Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Two masked assailants opened fire in a Catholic church in Istanbul during Mass on Sunday morning, reportedly killing one person during the consecration.

Bishop Massimiliano Palinuro, the apostolic vicar of Istanbul, told EWTN News on Jan. 28 that a man was killed “during the consecration” in the attack in Santa Maria Church in Istanbul’s Sariyer district.

Turkish Minister of the Interior Ali Yerlikaya has confirmed that the attack occurred around 11:40 a.m. local time and that “a full-scale investigation” has been launched as authorities work to apprehend the assailants.

The minister said that a man, referred to only as C.T., was "the target of a gun attack and lost his life."

Video footage of the attack obtained by EWTN News shows two armed men dressed in black following a man with white hair into the church and shooting him in the back of the head. Parishioners hid under the pews after the man was shot. It is not clear from the video if the assailants continued to fire shots as they aimed their weapons in several different directions in the church before quickly exiting.

“We strongly condemn this vile attack,” Yerlikaya said.

Continued below.

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟251,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks for the information @Michie

I read in one of the stories about this incident on the net, that the victim was not Catholic yet, and had not been baptized.

I am venturing a guess, that they were preparing to be received this upcoming Easter vigil.

Perhaps he was killed for leaving Islam?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the information @Michie

I read in one of the stories about this incident on the net, that the victim was not Catholic yet, and had not been baptized.

I am venturing a guess, that they were preparing to be received this upcoming Easter vigil.

Perhaps he was killed for leaving Islam?
I never thought of that. I suppose anything is a possibility with people willing to go to such extremes.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟251,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you @Michie for this follow up article that informs us that the victim was indeed a Muslim, however, he was going to mass and accepted Jesus as savior!!

Had he already been baptized then, and was he receiving Holy Communion?

He was killed because he was at mass worshiping Christ the savior of the world.

What would qualify him as a martyr in the church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you @Michie for this follow up article that informs us that the victim was indeed a Muslim, however, he was going to mass and accepted Jesus as savior!!

Had he already been baptized then, and was he receiving Holy Communion?

He was killed because he was at mass worshiping Christ the savior of the world.

What would qualify him as a martyr in the church?
I don’t know if he had been baptized but I think if he was on the road to conversion that baptism by desire would come into play here. I do think it would qualify him as a martyr as well. :praying:

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don’t know if he had been baptized but I think if he was on the road to conversion that baptism by desire would come into play here. I do think it would qualify him as a martyr as well. :praying:
May his soul dwell with the blessed :prayer:

Upvote 0