fast forward to the pleistocene epoch, ice comes down from the north, carves the great lakes and finger lakes, then deposits unsorted glacial till as it melts away.

And the fossils match. No dinosaurs in NY as the rocks are twice as old as the earliest dinosaurs. No mammals, no birds. Tetrapods are present (as predicted, tetrapods are of the devonian period). No bunny rabbits. Just devonian tetrapods and fish.
--------------------------------------------------------------
How could such a complex geology ever be explained as something to have formed within 6000 years?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thousands of years is kind of old and fits within the scope of what "ancient" may imply. Rather than me speculating exactly how many years ancient may mean, I tend to go by what the Bible actually says and it says creation occurred in the span of a week (no not just in Genesis, but also as a commandment in Exodus 20:8-11), as well as the events of creation being affirmed by Jesus as well as OT and NT writers. There is no concrete evidence in God's word supporting the kinds of ages scientists assert today. By contrast, everything from creation to the lineage given from Adam to Jesus all leans towards a much younger universe than the ~14B suggested otherwise.
The genealogy from Adam to Jesus may not be a literal 'son of' in the sense that we understand it. There may be giant jumps between generations.

The Genesis account is a simple account written for a simple and ancient people. There is truth in Genesis but we must avoid being over literal, in the way that we understand the early Genesis account.

A soft touch is required when reading those early chapters in Genesis. A week of creation is more than enough to grasp for people of a thousand generations. Seriously folks, God could not have revealed an explanation of Genesis with the Big Bang included. A revelation of an expanding universe, continental drift, dinosaurs, e.t.c.

Genesis was written to serve a purpose for a very simple audience.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi komatite,

Just curious if you could also post a diagram showing how the surface and underlying foundation thereof, looked on the day the earth came to be in existence?

God bless you,
In Christ, ted
You don't ask for much! A screenshot of Creation!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A soft touch is required when reading those early chapters in Genesis. A week of creation is more than enough to grasp for people of a thousand generations. Seriously folks, God could not have revealed an explanation of Genesis with the Big Bang included. A revelation of an expanding universe, continental drift, dinosaurs, e.t.c.

Genesis was written to serve a purpose for a very simple audience.

Today's winner

Upvote 0