Officer shoots, kills armed security guard outside south suburban bar

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Officer shoots, kills armed security guard outside south suburban bar
Witnesses said a Midlothian police officer responding to a shooting inside a south suburban bar shot at the wrong person early Sunday morning.

After security asked a group of drunken men to leave Manny's Blue Room Bar around 4 a.m. Sunday, witnesses said someone came back with a gun and opened fire. Security returned fire, and according to witnesses, 26-year-old armed security guard Jemel Roberson apprehended one of the men involved outside.

"He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, 'Don’t move,'" witness Adam Harris said.

Soon after, witnesses said, an officer responding to the scene fired at Roberson — killing him.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shoot ask questions later! :(
that comes with the risk of incarceration and trust me literally if you are a police officer death may be better because incarcerated you will always be a target ( unless you check-in ( go to protective custody). This could mean anything from nothing all the way to being treated as if you broke a prison rule no canteen, no contact visits (Even if the mainline gets them). No phone use ( other than to your lawyer just like you had broken a rule.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If only the security guard had a second weapon.
'
Upon the arrival of the police all "good guys with guns" should put their guns on the ground as the police cannot tell the good guys from the bad in that situation.

Armed security personnel should have some means of identifying themselves as such to the police. It's 2018 for heaven's sake. Isn't there an 'app' for that.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'
Upon the arrival of the police all "good guys with guns" should put their guns on the ground as the police cannot tell the good guys from the bad in that situation.

Armed security personnel should have some means of identifying themselves as such to the police. It's 2018 for heaven's sake. Isn't there an 'app' for that. (emph. added)
you mean like wearing a vest that says "security" on it? Or a bunch of people yelling "He's security!" when the officer rolls up?
Security guard killed by police in Robbins bar wanted to be a cop, friends say
:scratch:
tulc(that type of thing?) :wave:

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Armed security personnel should have some means of identifying themselves as such to the police.
Yes, they should but the police have to wait long enough to find out who they are.
This reminds me of earlier this year when they shoot a homeowner, he was 70/80 yrs. old, who had called 911 and the Australian woman who had called 911.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Come on, he was basically going into a combat roll and pulling the pin of a grenade on that police officer.
maybe people should start wearing vests with "perp" or "belligerent drunk" or "shooting suspect"? You know, just to help the police officers know who is who in a situation. :wave:
tulc(was thinking of getting one with "helpful civilian" on it but those seem to be the first people shot by the police) :eek:

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
'

Armed security personnel should have some means of identifying themselves as such to the police. It's 2018 for heaven's sake. Isn't there an 'app' for that.

So put your gun on the ground, get out your phone and activate the "I'm a good guy with a gun" app. Cop arrives and upon seeing the phone in your hand shoots you anyway :p

• Haha
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
What was clearly needed in this situation was a third good guy with a gun.

Indeed. More people who are armed, protecting people who are armed from police who are armed to subdue criminals who are armed.

On second thoughts, I'm not sure there's enough guns for this scenario to work.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
you mean like wearing a vest that says "security" on it? Or a bunch of people yelling "He's security!" when the officer rolls up?
Security guard killed by police in Robbins bar wanted to be a cop, friends say
:scratch:
tulc(that type of thing?) :wave:

I was thinking more in terms of response at the appearance of the police, such as disengaging from any interaction with a suspected perp, unloading and ditching any firearm, laying face down with hands behind head. The police are there to 'take over', so let them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. More people who are armed, protecting people who are armed from police who are armed to subdue criminals who are armed.

On second thoughts, I'm not sure there's enough guns for this scenario to work.

You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. ;)

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
We need to hold off until at least the facts are known. History in several cases indicates that there is a tendency for people to act out and then find out later that they were wrong because they failed to get the facts before they jumped to the conclusion that the police acted improperly.
Ah yes, the obligatory call for more facts. Was waiting for when that one would come up.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ah yes, the obligatory call for more facts. Was waiting for when that one would come up.

Yeah...I mean, if we can't jump to conclusions in every police shooting...then why even report them in the news?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah...I mean, if we can't jump to conclusions in every police shooting...then why even report them in the news?
Strangely I have never seen anyone who calls for facts rejoin a thread after a few weeks or months, when everything is known, to finally debate the act with all facts at hand.

It's almost like the call for facts is a debate tactic to stall a discussion until it is forgotten.

Upvote 0