• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD or Satan? Anyone?

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't want to live my everyday life thinking Satan and his demons are after me, attacking me in my mind or anything...To me that is mental illness, and I have overcome that and do not want to go back to it anytime soon. But I see this belief a lot in Christianity and I want to know if this is something that goes hand-in-hand with believing in Jesus or not. The reason I ask is because I have moderate untreated OCD (by choice, I do not like meds) and I can very easily obsess over a thought or feeling--and I have in times past obsessed over feelings and thoughts I believed were from Satan (back in 2009) and had numerous panic attacks and:idea: it wrecked havoc on my life. I would sit on the ground rocking myself back and forth in intense repentance over my bad thoughts thinking I was possessed...praise the Lord I saw the light and have broken free from that hell.

Now that I am getting closer to God after a long period of absense, I am starting the get those old feelings and thoughts again..and I do not know why exactly. Is this OCD only or am I being attacked? Why does this go on...and if you look at mental disorders like OCD (what I have) you can see the two are very related...I don't want to lose my mind or become a nutcase. Help anyone?

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I want to live for Jesus, but I don't want to be crazy. And by crazy I mean doing what I did in 2009--obsessing over feelings thinking Satan is riding my coattails. That is not healthy at all in my opinion. It breaks my heart when I browse the forums and see people suffering from obsessions thinking they committed unpardonable sin...it's almost as if Christianity fuels OCD. This are just my feelings, and I am saddened by it. What do you think? Can us OCD people live for God and still be sane?

I am reminded that Jesus said that He came so we can have life abundant and not to worry about tomorrow...sure doesn't sound like the life I lived with obsessing over Satan!

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most of the time, OCD thoughts are from Satan himself. He wants to lie to you and tell you that this thing that isn't really worth worrying about is the most important thing in your life.

I would really suggest that you take medicine for your troubles, even if you "don't like it". I myself need to get better with my own, but I keep forgetting :doh:

Here's a good way to determine if your worries are unfounded or not:

1. Did I have this thought briefly, or do I obsess over it whenever I have the chance?

2. Is it distressing?

3. Does it contradict biblical principles?

4. Is it encouraging me to do something sinful?

5. If I completely forgot about this, would things go horribly wrong?

So please apply these questions to your problems, and I'll help you with that if you need me to.:hug:

Upvote 0

jusme

May 19, 2012
Mississippi, USA
✟8,810.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I want to live for Jesus, but I don't want to be crazy. And by crazy I mean doing what I did in 2009--obsessing over feelings thinking Satan is riding my coattails. That is not healthy at all in my opinion. It breaks my heart when I browse the forums and see people suffering from obsessions thinking they committed unpardonable sin...it's almost as if Christianity fuels OCD. This are just my feelings, and I am saddened by it. What do you think? Can us OCD people live for God and still be sane?

I am reminded that Jesus said that He came so we can have life abundant and not to worry about tomorrow...sure doesn't sound like the life I lived with obsessing over Satan!

Well, I myself have had struggles with the same line of thinking as you. I believe OCD is real and I do take medication for it. As far as the devil is concerned... We have to remember, as born again Christians, he has no power over us, we have overcome him in Jesus Christ, he is a defeated foe. If we did experience an attack from the devil however, it would have to be approved by God and He says He will not allow us to be tempted more than we can bear, but, with the temptation will make a way to escape. We have to remember... as Christians we "belong" to God, we are His prized possession and He is not willing to give not one of us up. Especially not to the one whom He defeated on the cross. We have to remember that we are "more than conquers in Christ Jesus". I have heard some people say, "the next time the devil reminds you of your past, remind him of his future". I would rather say, don't even acknowledge him, but instead focus on who Jesus is and who you are in Him.

God Bless you!

Upvote 0

FreeInChrist88

Jan 11, 2009
✟37,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now that I am getting closer to God after a long period of absense, I am starting the get those old feelings and thoughts again..and I do not know why exactly. Is this OCD only or am I being attacked? Why does this go on...and if you look at mental disorders like OCD (what I have) you can see the two are very related...I don't want to lose my mind or become a nutcase. Help anyone?

I remember struggling with the same things when I was a young adult. I was also a young Christian and wanted to follow God with my whole heart. I remember it felt like a living hell. I could never get any peace. I seldom felt like I was pleasing God. I was tormented by thoughts that I would do something and end up opening my life up to the devil. I was afraid demons were oppressing me and would take over my life. Thank God, I eventually got past that torment although I've still struggled with obsessive tendencies most of my adult life.

Currently, I am working with a psychiatrist and taking medication. I finally feel like I am making real progress in overcoming my issues with obsessive thoughts. This is the closest I've ever felt to God in my adult life. I think it's because I've been able to get past the torment of obsessiveness.

Based on what you've said and my own experience, it sounds like OCD is messing with your spiritual life. Just my thoughts, but I think it is better to step back and realize that OCD is causing this torment for you. Getting absorbed with all of these questions about "Is it OCD or the devil?" only compounds the problem.

Upvote 0