Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Especially considering the fact that a large, if not majority, portion of the Catholic populous is actually totally okay with this law.
The right to the free exercise of religion is not by consensus :wave:

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is not what I said.

I said I believed it was a right, and should be treated as one. When you said it wasn't one because it wasn't mentioned in the Constitution, I pointed out that it doesn't need to be. From there, you went off the rails.

Please pay better attention in the future.

-- A2SG, you also should familiarize yourself with the Constitution too, while your'e at it.....
Please pay attention as well to the fact that when someone else is footing the bill, it isn't a right in any way shape or form

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No you're not sorry, and no it's not your "points". It's your constant need to put down anyone who disagrees with your train of (il)logic.
Funny how you are fine with putting people down yourself with that cute little reference to illogic.

Here, want to see another put down

Yes, he excels at that.
Noting your silence

I think that establishes which side of the aisle the putdowns are coming from

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The right to the free exercise of religion is not by consensus :wave:

And yet you feel it's your duty to proclaim that an entire group of people's religious rights are being violated even if they themselves do not believe it.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that establishes which side of the aisle the putdowns are coming from

That was not a put down, it was a statement of fact. You DO excel at missing the point.

-- A2SG, it was a little tongue in cheek, given the allusion, but nonetheless accurate....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Please pay attention as well to the fact that when someone else is footing the bill, it isn't a right in any way shape or form

Wrong.

You're not footing the bill for this website, are you? And yet, you still get to exercise your right to free speech on it. You don't foot the bill for your local newspaper, but they'll still (probably) print your letter to the editor if you send it to them, thus allowing you to exercise your right to free speech. You don't foot the bill for the radio station in your area, but if you call into their talk show, you can still exercise your right to free speech on the air.

If you're arrested, even in a state where you don't live and don't pay taxes, the state will still foot the bill for a lawyer, if you can't afford one.

If you have a mortgage for your house, the bank foot the bill to pay for it, but you still retain property rights to that house, not the bank. Also, if you give someone something as a gift, it becomes their property, not yours, even though you foot the bill for it.

And further, even if you foot the bill for your employee's time, that does NOT mean you have the right to do anything you want with that time.

You misunderstand the concept of rights.

-- A2SG, another thing you excel at....

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet you feel it's your duty to proclaim that an entire group of people's religious rights are being violated even if they themselves do not believe it.
Which entire group of people did I specify?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wrong.

You're not footing the bill for this website, are you? And yet, you still get to exercise your right to free speech on it. You don't foot the bill for your local newspaper, but they'll still (probably) print your letter to the editor if you send it to them, thus allowing you to exercise your right to free speech. You don't foot the bill for the radio station in your area, but if you call into their talk show, you can still exercise your right to free speech on the air.

If you're arrested, even in a state where you don't live and don't pay taxes, the state will still foot the bill for a lawyer, if you can't afford one.

If you have a mortgage for your house, the bank foot the bill to pay for it, but you still retain property rights to that house, not the bank. Also, if you give someone something as a gift, it becomes their property, not yours, even though you foot the bill for it.

And further, even if you foot the bill for your employee's time, that does NOT mean you have the right to do anything you want with that time.

You misunderstand the concept of rights.

-- A2SG, another thing you excel at....
For example, nobody is footing the bill here at CF for my freedom of speech. My participation here is at the pleasure if someone else and is a benefit offered which can be taken away.

Nothing you describe is a right. Not one. the closest you got was the point about the public defender, which is actually no right at all, but rather a benefit provided by the state.
So it is not me having difficulty with the concept of rights.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For example, nobody is footing the bill here at CF for my freedom of speech. My participation here is at the pleasure if someone else and is a benefit offered which can be taken away.

Nothing you describe is a right. Not one. the closest you got was the point about the public defender, which is actually no right at all, but rather a benefit provided by the state.

There are different types of rights, look it up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Not according to the SCOTUS.

I must say you have one of the oddest views on rights that I have ever seen. But something tells me it isn't about rights, it is about being right.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not according to the SCOTUS.

I must say you have one of the oddest views on rights that I have ever seen. But something tells me it isn't about rights, it is about being right.
I'm not the one here claiming that some people have the RIGHT to use the government to force others to pay for their medicine. :wave:

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not the one here claiming that some people have the RIGHT to use the government to force others to pay for their medicine. :wave:
You stated that if someone else pays for something it is not a right. That is flat out wrong. You have the right to counsel, if you cannot afford a lawyer one will be appointed to you free of charge. That is a right, not a benefit. Even those Gitmo terrorists get that one. I can transfer property rights to anything that I own to anyone else completely free of charge. I paid for the property, they get to enjoy the rights that come with owning it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You stated that if someone else pays for something it is not a right. That is flat out wrong. You have the right to counsel, if you cannot afford a lawyer one will be appointed to you free of charge. That is a right, not a benefit. Even those Gitmo terrorists get that one. I can transfer property rights to anything that I own to anyone else completely free of charge. I paid for the property, they get to enjoy the rights that come with owning it.
We call that a right, but in fact it is not. It is a privilege and a benefit offered by the state

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.