Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Strangely I have never seen anyone who calls for facts rejoin a thread after a few weeks or months, when everything is known, to finally debate the act with all facts at hand.

It's almost like the call for facts is a debate tactic to stall a discussion until it is forgotten.
This will not likely be the last thread on this subject,so just follow them

• Optimistic
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We need to hold off until at least the facts are known. History in several cases indicates that there is a tendency for people to act out and then find out later that they were wrong because they failed to get the facts before they jumped to the conclusion that the police acted improperly.

Wait... Are we talking about cops who shoot too quickly without verifying the identity of their targets or people who condemn cops who shoot too quickly without verifying the identity of their targets?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wait... Are we talking about cops who shoot too quickly without verifying the identity of their targets or people who condemn cops who shoot too quickly without verifying the identity of their targets?
Excuse me sir may I see your identification and could we get to know each other, oh there is no problem sir I am responding to a report of a shooting and you have a gun pointed at someone. I just need to verify your identity and figure out if you are a law abiding citizen before I make that instantaneous decision of what to do before you have a chance to pull that trigger.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Strangely I have never seen anyone who calls for facts rejoin a thread after a few weeks or months, when everything is known, to finally debate the act with all facts at hand.

It's almost like the call for facts is a debate tactic to stall a discussion until it is forgotten.

You know it's a debate tactic when what is presented is either common knowledge or common sense.

Supporting facts, once presented, are often ignored, or countered with a different set of facts.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,588.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You know it's a debate tactic when what is presented is either common knowledge or common sense.

Supporting facts, once presented, are often ignored, or countered with a different set of facts.
I think the word you are looking for is alternative.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Excuse me sir may I see your identification and could we get to know each other, oh there is no problem sir I am responding to a report of a shooting and you have a gun pointed at someone. I just need to verify your identity and figure out if you are a law abiding citizen before I make that instantaneous decision of what to do before you have a chance to pull that trigger.

This particular officer was responding in assistance of another department, at a venue that would conceivably have its own security, where undercover/off-duty officers could be in the area, and in a state where citizens are allowed to carry weapons. There are a number of situations in which the person with the gun could be a good guy who arrived before he did. So yes, I think a little caution is warranted. Unless you just want lazy, trigger-happy cops running around.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
This particular officer was responding in assistance of another department, at a venue that would conceivably have its own security, where undercover/off-duty officers could be in the area, and in a state where citizens are allowed to carry weapons. There are a number of situations in which the person with the gun could be a good guy who arrived before he did. So yes, I think a little caution is warranted. Unless you just want lazy, trigger-happy cops running around.

People have asked me before if I think it's fair that a police officer has to take time to try to assess the situation, potentially putting their lives in danger. I say yes. I know it's harsh, but yes. If you cannot handle doing that, you should not be a police officer.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
People have asked me before if I think it's fair that a police officer has to take time to try to assess the situation, potentially putting their lives in danger. I say yes. I know it's harsh, but yes. If you cannot handle doing that, you should not be a police officer.

Exactly. The rules of engagement for officers are lower here than they are for our soldiers deployed in war zones.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what may have happened? Officer rolls up, sees one guy kneeling with his gun pointing at another guy, the guy kneeling sees the officer and starts to back away from the situation, raises his gun to take it off the guy he's on, officer sees a gun in motion, shoots, like I suspect he's been trained to do, and now a good man's dead and an officer is responsible for killing him. :sigh:
tulc(just a thought) :(

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,588.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
what may have happened? Officer rolls up, sees one guy kneeling with his gun pointing at another guy, the guy kneeling sees the officer and starts to back away from the situation, raises his gun to take it off the guy he's on, officer sees a gun in motion, shoots, like I suspect he's been trained to do, and now a good man's dead and an officer is responsible for killing him. :sigh:
tulc(just a thought) :(
Who had the bright idea of training policemen to shoot to kill, anyway?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They are trained to shoot to stop, centre mass, which in the real world is shoot to kill. You shoot someone in the extremities you are more likely to miss or fail to stop them.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's needed is more knowing when then how. If they start shooting they really should shoot to kill, the problem is most police have only been given training in using a "hammer" (guns) and if your only tool is a hammer? then every problem they face starts to look like a "nail". What's needed is more training in when not to use their gun. :sigh:
tulc(US Police have killed 841 people so far in 2018 https://www.washingtonpost.com/ )

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They are trained to shoot to stop, centre mass, which in the real world is shoot to kill. You shoot someone in the extremities you are more likely to miss or fail to stop them.

I suggest a SUPER, "super soaker" loaded with pepper spray capable of long distance accuracy.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We need to hold off until at least the facts are known. History in several cases indicates that there is a tendency for people to act out and then find out later that they were wrong because they failed to get the facts before they jumped to the conclusion that the police acted improperly.
Indeed the black security guard who wasn't shooting, had collared the perp and that people were yelling he was security had to have done something to force the officer to shoot him to death.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh come now. Your facts are going to destroy the Officer Friendly doing a traffic stop of a white stock broker in a new Mercedes narrative. No reason to contradict that with, "Hands up {bleeeeeeeeep}" {Pow!}.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

That's a fair point. On a similar note, I've never seen those accusing cops of misdeeds before the facts are in...come back once an investigation clears them and admit they were wrong and just spreading hatred towards cops.

Or they genuinely understand that first reports of this type tend to be geared towards generating outrage...and often the truth is less biased.

You know...either or lol.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,588.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's a fair point. On a similar note, I've never seen those accusing cops of misdeeds before the facts are in...come back once an investigation clears them and admit they were wrong and just spreading hatred towards cops.

Or they genuinely understand that first reports of this type tend to be geared towards generating outrage...and often the truth is less biased.

You know...either or lol.
Obviously the police is always justified and never at fault.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Found a little more about what may have happened.

One woman who saw what happened said the officer was running out from the bar. She asked CBS 2 not to show her face on camera.

“You hear the crowd yelling and screaming, but when he comes out of that door with that gun up, it’s just pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop,” she said. “The other officers were out here. They know him. They seen him, and once the police actually shot him, everybody started screaming. The officers started screaming, ‘He’s one of us. He’s security.’”
Family Files Federal Lawsuit After Police Officer Kills Security Guard While Responding To Bar Shooting

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,588.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Found a little more about what may have happened.

One woman who saw what happened said the officer was running out from the bar. She asked CBS 2 not to show her face on camera.

“You hear the crowd yelling and screaming, but when he comes out of that door with that gun up, it’s just pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop,” she said. “The other officers were out here. They know him. They seen him, and once the police actually shot him, everybody started screaming. The officers started screaming, ‘He’s one of us. He’s security.’”
Family Files Federal Lawsuit After Police Officer Kills Security Guard While Responding To Bar Shooting
Shoot first, ask questions later. Thought that only happened in cowboy flicks. Maybe that cop thought he was in one of them.

Upvote 0