Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So is Obama going to pay an extra $4k/year from now on for his coverage out of his own pocket? I think not...

1.) Does he still smoke?
2.) That's up to the terms of his insurance provider, isn't it?

It's easy to make these kinds of rules when you know they won't apply to you...

I don't know if I've ever been on a plan that didn't charge smokers more.

-Dan.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1.) Does he still smoke?

-Dan.

Yeah, but now it's obama's fault that reality still exists.

It's like when he visited areas ravage by hurricane sandy. Sure, it was like that when he got there, but since we was now present, it became his fault.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1.) Does he still smoke?

-Dan.

They all charge smokers more...but not to the tune of 50% more.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They all charge smokers more...but not to the tune of 50% more.

life insurance rates appear to about double from a quick google search. a little fix to the search finds a source citing up to 41% more for health insurance for smokers currently.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If we are going to raise health premiums on smokers, why don't we also nail obese people? Might as well, since Obama is also nailing tanning booths. What's next, driving? Driving a car is just too dangerous! Not to mention all those green house emissions!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Merope

Apr 29, 2011
✟1,726.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If we are going to raise health premiums on smokers, why don't we also nail obese people? Might as well, since Obama is also nailing tanning booths. What's next, driving? Driving a car is just too dangerous! Not to mention all those green house emissions!

A fine idea. Fat is just a lifestyle choice as is tanning and driving. While we're at it: Gun owners should be charged more since you're 41 times more likely to injure yourself with your own gun as opposed to being injured or killed by someone else's gun.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Many health plans have incentives for going to a gym regularly, so in a sense, fat people who don't exercise are penalized.

-Dan.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many health plans have incentives for going to a gym regularly, so in a sense, fat people who don't exercise are penalized.

-Dan.

Getting hit with higher rates vs. not getting a discount aren't quite the same.

For some reason, there's a social stigma pertaining to calling out fat people that doesn't seem to exist in terms of calling out smokers.

Example: If you walked outside and lit up, it wouldn't be odd for someone to say "What are you doing? That'll kill you, you should stop smoking".

However, if I did the same thing to a fat person walking down the street eating an ice cream cone, it'd be considered "insensitive"

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Smoking is 100% pure lifestyle choice. No upside whatsoever.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

For some reason, there's a social stigma pertaining to calling out fat people that doesn't seem to exist in terms of calling out smokers.

Example: If you walked outside and lit up, it wouldn't be odd for someone to say "What are you doing? That'll kill you, you should stop smoking".

However, if I did the same thing to a fat person walking down the street eating an ice cream cone, it'd be considered "insensitive"

A good percent of fat people are fat because they ultimately make choices that make them fat. There are legitimate medical reasons that people carry around extra pounds too. If someone has an underactive thyroid, that's a medical condition. There is no equivalent with smoking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Anyone eating bacon should be taxed more. You know this stuff ain't good for ya! :D

Dang.

Thems fightin words.

If they seriously try to do this I'm finally going to need to buy a gun!

That or look into some really nasty poisons.

Don't mess with my bacon.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[serious];62316639 said:
A good percent of fat people are fat because they ultimately make choices that make them fat. There are legitimate medical reasons that people carry around extra pounds too. If someone has an underactive thyroid, that's a medical condition. There is no equivalent with smoking.

I know there's some rare medical conditions that can cause it...but let's pretend for the sake of argument we're talking about 2 family members, one who smokes, and the other who eats way too much...

It's socially acceptable to chastise the smoker, the same can't be said about the over-eater.

That was the point I was trying to make.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Dang.

Thems fightin words.

If they seriously try to do this I'm finally going to need to buy a gun!

That or look into some really nasty poisons.

Don't mess with my bacon.

Yes, my point is the fallacy of trying to influence behavior through federal regulation. Didn't they learn anything with prohibition?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Mathematically, it's identical. There may be some difference in the ability of each to effect change in behavior (i.e. people react differently to incentives that are structure in different ways), but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Well, to be fair - there are a lot of factors that can be at play in a person's being fat, some of which are outside the person's control. Yes, there are general habits people ought to follow, but two people can have the same diet and exercise regimen and wind up with wildly different results. In order to fairly call someone out for bad behavior, you need a lot more context to do so about their weight than you would if they were smoking.

It's socially acceptable to chastise the smoker, the same can't be said about the over-eater.

Maybe this is a regional thing, but I don't really find this to be the case. Are we talking about addressing strangers or addressing people we know? Because around here, eating fatty food is just as likely to garner comments as is smoking. If it's someone you know, comments may be made. If it's someone you don't know, comments won't be made. Even up here in enlightened New England, walking up to a big guy and calling him fat is a good way to get your butt kicked.

-Dan.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe this is a regional thing, but I don't really find this to be the case. Are we talking about addressing strangers or addressing people we know? Because around here, eating fatty food is just as likely to garner comments as is smoking. If it's someone you know, comments may be made. If it's someone you don't know, comments won't be made.

-Dan.

Perhaps it could be a regional thing...not sure.

I'm talking about either strangers or people you know.

Let's pretend for a moment you're in a work environment. If a smoker was walking up a flight of stairs, got winded, and a co-worker said "What's the matter, those smokes catching up with ya? ;)", it's very unlikely that they would get in any trouble. However, if a fat person was walking up that same flight of stairs, got winded, and a co-worker said "What's the matter, those donuts catching up with ya? ;)"...they'd more than likely be sitting in HR's office watching a sensitivity training video and being briefed on the company's anti-harassment policy.

Even up here in enlightened New England, walking up to a big guy and calling him fat is a good way to get your butt kicked.

Not really, you just gotta run faster than the fat guy ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, my point is the fallacy of trying to influence behavior through federal regulation. Didn't they learn anything with prohibition?
They did not attempt to flat out ban cigarettes
They have been putting out public health info
They have been increasing the cost of them to provide a further financial disincentive.
Smoking rates have been about cut in half since the 60s

Apparently they have learned their lesson

Upvote 0

Merope

Apr 29, 2011
✟1,726.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
[serious];62320139 said:
They did not attempt to flat out ban cigarettes
They have been putting out public health info
They have been increasing the cost of them to provide a further financial disincentive.
Smoking rates have been about cut in half since the 60s

Apparently they have learned their lesson

I heard a curious statistic on the radio the other day. Apparently the number of young women who start smoking is outpacing the number of young men who start smoking for the first time in US history. Not surprisingly: lung cancer rates in women are going up faster than men. It sounds to me like some of the message is being ignored.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I heard a curious statistic on the radio the other day. Apparently the number of young women who start smoking is outpacing the number of young men who start smoking for the first time in US history. Not surprisingly: lung cancer rates in women are going up faster than men. It sounds to me like some of the message is being ignored.

Or that men are just listening to it more.

-Dan.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

CDC - Lung Cancer Trends

Lung cancer rates are not increasing.

Upvote 0