• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD and football

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So my alma mater (Fresno State), played and won today, so I guess I really did sell my soul....

I can hardly enjoy one of my few hobbies (college football) without this type of intrusive thought. I used to root in quirky, funny ways, like sitting in a certain position, putting my cap on in certain ways (many of the goofy superstitions of athletes and sports fans). Now it's this stupid idea that I would "sell my soul" for a win during an anxious moment of the game. It's such an intrusion, and actually takes the joy out of the game. I'm either fighting it or TRYING to ignore it - both strategies make it worse. Eventually it revs up and I either "feel" that I have, or will just get too anxious to enjoy anything. Once the anxiety sets in, all potential enjoyment is gone.

The problem is, and this is ocd in general, once that spin cycle starts, there is no stopping it until I either run (too late I've put in 14 miles today and still have this lousy feeling), take a Klonopin (10 minutes and counting), or sleep it off (I am so different in the morning).

Of course, now that I have twins on the way, my ocd is going that way too. I guess there is now a "package deal." I don't even feel right about making jokes like this, but I am sick of it. One obsession gets conquered, then, like a nasty bacteria it morphs into another that appears to be resistant to my attempts to ignore it.

There is to my knowledge, no Biblical account, or even such a thing as selling your soul to the devil. Yet, it seems to pop up (predictably but unexpectedly).

Hope I didn't scare anybody.

stacii

Jan 14, 2007
✟7,909.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Marc,
Congrats on the twins! That is exciting. I'll be praying for you and your wife - my experience has been that pregnancy is just awful awful...hopefully for her it will be a breeze.

I have the same kind of thoughts when something that I want to happen actually happens. I know it's silly, but I haven't figured out how to actually convince myself of what I know - that you can't accidentally sell your soul to help your team win a football game or to have a healthy baby or anything else. Your soul has already been paid for and the devil doesn't have the means to buy it back from God.

I always kind of wonder why I feel like the devil has this hold on me. The devil is a loser. It's funny, because you don't want UNDERestimate his ability to lie and deceive, but you also don't want to OVERestimate his power - which is what I think we do every time we obsess over this. Don't give the devil too much credit - he sucks...

Just a question - how long does it take you to recoup from an OCD spike like that? Are you really all better after a run or after a night's sleep? I need several days, and during those several days I really need to pray that nothing else gives me a spike or else I need to keep adding days. I just get so scared that I'm going to be anxious and panicking forever - which as you know isn't true.

Upvote 0

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marc,
Congrats on the twins! That is exciting. I'll be praying for you and your wife - my experience has been that pregnancy is just awful awful...hopefully for her it will be a breeze.

Thank you so very much for your prayers. So far, so good. My wife has a little sciatic pain that just started, but we have been blessed with a great pregnancy so far. We had 6 years of infertility. This struggle strengthened our faith on so many levels. These babies are truly God's answer to our prayers.

I have the same kind of thoughts when something that I want to happen actually happens. I know it's silly, but I haven't figured out how to actually convince myself of what I know - that you can't accidentally sell your soul to help your team win a football game or to have a healthy baby or anything else. Your soul has already been paid for and the devil doesn't have the means to buy it back from God.

I agree!

I always kind of wonder why I feel like the devil has this hold on me. The devil is a loser. It's funny, because you don't want UNDERestimate his ability to lie and deceive, but you also don't want to OVERestimate his power - which is what I think we do every time we obsess over this. Don't give the devil too much credit - he sucks...

Amen!

Just a question - how long does it take you to recoup from an OCD spike like that? Are you really all better after a run or after a night's sleep? I need several days, and during those several days I really need to pray that nothing else gives me a spike or else I need to keep adding days. I just get so scared that I'm going to be anxious and panicking forever - which as you know isn't true.

It's getting much better, thank you. Not all better after a run, and / or Klonopin, or a night's sleep, but much better. It's almost predictable. Mid afternoon I start getting burnt and more susceptible to the thoughts bothering me. I get home with "that feeling" and "have" to run it out. It varies.

I have just been praying that God would continue to give me a higher view of how He works. That takes the pressure off me. I've been a self-defeater from way back and it's finally in the realm of my faith. The more I realize it's not about me, the better I feel. The amazing thing is -- it's true. It's not about me and how I feel. It's easier when I feel well, but nothing changes when I don't. That's the key. This is the best I have been doing. Believe me, it has taken almost 2 years of being able to get to this point. For the first year or so, thoughts were consuming and almost crippling for days and weeks.

Thank you again for your response and kindness. We are the body of Christ. If we treat eachother with this kind of an understanding and non-judgemental manner, then how much more merciful will He Himself be to us?

Happy New Year!

Upvote 0

Jayangel81

Child of the Most High
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2007
Long Island Ny, USA
✟49,584.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reading youre post reminded me of an episode i had.

I was driving back from like the grocery store and this thought went in my head, "If phone rings and its my mom ill sell my soul" Freaking thing happened was the phone rang and it was my mom"...I was so freaked out

I dont think that was the only episode, i think at the time i thought maybe i did.. I dont think i knew about OCD at the time so i couldnt even blame it on it :(

Just remember that youre soul now belongs to Christ, So rest assured that there is no way you can sell it.

Ill keep you in my prayers

Ps Congradulatrions on the twins, i bet youre excited :)

God Bless

brother in Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.